• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

worst rum

Bill Poster

I think you're referencing the actual story of Bacardi's litigation to trademark the name Cuba Libre, wherein they gave their version of the invention of the drink.

That may be true, Rebecca. With Bacardi inventing their own history about just about every aspect of the birth of rum, it is hard to stay clear on what's "true" and what is not "true"... :huh: You start to consider even the true stories as Bacardi marketing propaganda... :wacko:

Edited by Kristian (log)

...Just thinking we are a little off subject..

I don't see how, as Bacardi IS generally one of the worst rums! However, anyone's political posit IS off post, so let's all stay friendly and talk about the important stuff, the rum!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

DERF, are you drinking Bois Bande rum?? :wacko:

Not Yet. :biggrin:

Is it any good, or should we add it to the Worst Rum List ?

I'll have to try some if I need a little something to help keep me up on those long cold winter nights. :biggrin:

-------------------------------------Freedom is Not Free-----------------------------------------

----------------------- Blues Bruthas & Sistahs Stealth Society (BBSSS) -----------------------

Love my S2K, Just Point & GO, But watch out for Da BEARS and keep her rubber side down!

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it still make a noise ?????

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Founder and Member #001-03-06-06

I have only tried bois bande rum once. Bois bande is a tree bark (native to parts of the caribbean) which the locals soak in rum or tea for its aphrodisiac effects.

It probably was one of the worst tasting rums I have tried, tho I don't know if that was down to the rum or the rather earthy Bois Bande taste. Dunno if you can get it where you are. Here are some-

Kweyol bois bande

Macoucherie Elixor of Bois Bande

BlackBeard's Bois bande

Bois Bande bark is bitter but the old women in the market tell me the root of the tree is even better for men, as they put it.

Harvesting the root of the tree kills the tree and is even more bitter than the bark. Since alcohol is a solvent, the higher the proof rum used the better the results, to a point.

But with all this discussion of bad rums, bois bande has to be high on my short list.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Industria Licorera de Bolivar 3 y/o Gold from Colombia.

A friend of mine brought a small bottle of this back from a visit to Cartagena. The rum is very thin and has a very strange dark brownish gold color. It's not very good but I don't know if it's the worst rum ever.

David

Hello. I'm brand new to the forum but have taken up tasting rum in the last year.

So far, the biggest dissapointment in tasting rum has been one made Ron Pampero, given to me by a fellow who worked a trade show.. I belive it was was Ron Pampero Especial. Definately not Pampero Deluxe or Anniversario. Just tasted way too overproofed. Not a sipping rum at all, which was a dissapointment since I've heard so much praise over its sibling, Ron Pampero Anniversario. It didn't even mix well, which I tried to save it after it failed the straight up and with water test. So, if anyone in South Florid wants a newly cracked open bottle of mysterious Pampero, its yours.

I agree with everyone about Capt. Morgan and Bacardi. Now that I have been educated on finer rums, to have any of that stuff is like going from a fine wine to Mad Dog 20/20. Just too harsh. :blink::angry:

I did one have the luxury of smelling the cork of a Bacardi bottle from the pre-Castro years. It was quite lovely. I truly do believe now that Bacardi isn't the same upon being transplanted to another island with different soil. It may have once been Fine, but it is definately a shadow of its former self.

Too get back on track I also Hate Bacardi Gold, and I don't like the 8yr old so much either.  :wink:

Though we disagree on the Bacardi 8yr old, the raging cat was the smile of the week!!

Thanks,

Kevin

Hello Kevin, I liked the Raging Cat also, The Cat may have offended some cat lovers and was removed. :(

Bought another Bottle of Bacardi 8yr old to give it a second shot. The 8yr old is a lot better than Bacardi Gold. However the 8 yr old still has the same Barcardi signature aftertaste as the Gold.

I think for the money, I would rather have a Bottle of Bacardi Anejo which is the only Bacardi Rum I have found so far that I seem to like.

I'll keep trying to find the Best Rum, and I'm sure I'll come across some more to add to the Worst collection. :wink:

-------------------------------------Freedom is Not Free-----------------------------------------

----------------------- Blues Bruthas & Sistahs Stealth Society (BBSSS) -----------------------

Love my S2K, Just Point & GO, But watch out for Da BEARS and keep her rubber side down!

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it still make a noise ?????

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Founder and Member #001-03-06-06

I've tried Pusser's Blue Label that is available here in the US because it claimed to be closest to the original Royal Navy rum ration. That would have to also go on my short list. It seems incredibly young and unrefined (a tad hot) with a heavy caramelized taste to it.

Too get back on track I also Hate Bacardi Gold, and I don't like the 8yr old so much either.  :wink:

Though we disagree on the Bacardi 8yr old, the raging cat was the smile of the week!!

Thanks,

Kevin

Hello Kevin, I liked the Raging Cat also, The Cat may have offended some cat lovers and was removed. :(

Bought another Bottle of Bacardi 8yr old to give it a second shot. The 8yr old is a lot better than Bacardi Gold. However the 8 yr old still has the same Barcardi signature aftertaste as the Gold.

I think for the money, I would rather have a Bottle of Bacardi Anejo which is the only Bacardi Rum I have found so far that I seem to like.

I'll keep trying to find the Best Rum, and I'm sure I'll come across some more to add to the Worst collection. :wink:

It seems the girl with the large pillows on the race car was also deemed offensive :unsure:.

I know what you mean in re Bacardi, and haven't bought any in years (the 8yo was a gift). I have a bottle of Pusser's Navy which will likely last years and years and I find it almost undrinkable. I bought a bottle of Pusser's Painkiller mix, but that didn't help.

My membership in the Dark Side is born of Cruzan Navy Blackstrap & Cola

Thanks,

Kevin #002-03-06-07 (I think)

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

For those of you who like mixed rum drinks, try this:

Take 1 glass and fill it 1/3 with Meyer's Dark Rum, 1/3 with fresh squeezed orange juice, 1/3 with sparkling water, and a squeeze of lime. Add ice, shake, and enjoy!

I was at a bar in the Florida Keys many years ago and I kept ordering those, and finally the bartender asked if there was a name for the drink. It just happened that across the street was a Dive Shop with a sign out front that said "Night Dives" so I looked the bartender square in the eyes and said, "Yes, it's called a Night Dive!!!"

A few weeks later I drove up to the same bar and there was a sign out front that said "Try our new Night Dives!" Hey, I'm a trend setter!!! :cool:

DERF...try a Night Dive...you'll like it!

Edited by LunaSea (log)

Meyer's, I wouldn't call it the WORST, but it's never been a rum I'd want to drink. Of course, mixed into other things... it isn't completely terrible. Still, blah.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Take 1 glass and fill it 1/3 with Meyer's Dark Rum, 1/3 with fresh squeezed orange juice, 1/3 with sparkling water, and a squeeze of lime. Add ice, shake, and enjoy!

I was at a bar in the Florida Keys many years ago and I kept ordering those, and finally the bartender asked if there was a name for the drink. It just happened that across the street was a Dive Shop with a sign out front that said "Night Dives" so I looked the bartender square in the eyes and said, "Yes, it's called a Night Dive!!!"

A few weeks later I drove up to the same bar and there was a sign out front that said "Try our new Night Dives!" Hey, I'm a trend setter!!! :cool:

I'm Game, However I think I'll use Gosling's Black Seal instead of the Meyer's Dark Rum and call the Drink, Night Black Seal Dive.

The Meyer's might need to be added to the Worst Rum List, it comes close in my book when used as a sipping Rum.

Myer's is on my white list for mixing and black list for sipping. I did have a good Planters Punch, in Philadelphia, made with Myer's. That redeemed it from my black list as a mixer.

I made the terrible mistake of ordering a shot of Meyer's Dark Rum at a bar once, only because it was the best rum on the shelf (so you can well imagine what else they had!) and the only reason I finished the glass was because it cost $10 a shot (I was on South Beach in Miami). So I made two mistakes, going to South Beach, and ordering Meyer's straight! :blink:

Mixed, however, it can make an interesting and refreshing beverage. It does tend to turn orange juice into a godawful color though!

I made the terrible mistake of ordering a shot of Meyer's Dark Rum at a bar once, only because it was the best rum on the shelf (so you can well imagine what else they had!) and the only reason I finished the glass was because it cost $10 a shot (I was on South Beach in Miami). So I made two mistakes, going to South Beach, and ordering Meyer's straight! :blink:

I did the exact same thing for the exact same reason in New Orleans once... But I did ask for a splash of water when I tasted the thing and realised how bad it was...

Edited by Kristian (log)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
Just as I've yet to find a rum made from fresh sugar cane juice on an English-speaking island that is even close to the worst of the sugar cane juice rums on the French islands, the French seem to have become very proficient at making bad rum from molasses.

I dunno, "Rivers-Slightly Overproof"(actually around 170 proof!) from Grenada is pretty godawful. A lot of the locals actually prefer it, so it must be an acquired taste.

But with all this discussion of bad rums, bois bande has to be high on my short list.

Try some of bartender Elvis Andrew's "Under the Counter" at the Tropicana Hotel in Grenada. It not only has bois bande roots, but also the biggest d*mned millipedes I've ever seen along with a lot of other unknown thingies! A very interesting drink!

Is it just me or does Pusser's rum suck too?

Mixed with coconut milk and orange juice, who cares? :laugh:

That's the way we drank that stuff in the British Virgin Islands on board a sailboat.

Davydd

It is just an Anglicized Welsh spelling for David to celebrate my English/Welsh ancestry. The Welsh have no "v" in their alphabet or it would be spelled Dafydd.

I must warn you. My passion is the Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich

Now blogging: Pork Tenderloin Sandwich Blog