• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Italian Beef

fiftydollars

Not very authentic, but I make "Italian Beef" in the Crockpot. Basically it's just a chuck or round roast, beef broth, Good Seasons Italian Dressing Mix :shock:, garlic cloves (lots), pepperoncinis and a little of their juice...cooked for 8 - 10 hours on low. We like to shred it and put it back in the juice and then serve it on good buns with melted provolone. It ain't Chicago, but it might help a little to satisfy your cravings...

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Not very authentic, but I make "Italian Beef" in the Crockpot. Basically it's just a chuck or round roast, beef broth, Good Seasons Italian Dressing Mix :shock:, garlic cloves (lots), pepperoncinis and a little of their juice...cooked for 8 - 10 hours on low. We like to shred it and put it back in the juice and then serve it on good buns with melted provolone. It ain't Chicago, but it might help a little to satisfy your cravings...

Don't forget the vinegar peppers!

I Will Be..................

"The Next Food Network Star!"

Chicago Style Italian Beef

1 rump roast, rolled

flour

shortening

6 Cup water, divided

4 beef boullion cubes

1 Tbl oregano

2 Tsp garlic salt

1 Tsp paprika

2/3 Cup reserved broth

6 tiny hot peppers

2 bay leaves

salt and pepper

sliced french bread

pepperoncinis

Coat roast with flour and brown in a little shortening on top of stove.

Drain grease and add 3 c. water. Simmer covered 2-3 hours. Remove meat

from liquid and cool, saving liquid. When meat is cooled, slice thin

with electric knife. Bring remaining ingredients (except bread and

peppercinis) to a boil and add sliced beef. Simmer 1 hour. Remove

peppers and bay leaves. Serve sliced meat pieces on bread soaked with

broth and topped with pepperoncinis.

I recently got a serious urge for an Italian beef sandwich, but living in CA there is nothing close to Italian beef in sight, so I need to take matters into my own hands. Can you please help?

I need to find a recipe for a great Italian beef.

Thanks.

Would you take a stab at listing some quantities? I made something like this before after reading about it on another thread, and it didn't have any flavor beyond just the beef flavor. It tasted fine, but not what I'd call "Italian Beef." I am pretty sure I just didn't use enough seasonings.

Would you take a stab at listing some quantities? I made something like this before after reading about it on another thread, and it didn't have any flavor beyond just the beef flavor. It tasted fine, but not what I'd call "Italian Beef." I am pretty sure I just didn't use enough seasonings.

Here you go!

Italian Beef bottom Round or brisket

Slow-Roasted Beef Rubbed with Onion, Garlic and Italian Seasoning, Moistened with Au Jus

Last Update: 5/1/2003 Portion Size: 3 oz+Au Jus

Yields: 7.5 Pound 15 Pound 30 Pound

Ingredients: Portions: 24 3 oz+Au Jus

Beef stock 3 Quart

Beef Top Round, Raw TRIMMED 5 Pound +

Kosher Salt 1 Tablespoon

Ground Black Pepper 1 1/2 Teaspoon

Granulated Onion 1 1/2 Teaspoon

Granulated Garlic 1 1/2 Teaspoon

Pepprica 1 1/2 Teaspoon

Ground Black Pepper 3/8 Teaspoon

Granulated Onion 3/4 Teaspoon

Granulated Garlic 3/4 Teaspoon

Peperica 1 1/2 Teaspoon

Procedure:

1. Prepare Beef stock.

2. Remove visible silver skin from beef. Cut beef into about 11 lb pieces.

3. Combine salt and 1st listed pepper, onion, garlic and Italian seasoning. Mix well. Rub mixture into beef to completely cover. Hold overnight in refrigerator at internal temperature of 40 degrees F. or below to marinate.

4. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Tie beef pieces with butcher's twine to form even roasts. Place on racks in roasting pans to brown .

5. Pour 1st listed broth in pans. Place pans in oven. Roast, basting frequently or cover with plastic wrap and double foil <VERY IMPORTANT , for 5-6 hours. Remove from oven. Let stand for 10 minutes. D

6.Cook till tender like pot roast.

Portion: Serve 3 oz beef with au jus.

Edited by chefreit (log)

I Will Be..................

"The Next Food Network Star!"

For a 3-lb roast I use about a cup of broth, one packet of Good Seasons, about a head of garlic (smashed & peeled), 10 or so pepperoncinis, about a 1/4 cup of the pepper juice. Sometimes I put oregano and pepper flakes in there too. I find it very flavorful, especially if you let the meat sit in the broth overnight (after you take it out of the Crockpot). I read somewhere that you should really beef (!) up the seasonings when Crockpotting.

Edited by Basilgirl (log)

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I wasn't sure exactly what you met by "Italian Beef," but I like this recipe for Stracoto with rosemary... http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/re...6_28425,00.html

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

Chicago Style Italian Beef

1 rump roast, rolled

flour

shortening

6 Cup water, divided

4 beef boullion cubes

1 Tbl oregano

2 Tsp garlic salt

1 Tsp paprika

2/3 Cup reserved broth

6 tiny hot peppers

2 bay leaves

salt and pepper

sliced french bread

pepperoncinis

Coat roast with flour and brown in a little shortening on top of stove.

Drain grease and add 3 c. water. Simmer covered 2-3 hours. Remove meat

from liquid and cool, saving liquid. When meat is cooled, slice thin

with electric knife. Bring remaining ingredients (except bread and

peppercinis) to a boil and add sliced beef. Simmer 1 hour. Remove

peppers and bay leaves. Serve sliced meat pieces on bread soaked with

broth and topped with pepperoncinis.

I recently got a serious urge for an Italian beef sandwich, but living in CA there is nothing close to Italian beef in sight, so I need to take matters into my own hands. Can you please help?

I need to find a recipe for a great Italian beef.

Thanks.

Welcome to egulle Isabelle Prescott! That's a great first post.

Chicago Style Italian Beef is exactly the thing I need. I can't wait to eat a sandwich...

• 2 years later...

Can any Chicago natives or residents tell me how to cook this stuff? I know having a certain type of Chicago-baked Italian bread is crucial to a good beef, but right now I just want to know how to cook the meat. What's the best cut to use? Do I bake it or simmer it in a pot? Thanks in advance for any information on how to cook top-quality Italian Beef at home.

Can any Chicago natives or residents tell me how to cook this stuff?  I know having a certain type of Chicago-baked Italian bread is crucial to a good beef, but right now I just want to know how to cook the meat.  What's the best cut to use?  Do I bake it or simmer it in a pot?  Thanks in advance for any information on how to cook top-quality Italian Beef at home.

Try this recipe from Gonnella Bread.

brown a chuck roast and put it in a slow cooker.........

seasoning must include fennel seed.........

blah blah blah............pork shoulder works good too......

skim fat or trim very close........

Harry,

There is another thread on this topic with some recipes. Italian Beef

I also have a very simple recipe using a chuck roast.

5 Pounds thick bone-in chuck roast - Salt and pepper to taste

Combine the following spices into a paste:

....1 tsp. paprika

....1 Tbsp. ground Greek oregano

....1 head crushed garlic or 1 Tbsp. garlic powder/salt

....1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes (I grind them)

....1/4 tsp. black pepper

....3 - 4 large minced pepperoncinis

....2 Tbsp. lemon juice

....pepperoncini juice

Rub paste on roast

1 cup chopped onion

2 cups beef stock

5 bay leaves

Place roast in oven with with stuff.

cover and roast in 350 degree oven for 3 hours

Meat should be falling off the bone

Cool, shred by hand and mix well (I usually DO NOT degrease, but you may)

Serve on hot italian rolls with pepperoncinis and horseradish sauce.

Tim

Edited by tim (log)

Aloha! I've had excellent success with this seasoning packet, a chuck roast or whatever else you may select in a roast in my crock pot. Unfortunately we don't have the ideal bread like in Chicago but I've used other long white breads that work. Peppers round out the taste. I've done this for 3 parties so far with some guests who have been to Chicago and had "real" Italian Beef sandwiches to those who have never and everyone was pleased. There is enough juice too for dipping. Try it! www.louieseasoning.com

Although I'm dying for November when I return for a "real" sandwich - a hui hou! :wink:

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

Try this recipe from Gonnella Bread.

Thanks, dls. I would imagine Gonnella's recipe is as authentic as any. It's really not much different than my regular roast beef recipe except for the seasoning, which is what I expected of Italian Beef all along. I'll sear the meat before adding the water and will probably cook it on the stove rather than the oven. If Gonnella's seasoning is anywhere near as good as whatever they use at Mr. Beef I'll be a happy man.

I recall that David Rosengarten's It's All American Food has a recipe (which I haven't tried), but I'm too lazy to go downstairs and get the book at the moment.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

after building the sammich...........

top w/ mozz.......

and broil..........

then put the grated parm or romano........

then the peppers..........

i thought we all knew this............lol

I have never seen a sandwich like theis served.

Living hard will take its toll...

after building the sammich...........

top w/ mozz.......

and broil..........

then put the grated parm or romano........

then the peppers..........

i thought we all knew this............lol

I have never seen a sandwich like theis served.

Pretty common at pizza places. Hot dog stands don't always have an oven.

"And in the meantime, listen to your appetite and play with your food."

Alton Brown, Good Eats