• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

whole foods coming to west orange?

bill70

Interesting... I was thinking that they'd put a business/management office up there.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Hi..Yesterday I asked one of the managers in the Millburn store and was told the new West Orange store is due to open in November...I think all the other stores will remain open...this new Whole Foods will be the largest in the area and have wonderful parking.. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think he could well be right about a November opening. I was actually in the parking lot yesterday. The fascade on the second floor has been done for a while. The front of the store was getting "bricked" and all of the windows seem to be in. Today they are working the signage area over the door. I also noticed a lot of refrigeration trucks in the parking lot yesterday. I'm in the Montclair store 2-3 times a week, cursing under my breath at every turn. I can't wait.

NJDuchess

• 2 weeks later...

Can't believe I'm the first to post this, but...drumroll, please...the new WO Whole Foods is scheduled to open on November 1st!

According to the WF web site, "...We are excited to offer hard-to-find traditional services and products alongside many exciting new dining options, including:

A Seafood Shack featuring the freshest catch of the day prepared while you wait, a raw bar and restaurant-style sides. You can sit down to eat or take food to go.

Our sizzling Cantina will offer special daily platos, tortillas made in-house, in addition to our daily Latin fare. It's an ideal spot for a family dinner or casual date.

A Candy Island stocked with a decadent selection of chocolates and seasonal treats.

A large selection of kosher foods.

A full-service seafood counter with a robust selection of the freshest fish and shellfish availale, and knowledgeable team members to help you.

An enormous selection of naturally raised meats, in an old-fashioned butcher shop setting, with real butchers who cut to order and answer cooking questions."

GOOD STUFF!! :cool:

Edit: I also think this is great, and am surprised they don't publicize this fact a lot more: "Whole Foods Market West Orange as well as all other stores, facilities, bake houses, distribution centers, regional offices and national headquarters in the United States and Canada, has offset 100% of the electricity we use with clean, sustainable wind energy. Whole Foods Market believes that companies, like individuals, must assume their share of responsibility as tenants of Planet Earth. The impact of Whole Foods Market's commitment to wind power in the State of New Jersey is equivalent to removing 1,800 cars from the road or 20 million pounds of carbon dioxide pollution from the atmosphere."

Edited by Curlz (log)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Can't believe I'm the first to post this, but...drumroll, please...the new WO Whole Foods is scheduled to open on November 1st!

According to the WF web site, "...We are excited to offer hard-to-find traditional services and products alongside many exciting new dining options, including:

A Seafood Shack featuring the freshest catch of the day prepared while you wait, a raw bar and restaurant-style sides. You can sit down to eat or take food to go.

Our sizzling Cantina will offer special daily platos, tortillas made in-house, in addition to our daily Latin fare. It's an ideal spot for a family dinner or casual date.

A Candy Island stocked with a decadent selection of chocolates and seasonal treats.

A full-service seafood counter with a robust selection of the freshest fish and shellfish availale, and knowledgeable team members to help you.

An enormous selection of naturally raised meats, in an old-fashioned butcher shop setting, with real butchers who cut to order and answer cooking questions."

GOOD STUFF!!  :cool:

Edit:  I also think this is great, and am surprised they don't publicize this fact a lot more:  "Whole Foods Market West Orange as well as all other stores, facilities, bake houses, distribution centers, regional offices and national headquarters in the United States and Canada, has offset 100% of the electricity we use with clean, sustainable wind energy. Whole Foods Market believes that companies, like individuals, must assume their share of responsibility as tenants of Planet Earth. The impact of Whole Foods Market's commitment to wind power in the State of New Jersey is equivalent to removing 1,800 cars from the road or 20 million pounds of carbon dioxide pollution from the atmosphere."

This is so exciting! It doesn't look as if they are so close to being finished, but maybe they are hustling to get it done. I wonder how this will impact traffic at the intersection of Prospect and Eagle Rock as well as the parking situation in that lot.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

The traffic at that intersection is horrible as is

Oh yes, I sit there every morning (for what seems like an hour) with the new Whole Foods site to the right of me, so I get a bird's eye view and I only noticed the brick this morning! I can't wait! I've never been to a WF before, but a few of my co-workers go to the Montclair location for salads.

GOOD STUFF!!  :cool:

Edit:  I also think this is great, and am surprised they don't publicize this fact a lot more:  "Whole Foods Market West Orange as well as all other stores, facilities, bake houses, distribution centers, regional offices and national headquarters in the United States and Canada, has offset 100% of the electricity we use with clean, sustainable wind energy. Whole Foods Market believes that companies, like individuals, must assume their share of responsibility as tenants of Planet Earth. The impact of Whole Foods Market's commitment to wind power in the State of New Jersey is equivalent to removing 1,800 cars from the road or 20 million pounds of carbon dioxide pollution from the atmosphere."

CONGRATS on the breaking news....looking forward to it... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I avoid anything in that strip mall after dark, although admittedly the only time I'm there is to grab a slice at Frank's or hit up Wendy's during lunch. I only work in WO and don't live there, but nothing in that mall seems to do high volume business.

I drove by today around 4:00pm. The Eagle Rock Ave. intersection was impassable and impossible. If West Orange (or Whole Foods) don't have any police to direct traffic, there are going to be some big time problems.

http:/www.etuinc.com

Having lived in this area for 2/3 of my life, I can tell you that this intersection has ALWAYS been bad. You're right that WF isn't going to help, but if the town can spend $$ for police to direct traffic at the big Crystal Lake townhouse/office complex 2 blocks further south (towards 280) every day, they should certainly do it at the MAJOR intersection nearby!

(Curlz jumps off her soapbox)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Having lived in this area for 2/3 of my life, I can tell you that this intersection has ALWAYS been bad.  You're right that WF isn't going to help, but if the town can spend $$ for police to direct traffic at the big Crystal Lake townhouse/office complex 2 blocks further south (towards 280) every day, they should certainly do it at the MAJOR intersection nearby!

(Curlz jumps off her soapbox)

I rarely go to work (I work on Prospect less than a mile from the Kmart center) during rush hour but even at 3pm its backed up. Thank god for Pleasant Valley ave and Woodland. I guess working in a restaurant helps with avoiding commuting during regular hours too.

What ever happened to the rumor (?) about a seafood restaurant going up above the WF?

What ever happened to the rumor (?) about a seafood restaurant going up above the WF?

According to the

WF web site, "...We are excited to offer hard-to-find traditional services and products alongside many exciting new dining options, including:

The Star Ledger had a full page ad the other day announcing that Wh

ole Foods is opening on November 1st...Dont know if anything special is planned. Has anyone heard?? Think I might skip opening day....but I am looking forward to visiting the new store... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hey there everybody!! Remember me?

I just came from the "almost open party" at the new Whole Foods in West Orange. In a stroke of PR genius, they combined the "almost open party" and a fundraiser for the Mayor's Holiday Sunshine Fund. Whole foods matched the $15 per person donation.

The store is wonderfully HUGE, and while it wasn't yet fully stocked, I could see that our selection of quality ingredients has increased exponentially. Dotted throughout the store were tastings of both food and beverage including Chef Mitchell Altholz from the Highlawn Pavilion and his Warm Vichyssoise with Truffle Essence that was served in a square shot glass and easily struck that truffle chord in all of us that produces an exclamation of "OOH, MMM!!" Also Featured was Executive Chef Michael Weisshaupt of The Manor who served a comforting Local Squash Risotto with Sweet Onion Marmilade-YUMMY!!

The Store also showcased several of their unique venues which are:

Gelato Bar- they served Belgian Waffles with Ciao Bella Pumpkin Gelato & Savory Whipped Cream.

The Cantina- They served Fresh In-House Tortillas with salsa and Guacamole

The Seafood Shack (this is the well rumored seafood restaurant that is more of a take out seafood shack with some bar stools and a counter featuring a raw bar and other seafood offerings that is separate from the fish counter) They served Wonderful fried whole belly clams and tartar sauce.

The Candy Island- They offered all sorts of natural candies-mostly turtles and Almond Bark.

The Hearth Oven Pizza- they served 2 types of pizza.

Other items served throughout the store were Team Member Favorites:

Thanksgiving dinners

Turkey Meatballs

Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

Sausage and Peppers

Sustainable Seafood Clam Chowder

Maine Rootbeer Floats

Local Cheeses with Olives and Crackers

Oven Ready Appetizers from the meat department

Canolli Piping Station

Carolina Classics Catfish

Whole Catch and Whole Kitchens Hors D'Oevres

Beverages included:

Flying Fish Brewery Beer (NJ)

Assorted Beer and Wine

Stirrings Champagne Cocktail

Joe's Teas (NJ)

Allegro Coffee

Spritzers and Sparkling water.

There was live music from OSPAC-Brazilian Jazz the Music of Antonio Carlos Jobim.

All in all, a great peview of the largest Whole Foods in NJ. It officially opens at 9AM on Wednesday November 1st. I suspect it will be a zoo for a while, but it is definatley worth a look-see.

Here's the floorplan:

gallery_16368_3813_14717.jpg

Eric

Edited by ejebud (log)

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Gelato Bar- they served Belgian Waffles with Ciao Bella Pumpkin Gelato & Savory Whipped Cream.

You are an evil, evil, EVIL man, Eric! I'm running a dinner for 400+ on Thursday night, and now all I can think about is how I'm going to cram in a visit to WF tomorrow. :wacko:

Eric forgot to mention that they were also serving Sushi last night. Looks like they will have a nice sized sushi area.

The store was beautiful with lots of specialized areas of interest. There is a cantina, a hot food area, a big salad bar location, a hot soup area. There is also a nut roaster and a coffee roaster. I saw a sign that mentioned they would be smoking fish in house too.

Just got back from my Grand Opening day visit. At 7:00 pm, the store was bubbling with customers but not crowded at all. Ditto the parking lot, refreshingly spacious compared to the woefully accident-prone Montclair location. West Orange Police officers were posted at the entrance and at the checkout exits (a holdover from the Pathmark days?!) and I must say the customer demographics are more diverse than the Montclair location.

The store's presentation is similar to Wegman's (in Bridgewater, at least) but Wegman's-Bridgewater is still larger in size. Still, the West Orange WF is plenty spacious with wide aisles and walkarounds. Impressive selections of ... everything! From produce to fish to meats to cheeses, you name it they probably have it.

In the seafood area, I noticed a Chilean Sea Bass from a "sustainable fishery." I asked the fish salesperson if this was wild or farm-raised, and he said wild. I wanted to ask more about what "sustainable fishery" meant, in light of WF's no-kill lobster policy and eco-friendly marketing, but I could sense this person didn't want really want to get into it with me.

Meat selection includes dry aged steaks, which I picked up a New York Strip and plan to grill tomorrow night. At $21.99 per pound, it better be good!

Cheese selection is similar to Montclair location selections. I can't seem to find easy labeling of aged cheddar at WF, whereas at Wegmans-Bridgewater I can find blocks of cheddar in 3-4 levels of aging.

Chocolate selections include a WF-exclusive line from Payard, as well as other gourmet chocolatiers. They sell Vosge chocolates and hot chocolate mixes, too. The in-store patisserie is similar to Wegmans-Bridgewater.

The Cantina offers made-to-order tacos and burritos. They sell 3 soft tacos for $6.99, and you can mix-and-match. I took home a Baja fish taco, a Spicy Shredded Beef taco, and a Chipolte Chicken taco. All were very tasty. Other bases included Pork Carnitas and Grilled Vegetable & Tofu.

There is a wood-burning pizza stove and deli/sandwich area (the pretzel bread sandwich looked really interesting).

The Seafood Shack was the crowded hot spot, with all the stools taken. I can't remember any of the selections (I circled back at the end of my walk-through, so my mind was thoroughly overwhelmed with food items!) but it all looked good!

As I surveyed the store while checking out, I was wonderfully amazed how the store has transformed itself from the plebian Pathmark to this mecca of fine foods. It was well worth the wait. The only question that remains is: who will want to go the Montclair location any longer?!