• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Goodburger

emsny

On Second Avenue and 43rd Street something called Goodburger is about to open. 90 seconds of Googling (usually enough for any research task) came up with nothing convincing. Is this part of a chain, as I'd assumed, or could it be an independent operation? There is some kind of non-meat franchise called "Mr. Goodburger", but this place has a drawing of a cow on one of the signs covering the windows during the renovation.

• 5 weeks later...

I just got the inside scoop. My brother waits tables at Angelo's Pizza (the new one under the Ed Sullivan Theater), and he informed me that the owners (they own the three Angelo's and a number of the Patsy's in the city) are opening a burger place. Yes it is called Goodburger, like the movie. You know. With Keenan and Kel. Come on I know you saw it. Sinbad was in it too... and Abe Vigoda. Classic. Anyway, he tells me they are even using the "Home of the Goodburger" slogan.

• 2 weeks later...
I just got the inside scoop.  My brother waits tables at Angelo's Pizza (the new one under the Ed Sullivan Theater), and he informed me that the owners (they own the three Angelo's and a number of the Patsy's in the city) are opening a burger place.  Yes it is called Goodburger, like the movie.  You know.  With Keenan and Kel.  Come on I know you saw it.  Sinbad was in it too... and Abe Vigoda. Classic.  Anyway, he tells me they are even using the "Home of the Goodburger" slogan.

i loved the concept did anyone eat there? angelos on 57th was a fave when i lived in the city, when you ask for extra grated cheese for a couple bucks they put half a pound of parmesan. great stuff!

Yeah I love Angelo's for pizza too, though that may be because I always get mine for free. My bro and I are planning to hit Goodburger for lunch tomorrow, I'll let you know what I think. Apparently the owner spent a while hitting up all the West Coast burger chains for ideas/inspiration(Fat Burger, In'n'Out, Jack-in-the-Box, Carl's Jr. etc.)

Hopefully they do it right... I love a good In'n'Out Double-Double Animal Style when I can get out west. I think the always fresh/never frozen beef, hand torn preservative-free lettuce, and fresh preservative-free buns are an idea to run with...

I just got the inside scoop.  My brother waits tables at Angelo's Pizza (the new one under the Ed Sullivan Theater), and he informed me that the owners (they own the three Angelo's and a number of the Patsy's in the city) are opening a burger place.  Yes it is called Goodburger, like the movie.  You know.  With Keenan and Kel.  Come on I know you saw it.  Sinbad was in it too... and Abe Vigoda. Classic.  Anyway, he tells me they are even using the "Home of the Goodburger" slogan.

i loved the concept did anyone eat there? angelos on 57th was a fave when i lived in the city, when you ask for extra grated cheese for a couple bucks they put half a pound of parmesan. great stuff!

• 3 months later...

Yes. It's admittedly modelled on the Burger Joint in the lobby of the Parker Meridian. It's not quite as good as the Burger Joint. But it's still really really good. (Same style of burgers, service, etc.)

Tends to be very crowded during lunchtime. Deservedly.

In addition to the burgers, they also sell such classic New York fountain items as Lime Rickeys.

• 6 months later...

just had lunch at goodburger. it's a good burger, not a great one, but for the price, it is a burger that's just fine. it's just fine in terms of flavor, which is just softly beefy (and needed salt, for me), and lightly charred in a way that reminded me of sonic burger in texas. just fine in the way it comes on a small, toasted bun that can handle drippings and condiments, and the way it's dressed in "the works", which consist of onions, pickles, tomatoes, a slice of lettuce and a mustard that has a zingy horseradish bite. it's just fine in with respect to fries, which are fresh, hot, and plentiful. just fine if you don't think of your shake in the classic way but as a glass of softened-and-stirred good quality ice cream: my chocolate shake didn't seem to contain any added milk, but i did drink the whole thing, now didn't i?

the atmosphere is a bit odd: a clean, sparsely decorated lunch room filled with midtown office workers and probably a few UN staff -- a pretty "hi, bob" crowd. but then there's techno-y music playing loudly in the background. but it's perfectly comfortable. i suppose it's also pleasant to take out and sit outside at Daj Hammarskjold Plaza up the road.

i cannot compare it to its reference burger at burger joint, as i've never been there.

can't believe it's not butter? i can.

• 5 months later...

I was just posting Tsukushi and forgot to post about this....

I ate here for the first time earlier this week.

I ordered their combo - a burger, french fries, and a strawberry shake. The total was $14 or $15. I ate it on the crosstown bus back home, at a traffic-less time I polished it off in a matter of 15 minutes.

They made it from scratch while I waited, I ordered it medium-rare with the "works" which is lettuce, tomato, onions, pickles, ketchup, mayo, mustard. I forgot to hold the mustard but I'm glad I did in the end.

The burger was weighty and very and nearly cool in the center, not quite medium-rare but this is actually how I like it. I don't know what their is, but it was ONE DAMN GOOD BURGER. I think it might be the best now. It's definitely better than Burger Giant.

The bun was deliciously toasted, and the presence of a thick layer of pickles helped a lot. The burger itself had a wonderful flavor to the meat and very tastey char on the outside. That, plus what was for some reason a VERY delciious sauce out of the 3 condiments, had me moaning while eating this thing. It was just that tasty and proportionally very carefully done. The shake was delicious too. The fries were surprisingly flavorless. I think they need to season them out of the fryer and also try a more flavorful mixture of oils However, when said and done, it could qualify as best in the city now. If around there you should definitely drop in and check it out for yourself....