• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stock in a Pressure Cooker

jackal10

8 hours ago, rotuts said:

@JoNorvelleWalker 

better find what they have in mind before they ship !

suprise.gif.22ce1caccaa6c71d23a7f85424b4d61a.gif

Amazon said nothing was a substitute.  Once they substituted asparagus for parsley, so one never knows.  At least there is no charge when they have to substitute.

Nonetheless the local Shoprite has bone-in chuck on sale this week.  And maybe I can find some miscellaneous old bones.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

23 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Amazon said nothing was a substitute.  Once they substituted asparagus for parsley, so one never knows.  At least there is no charge when they have to substitute.

Nonetheless the local Shoprite has bone-in chuck on sale this week.  And maybe I can find some miscellaneous old bones.

Yep I can see the close relationship between asparagus and parsley. xD   I'd be worried that the replacement for oxtail would be pig snout. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Shoprite still has bone-in chuck on sale but none to sell.*  So I bought some marrow bones and choice chuck, both nice looking.  I thought really hard about pressure cooking till I realized this was not a typical western stock.  The recipe calls for a slow cooker.  I decided to use my KitchenAid precise heat mixing bowl.

But after I'd browned the bones and vegetables, covered them with water and brought everything to a boil as specified I realized this would never fit in the PHMB.

My fallback is to simmer in the oven, where the stock pot is now sitting.  The jury is still out on how well this technique will work.  The oven temperature is a bit erratic for my tastes though the pot of stock ingredients has considerable heat capacity.

Still for a French recipe I think I'd turn towards the pressure cooker.

*To add further insult to injury this Shoprite dropped the Shoprite brand organic cranberry sauce I like.  Obviously they track my purchase history so they can drop the things I like.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou