• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

kdl1221

kdl1221

Deleted

Deleted 

kdl1221

kdl1221

Something I stumbled across with my 7 year old, is the fact that whenever I make homemade pizza, he and his 13 year old brother end up finishing it off straight from the fridge...no heating; which, hey, cold pizza can be a guy's best friend.

Given that I can select the ingredients and toppings, and generally "mix it up" from week to week, I've decided that home made pizza (i.e. high protein, quality flour, quality cheeses and veggies), with the 7 year old's input on toppings will surely be a staple in his lunchbox this year.

My son also begs for cold pizza for lunch! I know this is partially a "hey, my mom sent me with her pizza for lunch!" type thing...

Good timing for this thread!

As some of you may know from another thread, my daughter (who'll be 9 next month) was just diagnosed with diabetes. She's a picky eater, so making sure that she eats the required amount of carbs & protein for lunch at school can be difficult. In the past, if she hasn't liked what they have for lunch, she's left it over. She can't do that any more.

So I'm hungry for lunch ideas she will eat!  (30 grams starchy carbs, 2 ounces protein, 1 fruit)

Some good ideas here... keep 'em coming!

Last year I would send my son with ham and cheese rolled up, and stick some chopped black olives in the middle.

I know some things my doctor recommend for me to eat, while having gestational diabetes, that was very good I might add, was a tortilla with cream cheese and crumbled bacon. That would go well in a lunch, or basically anything on a tortilla or pita bread even (lunch meat, chicken salad, tuna with spinach) Sugar free pudding... yumm :wub:

This year, my son has been banished from bringing his lunch box, since he kept leaving it at school... and we gave up on those cute little containers for veggie dip, etc... those amazingly vanished each day. So, for this year so far.. we have opted for those brown paper bags. I am a little obssessive/compulsive when it comes to 'room temp' foods. So, he has yet to take any meats/cheeses.

Snow peas were always a big lunch hit. We also do rice crispy treats and granola. I send him with sandwich, fruit (either actual or juice), veggie, a carb like pb crackers, and then something sweet. He can really eat/drink sometimes though, and is able to use his account to get a milk if he is thirsty. (Don't ask me why but his school won't let the kids up to drink water)

Tomorrow he gets cold olive pizza! (Can you guess he has a thing for olives)

~Kim