• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shartlesville, PA

jrichman

jrichman,

It says Pennsylvania, but it is really ought be called the Philadelphia board. Not much chance of getting replies for places out of the metro Philadelphia area. However, I have eaten at the Haag Hotel. This is a PA Dutch style place that is served family style. I do think it is a little better than most of the Lancaster Co tourist places. The style of the food I don't really care for, though it rules this area. Lots of stuff that will fill you up. Not a lot of taste to much of it. However, it is a nice old hotel, very clean and the foks are friendly

In this area I would not miss Roadside America. Not a place to eat, but one of the last of the old Americana style roadside attractions. One of the largest displays of model trains you will ever see.

You're not too far from Hamburg, PA. Hamburg is home of a lovely Cabela's outdoor store. If you've never been, it's worth the trip. It's like a redneck Disney World. They have aquarium exhibits of game fish, taxidermied animal dioramas, rivers running through the place and enough flannel, camouflage and weapons to keep the country's militias well dressed and equipped for the rest of the century.

If you're going the weekend August 27th, you're in luck. They're having Cabela's BBQ Challenge! I'm guessing there'll be some good eats going on!

Good luck!

Lauren

"The perfect lover is one who turns into pizza at 4am."

Charles Pierce

Only about 20 miles east is Dietrich's, near Krumsville. Although not a restaurant, you can get picnic fixings of the most savory sort, from head cheese to souse to smoked fowl to chipped beef, and all of the food groups in between. It is also the only local source of leaf lard, just in case you plan on making a peach pie from those Shartleville peaches.