• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rhum Agricole: The Topic

Bill Poster

Holy thread resurrection!

Seriously considering putting a cheap ti' punch on the Green Zone menu, and therefore am looking for reasonably priced white agricoles, 50% ABV preferably.

JM 100 and La Favorite are probably my two favorites of what I've tried, but Neisson 100 is cheaper (and Duquesne cheaper still). I don't have any JM 100 on hand to test, and my bottle of Neisson is spanking new and probably needs to air a bit. Also I hear the Neisson 105 is a totally different cut and is a lot different. Anyone try it?

Between JM, LF, and Neisson, all at 50%, what are your favorites? @FrogPrincesse? I have personal and professional reasons to favor JM over La Favorite, but for now, taste and price are all I'm interested in.

@HassouniIt’s like having to choose between your children! They are all great in their own way. At home, I have or have had at some point the 50 (or 55%, even better if available) versions of Neisson, J.M, La Favorite, Dillon, Clement. I have a sample of the Dusquesne as well but don’t remember liking it as much. My absolute fave is the Capovilla which is sublime in my view, but it’s a different price range!

The others are all excellent options depending on mood. I have a slight preference for La Favorite as you know, with its distinctive and strong aroma (to me, coconut, pear/litchi, and ocean). My husband has a sweet spot for the Neisson which is a bit more subtle. If you can get Neisson for cheaper, I’d probably go for that! (my bottle is the 50%)

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hassouni said:

Holy thread resurrection!

Seriously considering putting a cheap ti' punch on the Green Zone menu, and therefore am looking for reasonably priced white agricoles, 50% ABV preferably.

JM 100 and La Favorite are probably my two favorites of what I've tried, but Neisson 100 is cheaper (and Duquesne cheaper still). I don't have any JM 100 on hand to test, and my bottle of Neisson is spanking new and probably needs to air a bit. Also I hear the Neisson 105 is a totally different cut and is a lot different. Anyone try it?

Between JM, LF, and Neisson, all at 50%, what are your favorites? @FrogPrincesse? I have personal and professional reasons to favor JM over La Favorite, but for now, taste and price are all I'm interested in.

JM does nothing for me.  Nor Neisson 50%.  La Favorite is by far my favorite.  Having La Favorite in my white mai tai at the moment.  But then I tipple La Favorite more nights than not.  For which I blame @FrogPrincesse.

HOWEVER for my ti' punch nothing satisfies but l'Esprit.  I accept one might not call it cheap.

I was not aware of Neisson 105?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 3/6/2006 at 7:55 PM, gethin said:

German/Punjabi rhum agricole

Bam. Searching Amazon for a new head....

I'm curious to try your drink. I had a Bourbon, Sfumato, creme de peche, Cynar 70 cocktail the other night at Russell House Tavern in Cambridge, MA USA. It sounded good on paper, but the peach dominated both the flavor and sugar balance. Still, I think the concept might be good.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

• 1 year later...

Anyone know of a New Jersey distributor for La Favorite Blanc?  My spirits monger has kindly offered to stock La Favorite for me if I can find a distributor he can order from.  As far as I know @Ed Hamilton is still the US importer.  I have not seen Ed around these parts recently but Ed's site lists Maximum Wine Company as the New Jersey distributor.  However Maximum Wine Company is either defunct or they keep themselves well hidden.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit:  Ed Hamilton's commercial portal lists Hunterdon Brewing Company as the New Jersey distributor.  Can't find much information there either.  You'd think Ed would actually like to sell the stuff.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)

1 hour ago, Hassouni said:

Ed is definitely still the importer. If all else fails, you can order from Astor

I have; but it is usually a hassle, shipping is expensive, and I have to be home to take delivery.  The idea of having one of my staple beverages within walking distance is definitely appealing.

10 minutes ago, Hassouni said:

Hunterdon's phone number didnt work?

There's a different number here: https://bearrepublic.com/distributor/hunterdon-brewing-co/

Thanks, sorry for the confusion.  I had a Hunterdon phone number; I meant I could not find much information on their site, such as, oh, say, the brands they carried.  I plan to pass the matter over to my spirits monger.  He should be familiar with their company.  Given that we are one county over.

My spirits monger called his rep at Hunterdon Brewing Company.  No, they do not offer La Favorite.  Though apparently they carry Neisson and Ed Hamilton's other brands.  So, no La Favorite in New Jersey.  If Ed is reading I hope he will remedy the situation.

Will they not special order it? If they have an account with Caribbean Spirits it should be no problem.

On another note, the Green Zone now has @Rafa's Blood Simple on the menu and god damn is it good

82083025_2764327493631363_51669967282676

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Hassouni said:

Will they not special order it? If they have an account with Caribbean Spirits it should be no problem.

On another note, the Green Zone now has @Rafa's Blood Simple on the menu and god damn is it good

I'll have to try that, although the results seem likely to vary with the type of honey. 

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

On 1/10/2020 at 12:27 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Speaking of @Rafa, where is @Rafa?

Busy opening a new resto in Manhattan as bev director and somm

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Although not distilled in the French Caribbean islands, Single Estate  Richland Rum out of Brunswick Georgia is worth looking for. Distilled from sugar cane grown on property and pot stilled 

72F8AC94-5D88-4656-9E54-11F20933C0F4.jpeg

Rhum Agricole is from a column still, is it not?

22 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Rhum Agricole is from a column still, is it not?

most are but it’s not a requirement to be defined as Agricola as far as I know.  Fresh cane juice is and being made in the French islands.  Just thought I’d post a nice American made rum made from fresh cane as it relates to agricole 

it doesn’t taste like your average grassy agricole and definitely not like a molasses based rum 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scubadoo97 said:

most are but it’s not a requirement to be defined as Agricola as far as I know.  Fresh cane juice is and being made in the French islands.  Just thought I’d post a nice American made rum made from fresh cane as it relates to agricole 

it doesn’t taste like your average grassy agricole and definitely not like a molasses based rum 

Looking a little further A.O.C. rhum Martinique is what requires a column still...

https://www.rhum-agricole.net/site/en/index.php?id=fabrication

• 1 year later...

I just noticed what appears to be a small spider in an unopened bottle of La Favorite.  I think it's dead.  The spider.  Would the rhum be safe to drink if I decant it carefully?

Is @Ed Hamilton competing with mezcal?

53 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I just noticed what appears to be a small spider in an unopened bottle of La Favorite.  I think it's dead.  The spider.  Would the rhum be safe to drink if I decant it carefully?

Is @Ed Hamilton competing with mezcal?

Look what happened to the spider.

Proceed with caution.

• Haha 1