• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

new taco truck in SE Portland

Actually, a little bit before 33rd, if you're coming from downtown on Powell. After the Safari yuckyness and before the Cash Store yuckyness. It's in the parking lot of a newly painted dark green automotive place. We hopped off the bus after work and asked for one each of the al pastor and lengua. Sadly, he had no lengua and we settled for tripa. He also had pollo and asada. Cabeza was on the menu but also unavailable. The tacos were $1 each. They're traditiional in the sense that you get two little white corn tortillas (not handmade) but they were cooked a little crisper then I like. The al pastor was very good, much better then the truck up on Division in the same hood. I'm not sure where the tripa is supposed to hit texture-wise because I only have eaten it in menudo or in Chinese dishes where it's soft. Here it was a little two chewy for me, but tasty and crispy. There were two salsas and an avacado tomato pico de gallo type thing. The green one was a very nice roasted tomatillo one, the red was the kind from dried chillies and had a little vinegar. I liked them both. I was a little surprised to be asked if I wanted sour cream on the tacos, and turned it down, but went with the onions and cilantro and a hunk of lime (which is more what I'm used to).

After we relished our snack we started chatting and asking about hours. He's there all weekday, and Saturday this weekend, but maybe not Sunday. Business wasn't that good last Sunday. He asked what we thought of the menu, because he's still working on it. Turns out he had lengua last week and all the gringos got grossed out and he couldn't sell it. That makes me sad because it's my favorite filling for tacos. He said a couple of guys were asking for it, and now us, so he'll try to have it next time. He's trying to make this go in an unusual location, with a clientel more used the McDs and Wendy's near by, so I understand about all the burritos on the menu and asking about sour cream on tacos, but it made me cringe. This was a very solid place, and we'd really like to see him stick around, so if you're in the SE and hungry, go check it out!

regards,

trillium

Edited by trillium (log)

Are there any more taco trucks in the Portland area and does anyone have more detailed directions form downtown? My mom and her husband will be back in Portland for a few days in September and I know her husband would love this.

There are taco trucks all over town, but they move around sometimes. Like Matthew mentioned, the best are all out on the outskirts of Portland, but this one wasn't bad. Will your mom have a car or be busing it? How far would they go for a good taco from a truck? Powell is what you end up on when you cross the river using the Ross Island Bridge.

regards,

trillium

She will be spending a considerable amount of time and the Bullseye glass factory and her husband will have to amuse himself and the dogs. The last time I was there with her, we spent 3 hours at the factory. It's located at around SE 33rd, near Powell, so the outskirts aren't that much trouble. I think they're getting better at navigating the city as this will be trip #3 in a very short period of time.

She will be spending a considerable amount of time and the Bullseye glass factory and her husband will have to amuse himself and the dogs.  The last time I was there with her, we spent 3 hours at the factory.  It's located at around SE 33rd, near Powell, so the outskirts aren't that much trouble.  I think they're getting better at navigating the city as this will be trip #3 in a very short period of time.

It sounds totally do-able then. For other good, laid back eating stuff close to the area I like Henry's Cafe for breakfast or the Savoy Tavern and Bistro from 5pm on, on 26th and Clinton (few blocks north of Powell), the nightlight bar on 21st and Clinton (when it's not too crowded and smokey) has pretty good food. Other good bets are Apizza Scholls W-Sun (gets very crowded) and in the same location L.O.W. BBQ on Monday, Cafe Castagna and Ken's Place. They're all on Hawthorne. For cheap lawnmower beer and really good fried chicken and jojos, ReelemInn is our favorite, it's on Division, as is Pix Patissiere if they have a sweet tooth.

regards,

trillium