• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plate Writing

Holly Moore

Plate painting has been around for quite a while, to the point that I have even encountered versions in Jersey diners.

However the chef at Boothbay Harbor Maine's finest, Christopher's Boathouse, has devised an approach I have not seen even in the finer New York City restaurants.

Christophers-LambShank.jpg

I am unsure of the purpose of labeling the dish.  Perhaps to help our server distinguish between lamb shanks and grilled salmon, perhaps to reassure this diner that he was indeed receiving the lamb shank as ordered.

I used a tine of my dinner fork to change the "H" in shank to a "P" but I suspect my jocularity was lost on the dish machine operator.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Redrum. Redrum. Redrum.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Anyone remember the 60s b-movie "Horror Hotel", which dissolved from a demon about to impale a blade into a young woman's head, to  a blade about to dissect a birthday cake. Great suffix, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Handwriting on the plate seems another case of food following the visual fine arts.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

at nobu in NYC, the pastry chef wrote "happy birthday alan" on my plate.

i just want to take this opporutunity to remind everyone that my name is not "alan." :unsure:

Makes you wonder what Alan got for HIS birthday.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

i just want to take this opporutunity to remind everyone that my name is not "alan." :unsure:

Probably a plate that said HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOMMY!! :laugh::laugh:

Perhaps.

But perhaps the chef, having been alerted beforehand that this particular birthday dinner was in honor of Tommy, an internationally-known food writer (which he certainly is, writing daily about food to a worldwide eGullet audience), decided instead to prepare a croquembouche, "choux" (or creampuffs) filled with crème patissière and strategically "glued" together with cooked sugar to form a mountain, and then, before adding the final spun sugar strands, to frost it with meringue at the top and a pale brown chocolate ganache at the bottom to resemble Mt. Vesuvius, and decorate it with small “trees” of candied rosemary, oregano and thyme, fronted by deep-aqua-coloured marzipan in an exact replica of the Bay of Naples, complete with small chocolate fishing boats, then to drizzle it with the traditional spun sugar strands and finally, to top it off with a jigger of warmed brandy shoved down into its lofty peak, which the chef, in a grand flourish and, being careful to avoid his toque, he then lighted, and proudly presented to a stunned Alan.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Perhaps.

But perhaps the chef, having been alerted beforehand that this particular birthday dinner was in honor of Tommy, an internationally-known food writer (which he certainly is, writing daily about food to a worldwide eGullet audience), decided instead to prepare a croquembouche, "choux" (or creampuffs) filled with crème patissière and strategically "glued" together with cooked sugar to form a mountain, and then, before adding the final spun sugar strands, to frost it with meringue at the top and a pale brown chocolate ganache at the bottom to resemble Mt. Vesuvius, and decorate it with small “trees” of candied rosemary, oregano and thyme, fronted by deep-aqua-coloured marzipan in an exact replica of the Bay of Naples, complete with small chocolate fishing boats, then to drizzle it with the traditional spun sugar strands and finally, to top it off with a jigger of warmed brandy shoved down into its lofty peak, which the chef, in a grand flourish and, being careful to avoid his toque, he then lighted, and proudly presented to a stunned Alan.

Surely, surely.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

probably a punch in the mouth! :shock:

Perhaps, perhaps.

Hope Rachel has the plate writing logo of eGullet (complete with dancing mouse-in-tummy guy) down pat.

You'll probably be wanting to do that exact design for all upcoming festive dinners in Jason's honor, right? :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps.

Jaymes, I have been thinking about that :

Spectacular Dessert!

I have friends who are going to Italy and I want to make it for them. Can I have the recipe??????

:biggrin::biggrin:

Perhaps.

Spectacular Dessert!

I have friends who are going to Italy and I want to make it for them. Can I have the recipe??????

SURE!!!

First: Get map of Bay of Naples

Second: Get bottle of brandy for "flaming volcano"

Third: Peruse map while sipping brandy to throughly familiarize yourself with it.

Fourth: Throughly familiarize yourself with map, as well.

When you've completed these steps, get back with me and I will tell you how to proceed from there.

[quote name=MaggieW' date='Jul 10 2002, 12:58

Spectacular Dessert!

SURE!!!

Third: Peruse map while sipping brandy to throughly familiarize yourself with it.

When you've completed these steps, get back with me and I will tell you how to proceed from there.

You're kidding, right?

:biggrin:

Not to stray too far off topic, but how was your meal at Christophers, Holly?  We ate there last fall and had a really nice dinner.  I don't, however, recall any writing on our plates--I would've remembered that.

Christopher's was fine, especially by summertime Maine Standards. After two weeks I needed a break from seafood and Christophers came through nicely.

One thing I remember is ramp on the menu. I asked if it was Maine ramp and it was, which surprised me as I think of the southern Appalachians for ramp.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Spectacular Dessert!

I have friends who are going to Italy and I want to make it for them.  Can I have the recipe??????

:biggrin:  :biggrin:

SURE!!!

You're kidding, right?

I AM kidding about the "exact replica of the Bay of Naples" part....

It's unlikely anyone will notice if it's just off by a degree or two.