• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

La Chronique or Toque?

phedre

I've gotten an invite to the french restaurant of my choice in Montreal. Currently, I'm leaning towards Chronique as Toque has been slipping from what I hear, but I thought I'd take it to the egulleters for their opinions :)

So, what do you think? Is Chronique a good choice for a no-holds-barred french meal?

Price is not an obstacle.

Disclaimer: 1) a renunciation of any claim to or connection with; 2) disavowal; 3) a statement made to save one's own ass

I've gotten an invite to the french restaurant of my choice in Montreal. Currently, I'm leaning towards Chronique as Toque has been slipping from what I hear, but I thought I'd take it to the egulleters for their opinions :)

So, what do you think? Is Chronique a good choice for a no-holds-barred french meal?

What about Anise ?

If your sole criterion is to find the FRENCH restaurant of your choice wouldn't les Caprices de Nicolas be a worthy consideration?

On another note, although Toque has received some recent criticism and may have lost its 'king of the heap' reputation, it is still an outstanding restaurant and should be close to the top of anyone's list of Montreal recommendations, IMHO.

:blink:

i think you should just read the gazette, because this is the most reliable source of dining information we have here in montreal and lesley really knows her stuff.

:blink: yeah for sure, the only reliable source!

La Chronique, give them 'carte blanche..

Ambience is another factor. Toqué!'s leaves me cold: pompous, soulless décor; impersonal service. While the orange walls don't do anything for me, La Chronique's space is warm and intimate and the service friendly and just enthusiastic enough; the place doesn't give itself airs.

We recently went to Montreal on holiday. La Chronique is excellent , and certainly its style leans towards the traditional French. We didn't bother with Toque in the end after some quite negative comments heard, so I can't give a direct comparison, but you will definitely enjoy Chronique!

the place doesn't give itself airs

Well, I wouldn't quite agree with that. I have received more than one letter regarding uppity service at La Chronique. Never happened to me, but I can see where they are coming from.

I found the exact opposite - they are immensely helpful.

I really like La Chronique but... Toqué still the best restaurant in town for me. If you look also for a more friendly service type restaurant, Claude Pelletier at Club Chasse et Pêche is really good too.