• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Advance Buzz on Ki

jamiemaw

I've heard only that Ki is:

1. Opening in late September

2. 11,000 square feet

3. Cost $7 million and counting

4. Is to be operated by David Aisenstat, Canada's largest independent restaurateur (c. 100 properties; 2004 sales c. $360 million)

5. Modern Japanese (whatever that means--izakaya?) with bovine opportunities

Can you help fill in the blanks?

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

2. 11,000 square feet

4. Will be operated by David Aisenstat, Canada's largest independent restaurateur (c. 100 properties; 2004 sales c. $360 million)

Sounds like this should be in the business section.

Thank you Jamie for this update. The Ki website http://www.kijapanese.com/ is of no use since it is still under construction. I have been walking by this site (s/e corner Bay and Wellington) for some time wondering what Ki was - from Vancouver you have filled in many of the blanks that I had, hopefully others can provide more information. Now, what about Houstons on the s/e corner of Yonge and Wellington?

They had a fashionable "help wanted" sign out yesterday when I was walking back to the office. I am sure it will do well for lunches during the week. I am never sure if there is enough traffic in the area for solid dinners all the time though, especially with the number of places around there and so little traffic after about 7:30. I will check it out provided the entrée prices are not like others in the area. I miss Bon (sp?) that used to be in Vancouver just at Broadway past main and perhaps Ki will be similar style Japanese cuisine. Just my 2 cents.

officially left egullet....

2. 11,000 square feet

4. Will be operated by David Aisenstat, Canada's largest independent restaurateur (c. 100 properties; 2004 sales c. $360 million)

Sounds like this should be in the business section.

George W.  I have been walking by this site (s/e corner Bay and Wellington)

Actually, I think they call this area the financial district in Toronto. Thanks, George.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Mark is certainly correct, this is not a high-traffic area in the evenings. I have to think that the backers of Ki and Houston's re-entry into the Toronto market must be counting on a change. With ex-restaurateur Harry Stinson's 51- storey Suites at 1 King W just about to open, plus a flurry of other current and future developments nearby, it will be interesting to see if this will be enough to give these places a customer base to build on. Time will tell.

Edited by George W. (log)

• 3 weeks later...
I know that the new Sommelier is one that I consider to be one of the best in the city... and she's a lovely lady to boot!

Thanks ND, M.D.

I'm looking forward to returning the favour (James Chatto reviewed several Vancouver restaurants in Toronto Life's August edition) later this month.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

I know that the new Sommelier is one that I consider to be one of the best in the city... and she's a lovely lady to boot!

Isn't her experience at a steakhouse? Not sure how transferable that experience will be.

Any reason for the "one of the best in the city" when it comes to matching foods (other than steak) with wine?

NOTE: On rereading this it seems as if I might be criticizing - this isn't my intent; I have no knowledge of her experience other than with steak.

Walked by Ki ( S/E corner Bay and Wellington) today and they are putting on the finishing touches. According to one of the workers they were supposed to open today but this has been delayed until Friday. From what I could see the inside looked to be in good shape, there were restaurant personnel on site and it looked like they were trying out the kitchen and bar.

"Isn't her experience at a steakhouse? Not sure how transferable that experience will be.Any reason for the "one of the best in the city" when it comes to matching foods (other than steak) with wine?"

April's wine talents transcend anything that a "Steak House" (sic) could challenge her with.

She is "one of the best in the city" as she has a consistently superb and trusted palate, a splendid and dextrous demeanour...

...and a killer smile...

...is that good enough for you?

Trust me, I know.

Edited by Nondoctor (log)

"nil illigitimum carborundum"

• 1 month later...
Reviewed in today's Star. It was not favourable - although some good things were said about the servers and the meat dishes. Haven't been there myself, don't know anybody who has.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

It sounded to me as if the review was written after only one visit. Is that the usual protocol for Star reviewers?

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Reviewed in today's Star. It was not favourable - although some good things were said about the servers and the meat dishes. Haven't been there myself, don't know anybody who has.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

It sounded to me as if the review was written after only one visit. Is that the usual protocol for Star reviewers?

I don't know if there is a particular protocol at the Star, but my impression is that there is usually at least a couple of visits. But, I don't know for certain.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby