• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast in Downtown Toronto

foodieherb

Hello, people!

Thanks to the detailed and heartfelt reviews of you Egulleters, my wife and I will be celebrating our anniversary this weekend at Perigee, Splendido, and Rodney's Oyster Bar. The one factor we've overlooked is where to head for our breakfasts! Any suggestions will be most appreciated.

-Herbie

PS

Detailed reports with pictures will follow our adventures!

I'd check out the patrician grill at 219 king e, just east of sherbourne. nice greasy spoon and good prices. they open saturdays at 8am I think and they're closed on sundays

ns

There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves - Fergus Henderson

Dunno if I'd recommend the Patrician, but it would be the yin to the yang of the other places you're eating at! It's an old-school, timewarp, greasy-spoon diner. I like it a lot.

Lots of places do brunch on the weekend. Many of them seem quite popular. I don't really get it. I guess I'm not really a brunch guy. Others may have a better informed opinion on this than I.

Dim sum in Chinatown might be an idea. On the high end there's Lei Wah Heen (did I spell that right?). I'll let others suggest possible alternatives.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

I second the vote for the St. Lawrence, a peameal sandwiche from carousel with honey mustard (mmm). I was never a big fan of the Patrician, myself, just another greasy-spoon/diner (we ate there a lot when I attended GBC). There are, of course, the ubiquotous egg places: Eggspectation, Eggstacy, and the one near the ROM, Over Easy. I think Pho or Dim Sum both make excellent brunch meals. Lei Wah Heen is very nice, but a little pricey for a brunch/breakfast. I have always had a thing for the Pickle Barrel's deep fried French Toast. Does the King Edward still do Sunday Brunch Buffets? You could always go to a Bakery like the United Dairy or more upscale Rahier Patisserie on Bayview. All you need is some Gryfe's bagels and schmeer and you are set. I know people who swear by the croissants and coffee from Balzac in the G&W Distillery.

There used to be a great diner on the Danforth where everything, the eggs, sausage, and potatoes, were all mixed and cooked together. Can't remember the name of it.

Mark

Edited by Librarian_chef (log)

I don't know if it's still around or how young at heart you and your wife are but my all-time favorite eclectic diner is Mimi's on Bathurst just north of College on the west side. It's beside the "Oakleaf Steam Bath" off all things but the food is out of this world. Hot steaming coffee, homefries, and a mexican omelet that defies description.

Don't be surprised or put off by Mimi if she's got Blue Rodeo blasting and she's smoking a joint - it's all part of the experience.

The other favorite of mine is still the Tuplip on Queen St. East but that's because I can get there quickly and my kids love the staff.

Homer: Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?

Lisa: No.

Homer: Ham?

Lisa: No.

Homer: Pork chops?

Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.

Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal. (The Simpsons)

i'll second mimi's. there's no sign, just look for the oak leaf steam baths on bathurst north of queen.

saving grace is worth checking out also (dundas and grace, west of bathurst) - pumpkin waffles are a good start to any day.

people really like auntie's and uncles and there are some definite high points on the menu - it's on a little side street off college just east of bathurst.

le select on queen is a nice french bistro and they have some tasty pastries, good coffee and a very good goat cheese omelette.

"There never was an apple, according to Adam, that wasn't worth the trouble you got into for eating it"

-Neil Gaiman

Bonjour Brioche on Queen. It past the DVP going East, but the french toast is great.

I second Bonjour Broiche... but it gets very busy even with the patio. Their french toast is baked with croissant batter. mmmm... and their tarts (quiche) are the best in the city.

Congratulations on your anniversary.

I secone the dimsum idea, and third the St. Lawrence Market peameal bacon sandwich. My husband and I did both when we visited a few weeks ago.

We skipped Lei Wah Heen (having blown most of our money on Perigee the night before) and headed to Bright Pearl (on Spadina, north of Dundas). They have a "happy hour" discount during off-hours, which includes breakfast (I think until 11:30).

At St. Lawrence Market, be sure to follow the bacon sandwich with dessert. My husband loved the chocolate chunk shortbread cookies at Futures.

Looking forward to seeing your report!

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

Aunties and Uncles is an interesting place, though possibly crowded with hungover hipsters. My neighbourhood place (Yonge and Eglinton) is the Good Bite, greasy spoon that is always packed on the weekends. But the service is efficient (though sometimes surly) and the omelettes and home fries are great. Cheap, too, as breakfast should be. Enjoy your stay regardless... :)

My favorite upscale brunch places in Toronto include...

<ul><li>Mitzi's - the original, on Sorauren. Innovative variations on eggs, pancakes, and french toast with toppings changing every week. Also, lovely fresh juices. No reservations taken, brunch available on Saturday and Sunday. The oatmeal pancake is phenomenal.

<li>Mildred Pierce - SW of Queen and Dovercourt. Elegant and tasty, with nifty juice-based breakfast cocktails. Brunch on Sundays only, no reservations.

<li>Hart House Grill - Third floor of Hart House on the University of Toronto campus. Upscale three-course brunches available, full linens, pleasant surroundings, changing menu. This is the sort of brunch that is up there with the sort of dinners you have scheduled. Sundays only. Reservations taken.</ul>

sworthen makes excellent suggestions. If money is no object, I would add:

Sassafraz - I know it's a kind of trendy Yorkville (i.e., expensive) restaurant that movie stars sometimes frequent, but they have one of the best eggs benedict in town.

Four Seasons Avenue Lounge - quite expensive but they have one of the better brunch buffets

Provence - they also have excellent brunch however I understand they've gone downscale recently so not sure if the quality is still there. Service is very slow however.

• 2 months later...

Not fancy, and out of downtown but the best breakfast place I've been is the New York Diner on Broadview right at the corner of Danforth Ave. If you buy the peameal breakfast, the peameal is the size of a porkchop. Plus you can get the greek roasted potatoes with it, 2 eggs and toast for about $6.

But more than once a month is too much - sigh.