• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grease-Stain Worthy Dining in Southern California

Holly Moore

Here is my post about the North Woods Inn, the one along the 5 just north of the Orange County line near La Mirada.

Have been to the one in La Mirada a couple of times. It's OK, but I think it lacks the authentic, old-school charm of the original. I had forgotten about the peanuts entirely. :biggrin: Edited to add: And the signs in the bar instructing you to throw the peanut shells on the floor!

Edited by ScorchedPalate (log)

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

Is La Palma still there, S_A?

After my ordeal, I was inspired to head on over.

It was fine for me.

Ok, Holly, if you're in Anaheim at all, you gotta check the La Palma Chicken Pie Shop out. It's an astonishingly untainted Googie architectural landmark in strip-mall Anaheim serving great pie and a dinner plate of pie, fries, and a few other things that costs something like $5. I wish I had brought my digital camera.... Click here (and scroll down) for a bit more info.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Alright Holly, I did you right in Birmingham and I will try to do so again. I logged hundreds of trips up and down this truly great rural highway in a two year period a few years ago (4 or 5 times a week for two years). About halfway between Jamul and Tecate is a little oasis (literally and figuratively) called Dulzura, CA

In that town is a classic roadhouse that is at least 75 years old known as The Dulzura Cafe. They have great hamburgers but it's really all about the place and the drive. Take the time. If you decide to go that route, you can cross the border at Tecate (there are NEVER more than 3 cars in line, and that's during rush hour) and I can give you a giant list of places to go get some stains on your shirt that will make you very happy. There is some great food there. But either way, I highly reccomend that little side trip. Most San Diegans have never even been down 94 and they are really missing something great.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Ok, you want grease? Does anyone know if Juicy Harvey's is still ladeling it out? This place is in Burbank, across from the NBC Studios, and it stands out in my memory as classic, old-time burger joint.

Juicy Harvey's (818) 846-9033: 3203 W Alameda Av: Burbank, CA

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I believe the king burger patty is a 1/2 lb patty and the normal fatburger patties are 1/3 lb.

Evan, you are correct. My apologies for the typo.

BTW, the oldest remaining McDonald's location is in Downey, with the Speedee character and the arches on the building. There's a little museum there. In terms of food, the only thing of note is they still deep fry the apple pies rather than bake them. Not really worth the drive, but it's a good bit of trivia.

• 3 weeks later...

Flying to LA tomorrow, so time to start finalizing plans. Looks like I won't be making it to San Diego - with the exceptions for some daytrips to somewhere (suggestions welcome), I'm staying in the LA area - figure there is enough to eat there.

My biggest frustration has been finding a place to stay. I have three basic requirements in lodging - rooms can range from Hampton Inn to Four Seasons in comfort, hi speed internet access, and the tough one - the TV must get both MSNBC and Comedy Central. Gotta cover my daily news sources - Imus in the Morning and the Daily Show. Anywhere else the last one isn't an issue. I've looked all over the LA area and have not found a single place offering both stations.

So I'm spending my first new nights in the Glendale area - close to the friends I'm visiting. But still don't know where I'll be after that. Probably the Santa Monica/ Venice Beach or the Beverly Hills area.

On my list to eat, culled from this thread - Tommy's, the Apple Pan, the Old Hamburger Hamlet which I first ate at in 1969 when we were opening Raymond's - a upscale McD's named after Ray Kroc - on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills, In & Out, Oki-Dog, two or three Mexican places, the North Woods Inn, Roscoe's Chicken and Waffle, La Palma Chicken Pie Shop, Juicy Harvey's and, of course because I will follow Mayhaw Man anywhere,

Also, for old time sakes and understanding it may lead to my banishment from eGullet, I'm going to renew my research into Po-Po platters and Navy Grogs at Trader Vic's in the Beverly Hilton.

We're a little light on breakfast spots. Could use some imput there. Also anything comparable to the date shakes I got at the Hadley Fruit Orchards on the way to Palm Springs.

Be great to meet some genuine LA gullets during this trip.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Don't forget the Original Pantry for breakfast. It's located on the NW corner of Figueroa & 9th St. in downtown LA , a couple blocks north from Staples Center. It's open 24/7.

Be great to meet some genuine LA gullets during this trip.

I second that statement, Holly ... sir ...

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

My recomendation, if I had to pick one - and if you ask around, I'm sure you'll hear the same is - La Playita - it's a little Mariscos stand next to a tire shop on Lincoln blvd. 1 block north of Rose in the city of Venice. It's small and you'll know it by being the only gringo out there ordering the best $1.50 shrimp ceviche you can find. Also has great tacos. You'll go there, order from their enormous menu, stand there with the rest of the day laborers and smile because someone definitely steered you in the right direction

In regards to Tito's Tacos, Loteria Grill and El Tepeyac (another legendary place), I have always been disappointed by them, their popularity notwithstanding - just my opinion.

El Tepeyac Cafe (aka Manuel's); 812 N. Evergreen Ave. ; LA, CA 90033;

(323) 268-1960; Closed Tuesdays. Cash only.

Here's the info on El Tepeyac. The Mexican food they serve is, IMO, a previous generation's recollection of Mexican food, as Mexican families were living in East LA & Boyle Heights back in the '50s & '60s.

I would agree with FoodZealot. It's not bad, but nothing really special ... to me ...

As for breakfast places, I've never eaten there, but I heard of a coffee shop called Nick's Cafe in downtown LA near Chinatown. Apparently owned by a LAPD detective since 1948. I might have to try it, if I can wake up eventually ...

Nick's Cafe; 1300 N. Spring St.; LA, CA 90012

(323) 222-1450

Closed Sunday. Cash only.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Flying to LA tomorrow, so time to start finalizing plans.  Looks like I won't be making it to San Diego - with the exceptions for some daytrips to somewhere (suggestions welcome), I'm staying in the LA area - figure there is enough to eat there.

Oh well--sorry to miss you! Happy eating, and maybe catch you the next time you head out west.

If you'll be in the Valley, I've had good breakfasts at:

Jinky's Cafe

(818) 981-2250

14120 Ventura Blvd.

Sherman Oaks, CA 91423

Roscoe's and The Original Pantry are also breakfast options.

Regardless of what people tell you, do not do brunch at Las Brisas in Laguna Beach.

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com