• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kliman new Washingtonian editor

JPW

I just got off the phone with Mr. Kliman himself.

He plans to continue some of the things he has been doing--critical columns about culture of food such as he writes for the CityPaper. We can expect a new energy, enterprise, wit and humor to Washingtonian.

He plans to continue some of the things he has been doing--critical columns about culture of food such as he writes for the CityPaper. We can expect a new energy, enterprise, wit and humor to Washingtonian.

Thank goodness, because their food writing hasn't been worth the paper it was printed on.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I wonder if the average age of reader will drop because of this. For example, I'm 30 and I am considering subscribing for, like, the first time ever.

I was thinking that this might be an attempt to draw in younger readers, especially with DCStyle and other youth-oriented glossies now competing for ad dollars. A good move on their part. Let's just hoe he doesn't start channeling Robert Shoffner.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Yes, my personal subscription has been known to cause major hiring and staffing changes at many local and national magazines. :laugh:

I think there's lots of reasons they've hired Todd. I don't think it was a rapid decision on anybody's part.

Yes, my personal subscription has been known to cause major hiring and staffing changes at many local and national magazines.  :laugh:

Aw, you know I didn't mean you personally, just a younger audience. :raz:

I think there's lots of reasons they've hired Todd. I don't think it was a rapid decision on anybody's part.

I have to wonder. They have been content with the staus quo for long, and a truly mediocre status quo at that. Why change now?

And this:

Let's just hoe he doesn't start channeling Robert Shoffner.

is a pretty amusing typo, although it's usually spelled "ho".

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I have to wonder. They have been content with the staus quo for long, and a truly mediocre status quo at that. Why change now?

Perhaps Washingtonian realizes they *have* to change. I mean, come on. We've all read Todd's stuff. Do you really think they'd hire him just to have him regurgitate the same crappy restaurant lists from last year's advertising rolls? I don't think he'd be satisfied with that, and I don't think they hired him looking for that either.

I take this as a highly optimistic sign for the future of Washingtonian, personally. And I hope it turns into a great move for Todd himself.

I wonder if his style will change now that the age of his average reader has doubled.

Not to mention that the income of his average reader has quadrupled.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

So, who's up for it?

Farewell, Todd Kliman

We are sad to announce that award-winning food columnist Todd Kliman is leaving Washington City Paper to become the dining editor at the Washingtonian. In his two-plus years with City Paper, Todd has helped build Restaurant Finder into the city's premier online dining resource. We wish Todd great success in the future.

The search for the New Young & Hungry is under way. Interested raters may send resumes, cover letter, and writing samples to:

Restaurant Writer

Washington City Paper

2390 Champlain St. NW

Washington, DC 20009

E-mail: hungry@washingtoncitypaper.com

Bill Russell

I'm impressed they're taking resumes this quickly. Does anybody else remember what happened when Brett Anderson (Kliman's precedessor) left? It took a looooooooooooooong time before Kliman began his new post...over a year.

I take this as a highly optimistic sign for the future of Washingtonian, personally. And I hope it turns into a great move for Todd himself.

Good for us and good for him. :smile: I might even subscribe myself.

I just hope that the advertisers don't have a heavy hand at the Washingtonian. It seems to me that you don't hire Todd Kliman unless you want him to redo the Dining and Food section completely, but that said, the business side may weigh in heavily after a while.....