• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rhum Agricole: The Topic

Bill Poster

Whilst most cane rums taste rank in a cuba libre, are there any which work such as barbancourt white(confess to not having tried it)?

Or is it just better to stick with molasses based rums?

Also, are there any blended rums using BOTH molasses and cane?

I haven't tried the Barbancourt White but the 15 y/o was an interesting rum. Even though Barbancourt isn't a true Agricole (sugar cane syrup distilled at a high proof), I dont think it would out do molasses based rum in most cocktails. Give it a shot but I think the esters might not get along with your mixers.

David

• Like 1

Whilst most cane rums taste rank in a cuba libre, are there any which work such as barbancourt white(confess to not having tried it)?

Or is it just better to stick with molasses based rums?

Also, are there any blended rums using BOTH molasses and cane?

At the risk of offending anyone whom I haven't already offended, I don't care what rum you're drinking, if you're drinking rum and coke you're wasting rum.

The question of blended rums using BOTH molasses and cane, however, is one of those questions that should be in the rum trivia game. I've had two rums which were made from a wash of fresh cane juice and molasses and I finished neither bottle. The first, Fajou, was from the Simmonet distillery in Guadeloupe which has since closed. The second was from a sugar factory on Martinique and wasn't much better, the name escapes me at the moment. Their main product was a molasses based rhum, but they were trying to improve the quality of that horrid spirit by adding some cane juice to the wash, without success.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

I'm not sure why the Coke goes flat, though it is probably a chemical reaction that I haven't spent two seconds worrying about. Havana Club 7 and Coke, definitely a waste of rum. Have you tried that rum with passionfruit juice or even orange juice so you can taste the rum?

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

I think a holiday in the caribbean is overdue Ed!

I nearly always drink vodka based cocktails, but when I'm not murdering rum with coke, I like cachaca based cocktails also. As for sipping rum(with a little water), I was given a bottle of DonQ (15yrs?) which I enjoyed before a friend drank the rest of the bottle one night. I have a bottle of Ron Zacapa 23 which i suppose is a kind of benchmark. Next on my list is English Harbour 5yrs. Will email Sharon to find a london stockist

Off topic. Was in the bank yesterday and the lady dealing with my transaction had just come back from Grenada. As i was leaving she gave me a sample of Clarkes Court special!

I keep Bacardi, Meyers and Brugal Anejo around just for Rum and Coke mixers. I would never use a Rhum Agricole, the flavor profile would just be all wrong.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I keep Bacardi, Meyers and Brugal Anejo around just for Rum and Coke mixers. I would never use a Rhum Agricole, the flavor profile would just be all wrong.

I'm curious what (if anything) you mix with agricole? I bought a bottle of cane syrup from a place in Florida (it tastes very much like weak molasses) and made a couple of Ti Punches with both Neisson's and La Favorite. I had to use a bit more syrup and lime than the EG recipes called for.

I may just not be as big a fan of agricole as others, though a friend made us some Mojito's with cane sugar and they were very good.

Thanks very much,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

I mix nothing with Agricole. The white rhum agricole I use exclusively for Ti Punch and the Rhum Vieux I drink neat.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Thats why I am interested in 10cane rum. Their website suggests it makes a good cuba libre... I guess they did plenty of research but I feel the french guy who came up with the idea thinks cane is superior to molasses end of. I want to see how this will fit in at the top london bars

Edited by Bill Poster (log)

I'm curious what (if anything) you mix with agricole?  I bought a bottle of cane syrup from a place in Florida (it tastes very much like weak molasses) and made a couple of Ti Punches with both Neisson's and La Favorite.  I had to use a bit more syrup and lime than the EG recipes called for. 

I may just not be as big a fan of agricole as others, though a friend made us some Mojito's with cane sugar and they were very good.

Thanks very much,

Kevin

Most sugar cane syrups aren't nearlyas sweet as that found in the islands.

As for not being a big fan of agricole, it is very different from other rums. I would, however, suggest making a ti punch and after adding ice, letting the drink chill while the flavors evolve. The first sip is strong, the authentic rhum agricole is bottled at 100 or 110 proof, but after a few minutes the flavor changes. One of the biggest mistakes I used to make was using too much lime and sugar and covering the flavor of the spirit. The strong spirit also tends to leech too much of the oils from the lime while I take the time to drink the cocktail. Here's a picture of the lime slice I use.

Another drink that I love with rhum agricole is passionfruit juice, I use Trader Joe's, and a squeeze of lime.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

Thats why I am interested in 10cane rum. Their website suggests it makes a good cuba libre... I guess they did plenty of research but I feel the french guy who came up with the idea thinks cane is superior to molasses end of.  I want to see how this will fit in at the top london bars

Depending on where you look, you'll see that 10Cane is perfect for a cuba libre, mojito and other drinks. As for research, most of that was done in the marketing department. 10Cane is on the right track, sugar cane juice makes better rum than molasses, but the raw material is only part of the story, fermentation and distillation proof are also huge factors in making good rum.

Just as there are some good molasses rums there are also some agricole rums which I prefer not to drink.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

I imagine it will be around 20 sterling to the on trade over here. As cane rums go, I noticed some good comments about Flor de cana rums. Don't think they are readily available here in the uk. They look to be aiming at Havana club, judging by the range(nice packaging). Has anyone tried these?

Flor de Cana has some very good rums. Their white rum is amazing, but that's not surprising since it's aged four years and then carbon-filtered to remove the color. The coconut and citrus flavors come through nicely in this balanced white rum. Though I don't generally drink white rum neat, I do enjoy sipping samples of this rum.

The older dark rums from FdC do have some similarities to the Havana Club style, but I enjoy FdC more than the HC white.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

Hello again,

I love a good rum and Coke. That's not something that, as a rum enthusiast, I'm ashamed of. Yes, a shot of good rum is a heavenly thing. Don't get me wrong. But a good rum and Coke is excellent, too.

Now, I've often wondered why a rum and Coke tastes so much better in Latin America than it does here in the USA. It turns out that it's the Coke! In the USA, we formulate Coke with "high fructose corn syrup", whereas south of the border they use cane sugar. Well, here in Arizona you can get Mexican Coke, and it makes a much better rum and Coke than the domestic stuff. You can order Mexican Coke at the link below, plus lots of other interesting sodas. Try it.

Dan

www.popsoda.com

During the Jewish holiday of Passover, Coca Cola made with sugar (sugar is kosher for Passover while most Jews don't use corn/corn products) is usually widely available.

Though most prevalent in 2-litre bottles, bigger cities (esp. kosher supermarkets) may carry it in cans. I still have two six-packs of suger Coke that I scored in Pittsburgh.

Thanks,

Kevin@Cuba_Libre.com :smile:

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

• 3 weeks later...
I As i was leaving she gave me a sample of Clarkes Court special!

My wife and I toured the Clarke's Court Rum factory while in Grenada. Not a lot to see but we did sample all of their rums. What we both like the most was there rum punch. Straight out of the bottle with some ice it's a real butt kicker but sooooooo good. Much smoother than say Jack Iron. If you drink a glass of Jack Iron you'll never have to prove your valor in any other way with me.....lol.

Needless to say we purchased a bottle and just recently finished it off. Next January we will be passing through Grenada again and this time will pick up up several bottles. Been trying ever since last January to find a place to buy it here in the states but so far to no avail..... :biggrin:

Not offended Ed!

I know its sinful, but I am a bit partial to rum and coke even though the coke goes flat in 2 seconds(why?). I confess to enjoying it most with Havana 7

*waits for noose to tighten*

Perhaps the coke went into shock that you wasted good rum that way :raz: In Cuba, they use their cheapest white rum (aged 3 years I think) to mix with coke and or for making a Mojito. The good stuff is always drank neat or with a splash of water and a good cigar if possible. :cool:

• 5 months later...
Flor de Cana has some very good rums. Their white rum is amazing, but that's not surprising since it's aged four years and then carbon-filtered to remove the color. The coconut and citrus flavors come through nicely in this balanced white rum. Though I don't generally drink white rum neat, I do enjoy sipping samples of this rum.

Was looking through threads for recommendations for some good white rums for mixing and ran across this one.

The White Flor de Cana sounds promising and is pretty reasonably priced.

What's the deal with the "Extra Dry" and "Extra Light" products I see on their website?

Is the "Extra Dry" the one you are talking about Ed?

-Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

[i'm curious what (if anything) you mix with agricole?

Right now I'm drinking a kind of rhum agricole manhattan : 2 oz rhum coeur de chauffe from Distillerie Reimonen (Guadaloupe), 3/4 oz Vya sweet vermouth, 1/2 teaspoon Stones ginger wine, 1/2 teaspoon Fee Bros peach bitters. Seriously good.

For research purposes only, Im going to make another one, using my German/Punjabi rhum agricole.

Gethin