• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brown Bag/Lunchbox Meals for Kids & Adults

snowangel

thanks for the link! i love the idea of rice & eggs & veggies (all good finger food). is there a best way to prepare the rice & eggs so they're stable?

The old standby of peanut butter sandwich is one you don't have to worry about. When my kids were little I would pack their lunch and use a frozen juice pack to keep things cool in their lunch bag. Both kids were very picky. My son ate tuna fish sandwiches every day. No ill effects from spoiled food. Mercury? who knows. Many things will last well in the new insulated lunch bags if you put in an ice pack.

The old standby of peanut butter sandwich is one you don't have to worry about.  When my kids were little I would pack their lunch and use a frozen juice pack to keep things cool in their lunch bag.  Both kids were very picky.  My son ate tuna fish sandwiches every day.  No ill effects from spoiled food.  Mercury? who knows.  Many things will last well in the new insulated lunch bags if you put in an ice pack.

Unfortunately the old standby peanut butter is a no-no in all schools here as far as I know. Too many kids have peanut allergies. But I have helped pack my granddaughter's lunch since she was in JK and the ice packs provide good cooling for the number of hours between arrriving at school and lunch time. She has a two-storey lunch box and her milk resides in the top portion with its own ice pack and the rest of her lunch is in the lower storey with another ice pack. Anything she doesn't eat is still cool when she gets home from school at day's end.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Cheese and crackers with fruit or veggie sticks....

some kids love stuff like pepperoni and salami...remember this was invented way before refridgeration...ummm

I used to walk home for lunch in school...and no one worried about cooties then anyway

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

thanks for the link! i love the idea of rice & eggs & veggies (all good finger food). is there a best way to prepare the rice & eggs so they're stable?

Rice, especially for small kids, is best rolled into rice balls (onigiri). These can be seasoned with anything you desire. The smaller the kid the smaller the balls should be. The balls should be formed when hot and then cooled to room temperature before adding to the lunch box. They are fine without ice for quite a while, the Japanese have been eating them this way for centuries. :biggrin:

Eggs for small kid's bentos are best as slightly sweetened omelettes, the salt and sugar help keep them fresh for a couple hours without refrigeration. Another great thing for small children are boiled quail eggs, the perfect size for little mouths. :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 4 months later...

Another school year is right around the corner. For those of us in Georgia, some kids went back to school this past week. Even if it's 90+ degrees, we're back into the routine.

I'm a teacher, and like the kids, can either buy my lunch or bring it from home. Now, my school has a fairly decent kitchen and I do sometimes buy lunch. The problem is time. I have 23 minutes (bell to bell) to eat my lunch and getting down to the cafeteria on the other side of the building is not always an option. And frankly, I'm tired of only heating up leftovers (no matter how good those leftovers might be), so... I'm taking suggestions.

Be creative, people. Remember being a kid and pulling something great out of the lunchbox? That's what I'm looking for... only this time I'm not trading up for a Ho Ho.

“The secret of good cooking is, first, having a love of it… If you’re convinced that cooking is drudgery, you’re never going to be good at it, and you might as well warm up something frozen.”

~ James Beard

My favorite brown-bag sandwich: homemade egg salad on rye/pump with alfalfa sprouts and thinly sliced radishes.

I'm also a big fan of the cold salad plate, any number of combos made up of hard-cooked egg halves or deviled eggs, a bit of leftover meat, and cold cooked (roasted, grilled, sauteed, or simply steamed) vegetables like asparagus, broccoli, peppers, green beans, or carrots, arranged on a plate and garnished with some kind of interesting-but-easy dip -- mayo with wasabi or sesame oil, or orange zest and mint, or chives and lemon zest, or...

~ Lori in PA

My blog: http://inmykitcheninmylife.blogspot.com/

My egullet blog: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=89647&hl=

"Cooking is not a chore, it is a joy."

- Julia Child

Hey, what's wrong with a Ho Ho?

One of my favorite cold salads is made with chick peas, cherry tomatoes, basil, onions, lots of garlic, and crumbled feta in a light vinaigrette. It's great if it's marinated overnight to let the flavors blend together.

Then again, with all that garlic, you just may scare the kiddies. :wacko:

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Thank you Toliver!

I should learn to search before I ask :rolleyes:

And really, I love Ho Hos.. as a matter of fact, my husband's favorite concoction of mine is Chocolate Ho Ho (or Swiss Cake Roll) Ice Cream.

“The secret of good cooking is, first, having a love of it… If you’re convinced that cooking is drudgery, you’re never going to be good at it, and you might as well warm up something frozen.”

~ James Beard

• 3 years later...

I'm a high school student who is always looking for new and exciting dishes to bring for a lunch*. I love molecular gastronomy and am searching for fun&accessible flavor pairings to throw into the fold. (pun on mixing ingredients was intended hahah) Does anyone have ideas for me? thanks a bunch!

*Ideally they would travel/heat well, but flavor reigns supreme of course. :P

You could consider ditching the brown bag and upgrading to Bentos. :smile: Not really a specific dish idea, I know...

Hahaha the paper bag was kind of a hypothetical. I have an igloo brand insulated tote :biggrin:

*also: thank you for the link to the Bento thread! I had never seen, or even heard of one actually, prior to your reply. I'm constantly seeking out new information and prospectives!

Edited by clove2873 (log)

Great thread idea!

What kinds of food you like? It might help us get inspired for you. Asian? Mex? TexMex? etc.

Do you have access to a microwave?

Grace

Grace Piper, host of Fearless Cooking

www.fearlesscooking.tv

My eGullet Blog: What I ate for one week Nov. 2010

Subscribe to my 5 minute video podcast through iTunes, just search for Fearless Cooking

Great thread idea!

What kinds of food you like? It might help us get inspired for you. Asian? Mex? TexMex? etc.

Do you have access to a microwave?

Grace

Thanks! &as far as preferences are concerned, well, I have none :)

I was born to an adventurous eater (my mother) who, when asked what foods she likes, responds: "..everything! Except raisins, that is. Everything but raisins." hahaha She has instilled in me that very same open mindedness, which I am forever grateful for :)

And yes: thanks be to Nina Cox, the greatest lunch lady in the whole wide world, I do have access to a microwave. :)

• 8 years later...

20180118_183545.thumb.jpg.e3ebcc147fed8c5a00010882c07a2c2d.jpg

Modern art? Tar pit?

Not quite. The desperate attempt of a time poor mum, whose only child starts school for the first time on Monday, and who stupidly joined a group called 'lunchbox mums' on Fb? You got it. 

So I spent every spare second at work ( all 5) Googling 'easy freezable lunchbox'. Baking is not my thing, hate it, I am no alchemist :/. But I will try. 

Any one have any ideas, please share. 

20180118_184239.thumb.jpg.31f19ecb0264902b8974f7b4a39a48e8.jpg

Cheese & Vegemite Scrolls. 

20180118_200738.thumb.jpg.d86767b3fc82afe663752db798d0a6ed.jpg

I tried... but it certainly won't meet the lunch box mums standard! 

• Like 2

Honestly, for my 6yo we have a very small list of things he's interested in. If he doesn't want the school lunch, he takes either cold cuts/lunchmeat rolled up with crackers (we call them "lunchables" and he loves it), or a bagel w/ cream cheese & smoked salmon, a sunflower seed butter & jelly or something similar. Mac& cheese in a thermos is popular, too. Simple is fine at that age, don't fall into the "pinterest mom" trap :) . Heck, my lunch is either leftovers or a salad or the occasional sandwich.  

• Like 1

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

7 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Modern art? Tar pit?

Not quite. The desperate attempt of a time poor mum, whose only child starts school for the first time on Monday, and who stupidly joined a group called 'lunchbox mums' on Fb? You got it. 

So I spent every spare second at work ( all 5) Googling 'easy freezable lunchbox'. Baking is not my thing, hate it, I am no alchemist :/. But I will try. 

Any one have any ideas, please share. 

Cheese & Vegemite Scrolls. 

20180118_200738.thumb.jpg.d86767b3fc82afe663752db798d0a6ed.jpg

Looks fine to me.  I'm with @Allura, you don't need a group judging your lunchboxes.  I don't have any ideas to offer (no kids) but I'm pretty sure there were a number of discussions about kids lunches around here.  I'll add a link if I can find one.  

Edited by barolo
removed a few pictures to make post shorter and easier to read (log)

Cheers,

Anne

7 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Be aware, that "standard" is often achieved by making a few dozen batches and only photographing the best of them.* Comparisons, as they say, are odious. If your young 'un likes eating it, that's all that counts.

*(or by combing Google Image Search to find something similar, executed by a more competent cook/photographer) 

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Starting about here in the Bento topic, Fat Guy (the late Steven Shaw) chronicles his son's lunches. They are appealing, nutritius and mostly assembly, not elaborate prep  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1