• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Bill Poster

Rhum Agricole: The Topic

Holy thread resurrection!

Seriously considering putting a cheap ti' punch on the Green Zone menu, and therefore am looking for reasonably priced white agricoles, 50% ABV preferably.

JM 100 and La Favorite are probably my two favorites of what I've tried, but Neisson 100 is cheaper (and Duquesne cheaper still). I don't have any JM 100 on hand to test, and my bottle of Neisson is spanking new and probably needs to air a bit. Also I hear the Neisson 105 is a totally different cut and is a lot different. Anyone try it?

Between JM, LF, and Neisson, all at 50%, what are your favorites? @FrogPrincesse? I have personal and professional reasons to favor JM over La Favorite, but for now, taste and price are all I'm interested in.

Posted (edited)

@HassouniIt’s like having to choose between your children! They are all great in their own way. At home, I have or have had at some point the 50 (or 55%, even better if available) versions of Neisson, J.M, La Favorite, Dillon, Clement. I have a sample of the Dusquesne as well but don’t remember liking it as much. My absolute fave is the Capovilla which is sublime in my view, but it’s a different price range!

The others are all excellent options depending on mood. I have a slight preference for La Favorite as you know, with its distinctive and strong aroma (to me, coconut, pear/litchi, and ocean). My husband has a sweet spot for the Neisson which is a bit more subtle. If you can get Neisson for cheaper, I’d probably go for that! (my bottle is the 50%)

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hassouni said:

Holy thread resurrection!

Seriously considering putting a cheap ti' punch on the Green Zone menu, and therefore am looking for reasonably priced white agricoles, 50% ABV preferably.

JM 100 and La Favorite are probably my two favorites of what I've tried, but Neisson 100 is cheaper (and Duquesne cheaper still). I don't have any JM 100 on hand to test, and my bottle of Neisson is spanking new and probably needs to air a bit. Also I hear the Neisson 105 is a totally different cut and is a lot different. Anyone try it?

Between JM, LF, and Neisson, all at 50%, what are your favorites? @FrogPrincesse? I have personal and professional reasons to favor JM over La Favorite, but for now, taste and price are all I'm interested in.

JM does nothing for me.  Nor Neisson 50%.  La Favorite is by far my favorite.  Having La Favorite in my white mai tai at the moment.  But then I tipple La Favorite more nights than not.  For which I blame @FrogPrincesse.

HOWEVER for my ti' punch nothing satisfies but l'Esprit.  I accept one might not call it cheap.

I was not aware of Neisson 105?

On 3/6/2006 at 7:55 PM, gethin said:

German/Punjabi rhum agricole

Bam. Searching Amazon for a new head....

I'm curious to try your drink. I had a Bourbon, Sfumato, creme de peche, Cynar 70 cocktail the other night at Russell House Tavern in Cambridge, MA USA. It sounded good on paper, but the peach dominated both the flavor and sugar balance. Still, I think the concept might be good.