• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rhum Agricole: The Topic

Bill Poster

At the risk of offending anyone whom I haven't already offended, I don't care what rum you're drinking, if you're drinking rum and coke you're wasting rum.

Intriguing perspective of which I haven't heard before today. (No offense taken as it would take an enormous lot for me to be offended over rum or whiskey.)

What's the deal with the "Extra Dry" and "Extra Light" products I see on their website?

Is the "Extra Dry" the one you are talking about Ed?

-Erik

Extra Dry is 80 proof, Extra Light is only 70 proof. I drink the Extra Dry which is an aged white rum.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

LunaSea's Rum And Coke Recipe:

2 shots (or more) of high quality rum

1 bottle of coke

Pour coke into a glass. Wash coke bottle thoroughly. Pour rum into empty coke bottle. Enjoy!! :raz:

• 5 months later...

Does anyone know where to get rhum agricole in Ontario? The LCBO doesn't seem to have any in their current inventory and if the LCBO doesn't have it, it is nearly impossible to get in Ontario. Ed mentioned that the LCBO may have inventory of products that aren't listed, has anyone tried that route?

Otherwise, I'm close to the border with Michigan and New York (Niagara region) so does anyone know of a store that sell in these regions? I'm looking for Depaz or La Favorite Rhum.

Thanks

Darcy S. O'Neil

Chemist | Bartender | Writer

Book: Fix the Pumps

Darcy, I too inquired with my local Vintages. I want to get my hands on a bottle of Zacapa, and was told they would put an order in, but typically its a 6 or 12 bottle min. If you are interested in putting together a organized purchase, I would be in.

Darcy, I too inquired with my local Vintages.  I want to get my hands on a bottle of Zacapa, and was told they would put an order in, but typically its a 6 or 12 bottle min.  If you are interested in putting together a organized purchase, I would be in.

You can count me in for this one. Which Zacapa are you looking at getting?

Darcy S. O'Neil

Well, it's a bit of a trip, but Quebec stocks some rhums.

The SAQ recently (over the summer) featured several rhum agricole products from Martinique and Guadeloupe.

Dillon rhum blanc agricole 700 ML

03012991 302046 27,65 $

L'Arbre du Voyageur rhum agricole ambré 1998 700 ML

03700012 112049 134,00 $

Longueteau rhum agricole de la Guadeloupe 700 ML

03357900 002304 30,50 $

Madras rhum vieux ambré 700 ML

03290940 002500 47,50 $

Martinik eau de vie de canne à sucre rhum blanc agricole 700 ML

03172910 019780 27,90 $

Saint James agricole rhum ambré 750 ML

03255537 507066 25,75 $

Saint James agricole rhum blanc 750 ML

03147699 102466 28,65 $

Saint James Paille agricole rhum ambré 750 ML

03147699 102473 28,70 $

Edited by J_Ozzy (log)

Darcy -

I believe it is the Centrino 23 y/o which is about $80?

I am not certain, maybe it is just called Centrino...and I believe it is the second best one by Zacapa next to the 25 y/o.

OK, that's what I thought. There is also a 15 and the XO. The 23 was the one I'm interested in.

Let me know when you gather up enough people to get a case.

Darcy S. O'Neil

I am not certain, maybe it is just called Centrino...and I believe it is the second best one by Zacapa next to the 25 y/o.

The centenario 23 year old I would hardly call their "second best" rum. The 25 year old is nice but I think that on value, it falls short compared to the 23.

One thing to be aware of with RZ Centenario it is not a good mixer and it really is much more syrupy in its texture and sweet in flavor than other rums, its basically a very good after dinner drink and something you have occasionally.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Any good liquor store in NY can get the Zacapa rums. I agree with Jason that you are looking for Ron Zacapa Centenario which is their 23 year old. The packaging was changed a couple of years ago but the product is still very good, although like Jaso pointed out, it is a little sweet, but good.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same question and went to some length to get an answer. I did a write up about it a couple of days ago on my blog, but here is a quick summary.

1. Rhum Agricole is made from fermented sugar cane juice not molasses

2. I find rhum to be very floral on the nose and dry to taste (straight)

You can read the whole review here: Rhum Agricole - La Favorite

Darcy S. O'Neil

By the way, I've been looking all over Paris for La Favorite with no luck.

When talking to importers, it is quite clear that the reason is primarily that (Danish) importers somehow regard French rhums as an unattractive niche in the sense that

* No consumer demand exists (may be true for DK)

* French rhums are second grade quality / not real rum (I'm guessing you don't agree)

It is obvious that the awareness of French rhum needs to be increased. Ed, get to Europe and spread the word :biggrin:

The only french rhums available here are the Clement Rhum Vieux (which I love) and, upon special request, the Clement Agricole Blanc 40% (which I have only managed to drink one glass of).

On a sidenote: Is the Clement Rhum Agricole Blanc 40% a typical rhum agricole? If so, I'm thoroughly disappointed. It's the only one I've been able to get my hands on.

First, very little La Favorite rhum is sold in France, being one of ony two family-owned distilleries in Martinique, La Favorite concentrates on the local and US market.

"* No consumer demand exists."

I've heard that more than once. When I wrote my first book on rum in 1995, publishers at the second-largest book trade convention in the world, took me aside and tried to politely tell me that although I had a nice proposal with lots of nice pictures, there were no books on rum so there was no market for a book on rum. I thanked them and went on to sell more than 10,000 books myself.

Now I am told that there is no demand for rhum agricole in many US bars. Corporate people tell me all the time, that no one has ever come into their bar and asked for French Rhum Agricole. Again I thank them and agree that they are right. Sometime next month, the 1000th - 12 liter case of Martinique rhum agricole will leave the Caribbean Spirits warehouse. Which confirms that there is no market for this stuff, they're right again. But just in case I ordered another 590 cases of rhum from Martinique this morning.

As for Clement 40% rhum blanc - At the risk of getting in trouble with my friends at Clement. I've never seen 40% rhum blanc from any distiller in Martinique. Clement tells me they sell a lot of 40% rhum in Europe but I suspect it is their old rhum to which they are referring.

In Martinique rhum blanc is bottled at 50, 55 or 62% abv. On Marie Galante, you'll find 59% abv rhum blanc.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

My uncle brought a bottle of Zacapa Centenario 23 back from Florida for me. 

Would you happen to know how much he paid for that bottle down there? I'm kind of curious what the average price of Zacapa 23 is.

Thinking of if it's worth it to see if anyone wants to share buying a special order case from the BC Liquor Store in Vancouver, or seeing if a good friend can snag me a bottle when he goes to Illinois next month (depending on availability).

I also assume that there is no difference between "ruhm agricole" and cachaca.  Right?

This gets a little complicated. Yes, there is a huge difference between rhum agricole and cachaça. They are both distilled from fermented sugarcane juice, but there are large stylistic differences. There are, of course, variations within the two categories but if I could widely generalize I'd say that cachaça is distilled to lower proof than rhum agricole and that cachaça therefore tends to be a rougher, less refined spirit. I should hasten to point out that this isn't a judgment of relative quality, but rather a generalization about stylistic approach.

--