• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

slummin' it!

dvs

Wow... that sounds so much better than what my mom made.  Ask your mom if I can stay for supper!!!

*lol* really? actually nothing that passed my mom's stove missed the cayenne pepper/garlic powder/soemtimes turmeric treatment. i think it's how she got everything to taste vaguely "indian" for my Dad's benefit.

So how did your mom make hers, then? just tuna?

Seems to me it was tuna, cracker crumbs, s & p, egg, and chopped onion. They were actually really, really good. I kid because my mom is seasoning challenged. She's accused me of being "fancy" because I use a pepper mill. :rolleyes:

Please remember, while you are doing all this sort of activity, to save the plastic packages from your loaves of white bread.

When you have collected a goodly pile of them, you can then make an appropriate and home-crafted piece of art decor for your home, to match the mood.

Braid and then sew them into a large rag rug. Hang it on the wall in a place of respect to gaze at while you eat.

(Yes, I have seen this. And actually, the thing was beautiful!  :smile: )

My mother still has some of those, used as rugs on the floor. I have the modern version made of plastic sheets not recyled from bags. They wear great and clean easily. The old ones made by my Grandmother's generation out of wonderbread bags and others in countless patterns always intrigued me. Why has nobody mentioned Spam?

Please remember, while you are doing all this sort of activity, to save the plastic packages from your loaves of white bread.

When you have collected a goodly pile of them, you can then make an appropriate and home-crafted piece of art decor for your home, to match the mood.

Braid and then sew them into a large rag rug. Hang it on the wall in a place of respect to gaze at while you eat.

(Yes, I have seen this. And actually, the thing was beautiful!  :smile: )

My mother still has some of those, used as rugs on the floor. I have the modern version made of plastic sheets not recyled from bags. They wear great and clean easily. The old ones made by my Grandmother's generation out of wonderbread bags and others in countless patterns always intrigued me. Why has nobody mentioned Spam?

I did. that's my 'cooked' version of slum-junk. I was very embarassed, but feel better with someone else admitting it!

My favorite is corn dogs, but I have to "uptown" them a bit.

I take 2 frozen or refrigerated corn dogs, brand of no consequence, plus two of my favorite kind of all beef hot dogs, 8 to the pound size, and heat all on a piece of foil in the toaster oven. When hot--and the hot dogs have browned--remove from oven and place on paper plate.

Remove sticks from corn dogs, slit lengthwise and take out those weasley weenies and throw them away or give them to the dog. Insert big juicy hot dogs into corn bread and squirt on some yellow mustard. When they're cool enough to eat, pick up and enjoy. I suppose you could try to get the sticks back in, but I never did like eating off wood and take the sticks out of ice cream bars, also.

For an emergency sweet tooth or blood sugar low, mix soft butter with brown sugar and spread on bread.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

My favorite is corn dogs, but I have to "uptown" them a bit.

I take 2 frozen or refrigerated corn dogs, brand of no consequence, plus two of my favorite kind of all beef hot dogs, 8 to the pound size, and heat all on a piece of foil in the toaster oven.  When hot--and the hot dogs have browned--remove from oven and place on paper plate.

Remove sticks from corn dogs, slit lengthwise and take out those weasley weenies and throw them away or give them to the dog.  Insert big juicy hot dogs into corn bread and squirt on some yellow mustard. When they're cool enough to eat, pick up and enjoy.  I suppose you could try to get the sticks back in, but I never did like eating off wood and take the sticks out of ice cream bars, also.

For an emergency sweet tooth or blood sugar low, mix soft butter with brown sugar and spread on bread.

you're my hero :weeps: :wink:

White middle-class American ghetto: (Yeah, I think there is such a thing :biggrin: ):

Tuna-Noodle Casserole made with Campbells Cream of Mushroom Soup

Devilled Ham (from a can) Sandwiches on Wonder Bread

Grilled Bologna Sandwiches on Wonder Bread (grill with margarine, not butter  :wink: )

Salmon Cakes made with canned salmon. Pour gloppy white sauce over top and serve with canned peas, if you wish.

My mother made something called "Hamburg Casserole" which was about 1/4 lb. of ground beef, a bunch of Minute Rice, and a can of stewed tomatoes. . .combined and baked. Not bad, actually. :smile:

Has anyone mentioned canned cheap sardines in any way?

Ditto ! All of the above except sardines. And the salmon patties were served with canned peas in cream sauce..............

I love broiled pb sandwiches............

butter and brown sugar mooshed up and put under the broiler until brown (careful ! burns easily!)

My favorite breakfast with my sister on Saturdays when watching cartoons (and the parents were sleeping)

(It's OK, she is older!)

Speaking of hot dogs, I just remembered a babysitter that I had in elementary school years who made the same thing for my early "supper" every single day of the week.

Hot dogs, sliced crosswise into little coin-shapes and placed between white bread slices then slathered with ketchup.

Strangely enough, my mother was unimpressed. Thought it terrible.

I thought them rather good, though, and don't remember ever tiring of them. :biggrin:

I suppose you could try to get the sticks back in, but I never did like eating off wood and take the sticks out of ice cream bars, also.

I thought I was the only one... eating off a wooden stick makes me gag! I've perfected the skill of eating a popsickle entirely without ever touching the stick with my tongue, lips, or any part of my mouth! I don't know why people call me compulsive.... :wacko:

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

Slum like a Cajun

Fix you some Couche Couche :cool:

Sounds good My Confusing Horoscope kind of like a kissing cousin to spoonbread, but not as rich (spoonbread includes butter, eggs and milk).

As for the title of the recipe, I was briefly taken aback since it reminded me of a similar phrase used locally--"coochie"--until I realized that around these parts the word has a totally different meaning. :biggrin:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Kraft Mac n cheese + hotdogs.

...and Jello chocolate pudding with a skin on top. These, hands down, were my favorite meal as a child.

As I've said frequently on these boards - I grew up with my grandparents, and Grandma couldn't cook very well. Mac n' cheese, hot dogs (with French's mustard), and Jello chocolate pudding are virtually indestructible.

I kind of miss them a lot, because they remind me of Grandma, who is gone now.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

Mac & Cheese

The powder one, I actually purchased this "magic" yellow powder by the lb. in Montreal.

eewwww! :smile:

no fair ridiculing people in this thread :wink:

Actually, I've seen that stuff for sale both in health food stores and in the Amish store I used to go to. . .so he is in very good company! :rolleyes:

No fair deciding my ewww is ridicule. I'm just completely amazed, hey, keep 'em coming! I'm keeping this thread on my list because I think of myself as a lazy eater, but can't think of anything to add to the forum other than my admiration of other's real slummin' foods. Every day now I look at the concoctions of the day and feel inadequate, my 30 minute pizzas and fudgey 20 minute brownie binges just don't cut it here. :raz:

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

No fair deciding my ewww is ridicule. I'm just completely amazed, hey, keep 'em coming! I'm keeping this thread on my list because I think of myself as a lazy eater, but can't think of anything to add to the forum other than my admiration of other's real slummin' foods. Every day now I look at the concoctions of the day and feel inadequate, my 30 minute pizzas and fudgey 20 minute brownie binges just don't cut it here. :raz:

fair enough!! i'm sure you have something you can add :cool:

gee I guess this is what I missed growing up....worst we had as a family was spaghetti with no meat....and I can say that I have never had canned tuna hot.....but we had tuna -macaroni salad for dinner tuesday night...I eat alot of pasta...I still eat pastina for breakfast when I can

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I just had Campbell's canned tomato soup, made with milk, for dinner. With some haricots verts cooked in butter and drizzled with balsamic. Slum city.

I just had Campbell's canned tomato soup, made with milk, for dinner. With some haricots verts cooked in butter and drizzled with balsamic. Slum city.

But you pulled yourself out of the slums with the haricots verts!

But...they were languishing in the veg drawer after Wednesday's bout with salade nicoise. I was just trying to use them up. Not enough left to make a green bean casserole out of. :rolleyes: I guess I have trouble with totally slumming meals. Next time I'll aim to accompany the soup with a Wonder bread grilled cheez sammich.