• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How I have lived this long without such a gadget

Gifted Gourmet

A citrus reamer, the hand-held wooden kind that Jeff Smith used to crow about. He drove me nuts and I thought the thing was just for lazy dopes who don't know to roll the fruit before cutting and juicing it. Wrong, buddy.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

A citrus reamer, the hand-held wooden kind that Jeff Smith used to crow about. He drove me nuts and I thought the thing was just for lazy dopes who don't know to roll the fruit before cutting and juicing it. Wrong, buddy.

I LOVE my reamer, and I also bought it because of Jeff Smith. He was big on gadgets, wasn't he?? He also crowed about the Susi garlic press (not as impressive as the reamer, IMO).

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

• 3 weeks later...

And HERE is yet another incredible gadget/appliance that I am sure everyone is panting to rush right out and buy!!!!! :rolleyes:

(The Solutions catalog arrived in today's mail.)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

And HERE is yet another incredible gadget/appliance that I am sure everyone is panting to rush right out and buy!!!!! :rolleyes:

(The Solutions catalog arrived in today's mail.)

I have to say that it is incredibly cute - useless - but cute! :biggrin:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

The season for new gadgets/appliances is definitely here. Inventors with visions of "sugarplums" ($) in their little pointy heads are busy thinking up things to tempt gift givers.

Of course for someone with a minimal kitchen this little gem might come in handy.

And here, no less, is the Gadget of the Month Club!

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

The season for new gadgets/appliances is definitely here.  Inventors with visions of "sugarplums" ($) in their little pointy heads are busy thinking up things to tempt gift givers.

Of course for someone with a minimal kitchen this little gem might come in handy.

I also see they have bamboo toaster tongs on sale for $14.99. I paid 99 cents at my local Asian 99 cents store. ;-)

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

The season for new gadgets/appliances is definitely here.  Inventors with visions of "sugarplums" ($) in their little pointy heads are busy thinking up things to tempt gift givers.

I also see they have bamboo toaster tongs on sale for $14.99. I paid 99 cents at my local Asian 99 cents store. ;-)

I can beat that! Last spring, a local Asian grocery here was giving them away, along with a rice paddle/scoop, when one bought a 10 pound bag of rice. They were in a neat mesh bag that I also have been using ever since to store onions.

When this store first opened, about 10 years ago, they gave away a 12 inch wok with any $25.00 grocery purchase. People were still lined up half-way down the block when I drove past in mid-afternoon. (I already had a wok.)

I can beat that! Last spring, a local Asian grocery here was giving them away, along with a rice paddle/scoop, when one bought a 10 pound bag of rice. They were in a neat mesh bag that I also have been using ever since to store onions.

When this store first opened, about 10 years ago, they gave away a 12 inch wok with any $25.00 grocery purchase. People were still lined up half-way down the block when I drove past in mid-afternoon. (I already had a wok.)

LOL! Here, markets (and banks!) give away rice -- anywhere from 5 pounds to 25 pounds. Everyone here can use more rice!

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs