• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A question for bakers

cupcakequeen

i didn't know where else to post this...but has anyone found a way to get hobart/mixer grease out of their chefs jackets? i've tried bleach, oxyclean and some other pre-treaters, but all of us in the bakery have the same marks on our shoulders from the stupid mixer.

is it something you eventually remember to be aware of and stop ruining all of your jackets? i just ruined 2 new ones!

Hi, You could try the hand cleaner that mechanics use. It comes in tubs and is sort of like the texture of shortening. You can buy it anywhere they have auto parts, even Walmart. Just rub a blob on the grease and work it in with a brush like a big toothbrush or the edge of a spoon until you see the grease beginning to move. Then wash in a washer with hot water and detergent. It should get most or all the grease out.

check out my baking and pastry books at the Pastrymama1 shop on www.Half.ebay.com

Don't know about Hobart grease in particular, but Simple Green does the trick for a lot of other stuff. For something really tough, we spray it on neat.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I use liquid dishwasher detergent scrubbed into the grease spot with a toothbrush or nail brush.

However the hand gunk used by mechanics may work as well.

You have to treat it prior to washing, whatever your do.

Another old remedy is saturating the spot with glycerine then forcing warm, not hot, water through from the back side of the cloth, blot dry and reapply the glycerine and repeat until the grease is mostly gone, then rub with strong bar soap (Fels Naptha, for instance) and wash as usual.

Glycerine has the peculiar ability to surround particles of grease and separate them from cloth and it is hydrophyllic so it combines with the water and carries the grease out.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I had good success with pretreating my chef jackets with Mr. Clean, straight out of the bottle. It works pretty well on grill grease( you know, that black-brown gunk from leaning up against the grill while cleaning it!). It worked on keeping the jackets more white, too, than bleach which tended to make them yellowish eventually (the ones with some amount of polyester in the fabric)

And...throwing a half cup of plain old baking soda takes out that ever-present fried smell from jackets and pants, too. It even works on my husband's grungy outside work clothes after he's been burning brush and sweating all day! Yuck!

Edited by chefcyn (log)
It's not the destination, but the journey!