• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

worst rum

Bill Poster

The worst rum I've ever had is "10 Cane". It had this strong, nasty vegatable smell to it, and an even funkier taste. Locally it costs $40 a bottle...and I wound up sending it down the drain. I couldn't even mix it - that foul veggie taste couldn't be masked at all. Impossible to drink.

Sea Wynde, blended by whisky guru Jim Murray, has received quite a bit of hype but is also near the top of my list of bad rums. It is designed to mimic the taste of the original British Navy Rum...

While I won't say it was anywhere near the worst rum I've tasted, I didn't really care for Sea Wynde. I had read an article which reviewed it very favorably and called it a, "rum for bourbon lovers." I bought it blind for a bourbon loving friend who was starting to get into rum. I don't have enough rum experience to say whether it tastes like British Navy Rum or not. To me, the Sea Wynde tasted like the blender was trying to mimic the flavor of scotch whisky with cane spirits. Unfortunately, my friend doesn't really care for scotch or rum trying to be scotch.

Anyway, I learned an important lesson, don't buy gift alcohol you haven't first tried.

edited to fix some grammar.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer to mix my Rum with Coke, however I tend to mix at 50/50 with the smother more tasty Rums.

The worst Rums that I have tried so far, are Captian Nelson and Barbarossa. Also High on the worst list is Coruba and Bacardi 151.

Pyrat XO reserve and Gosling's are my two Favorites for under $30 a bottle.

The Pyrat is a little hard to find, so I order it by the Case. :biggrin:

-------------------------------------Freedom is Not Free-----------------------------------------

----------------------- Blues Bruthas & Sistahs Stealth Society (BBSSS) -----------------------

Love my S2K, Just Point & GO, But watch out for Da BEARS and keep her rubber side down!

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it still make a noise ?????

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Founder and Member #001-03-06-06

Yes Kristian, I prefer to mix with Coke, however I also like to drink neat or on the rocks with Top Shelf Rums.

Also like to Blend different Rums, or layer them in my drink with or without Coke. :biggrin:

The Better Rums are Great to float on top of a High Quality Rum n Coke Mixed Drink.

I also Like my Rum n Coke's in a 36 oz Tumbler :biggrin:

-------------------------------------Freedom is Not Free-----------------------------------------

----------------------- Blues Bruthas & Sistahs Stealth Society (BBSSS) -----------------------

Love my S2K, Just Point & GO, But watch out for Da BEARS and keep her rubber side down!

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it still make a noise ?????

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Founder and Member #001-03-06-06

I prefer not to add lime also. and I prefer Pyrat XO or Gosling"s Black Seal 50/50 mix. :biggrin:

Why would you use low quality rum in a mixed drink? That kind of thinking confuses me. Do you think that you can't taste the rum any longer? Someone dissed me for a similar bit, I feel so sorry for him, his taste buds can only discern good rum when he drinks it neat, so he can't enjoy a decent mixed drink.

Now, see, when it comes to the Coca Cola, THEN I'm fussy! I can't stand the corn syrup stuff, and I only have Coca Cola when I can find it bottled in a sugar formulation!

Rebecca263, who drinks plenty of rum, neat and otherwise.... :laugh::laugh:

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

In Cuba rum has historically been the drink of choice, and Coca Cola was a very popular drink, as well, many years ago.

Here's a very basic rundown, because I'm a very basic girl. A Cuba Libre, rum and Coca Cola, is called such because, hey, they WEREN'T free and we were the big kid next door who was supposed to help them get free.

During the Spanish-American War in the late 1800's American soldiers took Coca-Cola, with them when they went to fight for Cuban independence. The soldiers invented a new drink, the Cuba Libre, which which was Coca-Cola, rum (supposedly Bacardi, as stated in court proceedings to trademark the name, by the Bacardi family, but I'm guessing that's not exactly true), and a lime wedge.

Now, if it WAS Bacardi, you can bet it NEEDED liberal amounts of Coca Cola to cut the taste, but lots of Cubans say that's just a marketing tactic by the Bacardi family, and that it was just any Cuban rum used.

I once had a Cuba Libre that the bartender put bitters in- at a bar in Atlanta Georgia. :blink: I didn't really like it, and I never figured out why, either.

Remember, this was over a hundred years ago, Coca Cola was not the high fructose/corn syrup loving creation that it is now, it was still being made with coca leaves, and it was considered very special.

edited by me to add: Oh, yeah, I forgot to tell you, some of my friends call this La Mentira now, because it's not true, and Cuba is not free, in their eyes.

Edited by Rebecca263 (log)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Now, see, when it comes to the Coca Cola, THEN I'm fussy! I can't stand the corn syrup stuff, and I only have Coca Cola when I can find it bottled in a sugar formulation!

With Passover coming up mid-April, you should be able to score sugar-Coke with out trouble. And my cousin who used to live in Teaneck brought me a couple of six pack cans which I greatly prefer to the 2-liter bottles that are usually available. Scope out any Kosher butchers or grocers in areas with a bigger Jewish poulation for those (near) perfect Cuba cocktails :smile: .

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

It"s just that I cannot understand mixing quality rums with anything else.

Why not ?

Some Folks get tired of the same Rum and Coke drink, and they may want to try different Rums to Discover the Best Mixed Drink. Come on over to my Garage, and have a Drink, I'll Blend a Very Good Rum n Coke for Ya :biggrin: Trust me, :cool: You Would Love it, and Want Another.

Getting some small Barrels Soon to Blend and Age my Own Flavors. :smile: Could always use a little help with that project :biggrin:

Rebecca263, who drinks plenty of rum, neat and otherwise.... :laugh:  :laugh:

Hello Rebecca, and Thanks for your support, some people just don't understand that we are all Different. :biggrin:

I'll have to try the Sugar Formulation Coke, I'm open minded and Love to try something New. Seems like it might have a Lighter Taste and let the Rum Flavor stand out a little more.

Doesn't drinking a Top Shelf spirit and mixing it with anything defeat the purpose?

Maybe it's just me...

Why do some people Drive a Sports Car when all you need to do is get from point A to point B ?

This post has been edited to delete off-topic jpgs.

Some people also like driving cats :biggrin:

Maybe we are all just a little Different. :biggrin:

Too get back on track I also Hate Bacardi Gold, and I don't like the 8yr old so much either. :wink:

Too get back on track I also Hate Bacardi Gold, and I don't like the 8yr old so much either.  :wink:

Though we disagree on the Bacardi 8yr old, the raging cat was the smile of the week!!

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

DERF, your making me really thirsty. I've only got Diet Coke in the fridge and a bottle of Santa Teresa. Oh what the hell..

Any Run in Coke is better than :wink: No Rum n Coke :biggrin:

Edited by Ed Hamilton (log)

Too get back on track I also Hate Bacardi Gold, and I don't like the 8yr old so much either.  :wink:

Though we disagree on the Bacardi 8yr old, the raging cat was the smile of the week!!

Thanks,

Kevin

Didn't mean to run you over on the 8 yr old,

But I always like to leave a smile.

American soldiers took Coca-Cola, with them when they went to fight for Cuban independence.  The soldiers invented a new drink, the Cuba Libre, which which was Coca-Cola, rum (supposedly Bacardi, as stated in court proceedings to trademark the name, by the Bacardi family, but I'm guessing that's not exactly true), and a lime wedge.

Actually, I read that Bacardi made the whole "American soldiers" thing up in order to market their rum in, well, the US. It was just one small detail between the Bacardi family and the US government and Bacardi's private war against Castro (they even bought some bombers, intending to smash Castro's palace). In the deal between the US and Bacardi, including the Cuban trade embargo, Bacardi funded a part of the election campaigns of a couple of US presidents, Bush the Elder and Clinton (it was Bush who signed the embargo papers in Miami in 1992 with the management of Bacardi in return for 550 000 dollars of campaign funds).

Source:

Hernando Calvo Ospina:

Ron Bacardí. La guerra oculta

Red de consumo solidario, Madrid 2000

But back to the topic (we had one!?), I can well understand mixing some, say 7yo rum with coke, like Havana Club 7, but I would never do it with some 23-year-old, or even a 15-year-old...

Actually, I have never done it even with HC7, but that's mainly because rum is so expensive in Finland that it would feel like wasting it...

Well, Kristian, your theory could work, except that my friend Marta's grandfather drank Cuba Libres in the 1960's and 1970's, and he told me the story back then, and said that his first alcoholic drink as a young Cuban in the 1920's was a Cuba Libre. I think you're referencing the actual story of Bacardi's litigation to trademark the name Cuba Libre, wherein they gave their version of the invention of the drink. They did not prevail. Of course, many Cubans do not drink Bacardi, because it not made in Cuba any longer, but in Puerto Rico. They'll drink other rums that are not from Cuba, so I don't pretend to understand why.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma