• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

whole foods coming to west orange?

bill70

According to the Stores in Development page of their web site, there are TWO NJ locations coming:

Paramus

Whole Foods Market

Paramus, NJ

77,000 sq. ft.

Opening date to be announced.

West Orange

Whole Foods Market

Mt. Prospect & Eagle Rock

West Orange, NJ

55,430 sq. ft.

Opening date to be announced.

Of course, now I want to know where in Paramus they're getting 77K sf! Hopefully it's not what's being squeezed in to the intersection of 17 and 4...anyone know?

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Just for a frame of reference, how many square feet is the Montclair location?

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Of course, now I want to know where in Paramus they're getting 77K sf!  Hopefully it's not what's being squeezed in to the intersection of 17 and 4...anyone know?

I think a Bed, Bath, and Beyond and a Sports Authority is what's being built next to IKEA. I think I read in the record the other day that Whole Foods is going to be in the new Bergen Mall when it's done, along with a Target and Century 21 department store.

Interestingly enough, they don't list the sf for the Montclair store on the site, although they do for some of the other stores. For reference: Madison is 21K, and the Columbus Circle (NYC) location is 59K. Looks like I'm going to be spending a LOT of time in Paramus... :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Bergen Mall?!!  Wow, that just doesn't fit the typical demographic that Whole Foods looks for...

Nope, but they are trying to reposition the whole mall, so I think it may fit with the new demographic they are aiming for when the redo the mall.

What demographic is that? The ones willing to pay $15.99/lb for fresh tuna? ;)

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

i'm not sure what they charge for tuna, but i think that Whole Foods' fresh fish is much better than any other supermarket. I'd rather pay $15.99 and enjoy it instead of $7.99 and not enjoy it. apparently, many other people feel the same way, based upon the success of WF

Edited by scarlet knight (log)

Interestingly enough, they don't list the sf for the Montclair store on the site, although they do for some of the other stores. For reference: Madison is 21K, and the Columbus Circle (NYC) location is 59K. Looks like I'm going to be spending a LOT of time in Paramus... :laugh:

That means the Montclair brnach must be around 8K. :biggrin:

Where is this Bergen Mall?

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

getting back on the original request. Is whole foods coming to west orange? i can literally walk there from where i live. i know on their website its says they are but that is dated may 2005.

nothing has been done to the old pathmark building yet. The liquor store next to the wendys moved down by FRANKS Pizza so i was hoping that maybe they would start remodeling soon.

tom

The first formal sign of an appearance is often an application to the zoning or planning board in West Orange for occupancy and site plan discussions. A call to these town departments will determine if an app has been filed or meetings requested. Most options on leases are conditional on receiving these approvals.

The town will probably require new parking configuration, landscaping, maybe some interior work, and a traffic study from the county for nearby roads.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I remember reading recently in The Record of Hackensack that the Whole Foods would be situated in the Bergen Mall but *not* in the space formerly occupied by the old Shop-Rite.

I don't know why they ruled that site out; it would seem to be a logical choice. The weird thing is, I didn't even know that area (south of the Spa 2) was considered the Bergen Mall, because it is actually across the street from it.

So far as I know, the exact location of the Paramus Whole Foods has not been reported.

The "new" Paramus Shop-Rite, on Route 4, is not that far from the Bergen Mall, which is on Route 4, perhaps a mile or two east of the intersection of Routes 4 and 17.

~ Ken P.

Edited by Kape (log)

i'm not sure what they charge for tuna, but i think that Whole Foods' fresh fish is much better than any other supermarket. I'd rather pay $15.99 and enjoy it instead of $7.99 and not enjoy it.  apparently, many other people feel the same way, based upon the success of WF

How do you explain them charging double for the same bag of mussels or clams you can buy in Shop Rite? I agree that they ave good fresh fish but they overcharge the crap out of customers. PT Barnum was right. :biggrin:

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

How do you explain them charging double for the same bag of mussels or clams you can buy in Shop Rite?  I agree that they ave good fresh fish but they overcharge the crap out of customers.  PT Barnum was right.  :biggrin:

Here's something interesting that I have noticed: Friendship 1lb. Cottage Cheese-- ShopRite sells it for $2.49, and Whole Foods Ridgewood sells it for $2.19 (Regular prices, not a sale). Actually, many items in WF are not that expensive, seemingly.

The best fish in Bergen County is IMHO Maywood Seafood Gourmet, a little place in downtown Maywood. Has been discussed a lot on EG.

I hope the one in Paramus has a liquor license.  The Montclair store had a nice selection of everyday wines.  They took that license to use it for the store in Red Bank.

Not likely. Liquor licenses in NJ are issued for a particular municpality. You can't move a license from town to town.

And I suspect a liquor license in Paramus (they'd have to find an available retail license for sale) is pretty pricey. I would be surprised if the Paramus store had a liquor dept.

In response to the op, I've sent an email to the corporate office and of course, will let you all know what they say!

I hope the one in Paramus has a liquor license.  The Montclair store had a nice selection of everyday wines.  They took that license to use it for the store in Red Bank.

Not likely. Liquor licenses in NJ are issued for a particular municpality. You can't move a license from town to town.

And I suspect a liquor license in Paramus (they'd have to find an available retail license for sale) is pretty pricey. I would be surprised if the Paramus store had a liquor dept.

There is a huge difference between the liquor license needed to serve alcohol in a restaurant, vs the liquor license needed to sell alcohol in a retail store. I may be wrong, but I believe that the latter is far easier to obtain than the former.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

There is a huge difference between the liquor license needed to serve alcohol in a restaurant, vs the liquor license needed to sell alcohol in a retail store. I may be wrong, but I believe that the latter is far easier to obtain than the former.

That's what I thought, but was told that by a WF employee when I inquired why the Dept was no longer there. Was told they are only allowed 6 in the state and so they used that one for the RB Store.

Didn't someone say (when the moving topic first came up) that there was a sign at the Montclair store, that they weren't moving?

Fib? -- or do they plan to keep the Montclair store, too?

Edited by jo-mel (log)