• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

worst rum

Bill Poster

what's the consensus amongst you rum experts about Mount Gay? I LIKED it!

Well I'm no expert, but I know what I like, and I like Mount Gay Rums. I keep a bottle of Eclipse for mixing, but I also like sipping the Mount Gay Extra Old. I have a lot of rums on my "to try list," but Mount Gay has earned a slot in my rum locker.

• 2 weeks later...

I like Mount Gay as well. It is one of my 3 standbys, the other 2 being Appleton Gold and Gosling's Dark Seal. As I'm writing this, I'm trying/sipping Cruzan Single Barrel.

Whit

what's the consensus amongst you rum experts about Mount Gay? I LIKED it!

Well I'm no expert, but I know what I like, and I like Mount Gay Rums. I keep a bottle of Eclipse for mixing, but I also like sipping the Mount Gay Extra Old. I have a lot of rums on my "to try list," but Mount Gay has earned a slot in my rum locker.

• 4 weeks later...

the worst rum i've ever tried was an agricole from mauritious, not green parrot ort parrot bay but there younger newer agricole.

it tasted like burnt rubber initially then left a lasting taste of fish.

never tasted anything like it, its almost worth trying for interests sake, although remember drinking it in front of the rep at the time and trying incredibly hard not to spit the thing back out again.

'the trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass'

mine has to be Sailor jerry's. A shame because the packaging was lovely.

The worst rum in the world has to be any French supermarket rum. The French just do not get rum at all.

Even in the French islands, the supermarket rums can be a bit dodgey at best. While there is a lot of discussion that rhum agricole can make a good drink, it shouldn't be overlooked that the French also make an almost equal amount of rum from molasses, called "rhum traditionnel." Just as I've yet to find a rum made from fresh sugar cane juice on an English-speaking island that is even close to the worst of the sugar cane juice rums on the French islands, the French seem to have become very proficient at making bad rum from molasses.

There are a number of reasons for this disparity, fermentation and distillation are only part of the story. Some things just can't be translated.

Ed, 10 cane is made in an english speaking "island" and made of 100% pure juice

Ed

mine has to be Sailor jerry's. A shame because the packaging was lovely.

For a spiced rum, i think Sailor Jerry's is pretty drinkable.

Much more so than C. Morgan's. Cheaper, too, at least around here. It's my house spiced rum for those rare occasions when I want spiced rum!

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

I actually quite like Pusser's. :)

The worst, in my experience, is the following :

Sang Sem Similan International Rum, Export Quality Thai Rum. It's bearable for drinking hot as a toddy if you have the mother of all colds, but apart from that it's pretty dire...

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

• 2 weeks later...

I just revisisted a bottle of Captain Morgan Private Reserve I found in a locker on my boat. It wasn't any better than the first time I tried it and after a couple of years less than 2 ounces are gone from the bottle which is a record for opened of bottles of rum on my boat.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

• 2 weeks later...

The rum from Mauritius is called Green Island,bacchant036.They also make a spiced rum. Worst rum i've tasted is STROH from Austria. Taste like a little bit petrol and nothing like rum. I have no idea how they market themselves as a rum ?

When I read about the evils of drinking rum...I stopped reading...because life is too short, so smile and enjoy yourself...

therumman@btinternet.com

Worst rum i've tasted is STROH from Austria. Taste like a little bit petrol and nothing like rum. I have no idea how they market themselves as a rum ?

In Europe, they should not call it rum. We have laws that don't allow you to call anything rum that is not made of sugar cane molasses or the juice.

Edited by Kristian (log)

I mentioned 90 proof Jamaican Sea Wynde rum earlier on this thread but neglected to mention that it costs $90 here in Florida, so not only is it a cheap imitation of good rum, it's a rather expensive cheap imitation as well! :angry: Indeed, it's double the price of rums that I would refer to as very good quality sipping rums, like Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 y/o, Planters Gold OX, and Diplomatico.

I mentioned 90 proof Jamaican Sea Wynde rum . . .  costs $90 here in Florida.

That is just plain shocking. Apparently the distributor and retailer are really marking it up. That rum isn't nearly as expensive in other markets.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Worst rum in the world - Bundaberg Over Proof.

It can't possibly be worse than Wray and Nephew Overproof. Tasted straight, its like rocket fuel.

Although, Bacardi 151 is also pretty nasty, but its designed for flaming, not drinking straight.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I'd have to second Wray & Nephew overproof, with Old Sailor rum in Ireland running a very close second. I will have to make it a point to seek out STROH in Australia, for comparison purposes only.

I've also been meaning to try some Screech since it comes recommended by TikiBarTV.

Yes you're right.

W&N Overproof - is it something like 63%? Seem to remember having a bottle of it 12 years ago and it was bad. Can't believe that I managed to finish it!

Bacardi 151 - yes - vomit enducing stuff - never knew it was for flaming

Oh yes STROH is pretty bad as well.

Bundy OP was really bad as we had a litre bottle with 2 cans of coke (the only possible way of drinking it when you are 18) and the next morning was not good!!

JediNord....ME TOO on the Pyrat XO Reserve!!! But I just got my fifth bottle of Pyrat Cask 23 rum yesterday from a local liquor store in Miami...$239 and worth every luscious drop of it!!!

so... how long a drive from Tampa to Homestead? :raz:

Worst rum in the world - Bundaberg Over Proof.

It can't possibly be worse than Wray and Nephew Overproof. Tasted straight, its like rocket fuel.

Although, Bacardi 151 is also pretty nasty, but its designed for flaming, not drinking straight.

Regarding flaming, the majority of the cases I've seen did not do it right and yielded a small conflagration with singed goatees, chins, and the anterior neck portion. Is there a right, safe way for flaming?