• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO recipe for lemon mousse (and chocolate ditto)

Mette

I've searched high and low for a recipe for lemon mousse, firm enough to make little 'eggs' to go on a dessert plate. Ideally, it should not be based on lemon curd or lemon cream, but just plain old lemons.

Also, please throw me the best chocolate mousse recipe EVER - I'm in a mousse phase....

Thanks in advance.

I've searched high and low for a recipe for lemon mousse, firm enough to make little 'eggs' to go on a dessert plate. Ideally, it should not be based on lemon curd or lemon cream, but just plain old lemons.

Also, please throw me the best chocolate mousse recipe EVER - I'm in a mousse phase....

Thanks in advance.

Here's one that looks llike you could make it pretty firm, I have not tried it, but the ingredients look like they are definitely workable. Worth a try anyway.

Edited by chefcyn (log)
It's not the destination, but the journey!

Well, when you start with lemons, and want to make mousse, the next step is usually making a curd of sorts.

I use 20 eggs seperate

2.5C lemon juice

1/2C zest

1qt cream

about 5T geletain bloomed in a cup or so of water

This is from memmory, so I think it is right. The boosted gel makes it stiff enough to take to a mold or to form quennels for a plate.

Assemble like a mousse:

Heat yolks, sugar, juice and rind over double boiler.

Combine gel

Cool breifly over ice

Fold with beaten egg whites

Fold in whipped cream.

It will be fairly loose. Pour or pipe it how you like then let it set up.

My basic choc mouse is:

20 eggs seperate

2.5lb choc

6oz butter

1C of sugar

1Qt cream

Melt down the ganach

Beat half the sugar with yolks

Beat half the sugar with whites

fold eggs together

fold in choc

fold in whipped cream.

Any additional flavoring you want can be folded into the choc.

Again, this is from memmory. It is a pretty basic mousse, and as with many things, the chocolate has something to do with how good it tastes.

I would be interested in the differences betwene this and what some of the pros are using. I am a hot-sider but have been doing a lot of pastry stuff lately.

• 9 years later...

I am allergic to all citrus fruits so I haven made lemon mousse in over 10 years ( that when it started) and I now need to make it.  My brother is turning 40 soon and asked for a raspberry lemon cake  thingy for his exact word. 

So white sponge and  expensive to die for  raspberry jam in-between the layers and then lemon mousse around it all.  

Does any one has good , fairly straight forward  ( cant use xanthan gum or  modern cooking) recipe that can be piped?

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

My standby:

1/3 C Juice - can be lemon, apple, orange...

130 g (4.6 oz) Sugar

4 Sheets silver gelatin (1.75 tsp)

30 ml (1 oz) limoncello (calvados, grand marnier)

355 ml (12 oz) Cream

Heat juice to a simmer; add softened gelatin; cool to room temp (I do all of this in the micro btw, which drops it down to 60 seconds.

Add booze.

Whip cream to soft peak; add a quarter of the cream to the juice and combine; add the juice cream mixture to the rest of the cream and fold carefully.

*Just a note that generally I find 1 sheet of silver equals 1 tsp of powder. For some reason, in this recipe I double the sheet gelatin to get it to set up like I want - which is almost always for a cake layer.

Edited to add that I would cut in some pear puree - like a 1/4 C with the juice.

Edited by gfron1 (log)
  • Like 1

Can I omit the booze since there is a kid who will  eat the same cake as her beloved uncle?

Pear is apparently a no go,  I just got the allergy list and 3 says no to pear.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Are you suggesting apple instead of lemon, so you can eat it too? If so, then you're departing from the lemon theme...and in that case, what about dark chocolate mousse? I think chocolate and raspberry are a better match than apple and raspberry. Or almond and raspberry, if you want something lighter?

If you're trying to stay with the lemon - which you can't eat - then the pear wouldn't add to your woes, would it?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Are you suggesting apple instead of lemon, so you can eat it too? If so, then you're departing from the lemon theme...and in that case, what about dark chocolate mousse? I think chocolate and raspberry are a better match than apple and raspberry. Or almond and raspberry, if you want something lighter?

If you're trying to stay with the lemon - which you can't eat - then the pear wouldn't add to your woes, would it?

I think the pear was related to another person's allergy.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

If you make a standard lemon curd (2 parts lemon, 2 parts sugar, 2 parts eggs, 3 parts butter), you can add 1% (total weight) of gelatin and 3% cocoa butter, let it set in the fridge overnight, then whip it, it will have a good flavour and texture, and be pipable.

• 2 years later...
On 25/03/2017 at 3:29 PM, Kerry Beal said:

I like the look of the first one - mostly cause you are making your own curd - a lot less ingredients.

You make your own lemon curd in both.  Oddly, the second one asks you to incorporate shop-bought lemon curd as well - I can't see the benefit of that over just making more lemon curd.

I find it interesting that neither use gelatin.  They must be very, very soft-set...  

What I like to do is make a good lemon curd (1:1:1:1, pretty much), and incorporate 1% gelatin and 3% cocoa butter.  Let it set, then whip it for 15 minutes.  You get a better lemon flavour.

I am strongly of the opinion that you should never try to make something for a dinner party that you have never made before.

You don't say when your party will be, but I seriously suggest you have trial runs with each recipe and decide which you prefer.

• Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I made the recommended Saveur version and it came out great. They set up as I expected, very similar to a previous chocolate mousse I have made.

• Like 2

On 3/27/2017 at 3:46 AM, jmacnaughtan said:

You make your own lemon curd in both.  Oddly, the second one asks you to incorporate shop-bought lemon curd as well - I can't see the benefit of that over just making more lemon curd.

I find it interesting that neither use gelatin.  They must be very, very soft-set...  

What I like to do is make a good lemon curd (1:1:1:1, pretty much), and incorporate 1% gelatin and 3% cocoa butter.  Let it set, then whip it for 15 minutes.  You get a better lemon flavour.

You've got my interest on trying your recipe, even though mine did work out just fine.  Would you be willing to share?

Thanks