• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

slummin' it!

dvs

And:

10.  Mama's Tuna casserole:  Macaroni. canned tuna (not even the good white albacore tuna I use now), canned Campbell's cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup, milk, peas, cheese, a little seasoning salt and pepper.  I even like this cold. :blink:

Ugh. That's what's on the menu at Chateau d' Jividen tonight... but I do have albacore. Man, I gotta go grocery shopping soon. I'm scrapin' the bottom of the barrel.

Growing up it was a can of tuna and a can of cream of mushroom heated through and served on top of chow mein noodles.

But now, the slumming-it comfort food is grilled cheese (sometimes made with tomato, bacon and/or ham).

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

A can of tomatoes (whole, stewed, diced, doesn't matter) and you're good to go.

Selection 1) Add elbow macaroni, ground beef, bagged shredded cheese.

Selection 2 ) Add chopped hot dogs, onions, bagged shredded cheese.

Don't remember what the name of the second one was, but we used to call the first one slumgullion :shock:

Burgundy makes you think silly things, Bordeaux makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them ---

Brillat-Savarin

All of these hotdogs, and nobody's mentioned pigs in a blanket?!? :smile:

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

All of these hotdogs, and nobody's mentioned pigs in a blanket?!?  :smile:

no, but may I make a hotdog confession?

when no one is around i like to nuke those oscar meyer hotdogs with the cheese bits in them to oblivioun. Like til the ends bust open and get sorta chewy/crunchy, and then eat the hotdog dipped in Franks hotsauce.

Edited by tryska (log)

hmmm.....mine tend to feature kraft mac n cheese.

sometimes dressed up with tuna, sometimes i get really fancy, and add hamburger and bacon crumbles.

another favorite is hillshire farms polska keilbasa, sliced and sauteed with turmeric, cayenne, onions and cilantro, until the onions get carmelly sticky.  best if eaten on wonderbread. that's ghetto-fab.

Oh! You get fancy with the turmeric, cayenne, onions, and salsa. A week or so ago I did the mac 'n' cheese but the gooey one and fried some Hillshire farms turkey kielbasa. No dressing up except some paprika on the macaroni 'cause I like paprika with mac 'n' cheese.

Some of my 32 years old baby brother's favorite snacks:

Spaghetti sangawich = leftover cold spaghetti plopped between Wonder! bread

White sugar & Butter sangawich... yuck

Mayonnaise sangawich... ick

He insists these appetizing creations must be properly made with

cottony white wonder bread. :raz::rolleyes:

Suzanne

Okay, break out the Pillsbury crescent roll can!

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

8. Spaghetti sammich.  Heat up leftover spaghetti, sauce and top with sliced American cheese.

Spaghettio sandwich. White bread, butter, Spaghettios hot or cold, didn't matter. Mmmm.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Okay, break out the Pillsbury crescent roll can!

No we're talking! My favorite was the cheese flavoured dough ... in Canada I seem to remeber the product (from Pilsbury I think) being made specifically to wrap hot dogs in.

Now if I could just find some Squeeze-A-Snack!

A.

Oh...yeah...wonder white bread, spread on Pizza Quick sauce (remember that stuff), and a slice of american cheese. Toasted.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

Ghetto meal from my poor backpacker days in the UK... 2 pence can of Tesco brown beans in tomato sauce, on top of toasted white bread and if there was money for it or I happened to find a free packet of French's mustard to put on top... well that was heaven.

I can barely look at expensive beans in tomato sauce now much less the really really cheap variety.

Now that I'm home in Canada it's Kraft Dinner all the way when slumming it, gotta have Frank's hot sauce on it.

Edited by vanderb (log)

Vanderb (ever hungry)

Amateur with dreams of grandeur

Meatloaf TV dinners- the kind with tomato sauce NOT brown sauce

Totinos pizzas- kinda charred, too

Kool-Aid- red kinds taste best

Cheap frozen burritos- especially the spicy "beef"

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Is Kielbasa ghetto?!? I'd eat in anytime, not just when I was feeling like "slummin" it!

My good friend and I, in college, used to have ghetto night, where I called her Shanikwa and she called me Shenaynay, and we drank Boones farm wine! :raz:

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

Throw a leftover picked-over roast chicken carcass into a big pot. Toss in a couple of onions, whatever grungy past-their prime carrots or limp celery are hanging around in the bottom drawer. Add some salt and pepper and a little powdered garlic. Some poultry seasoning, just a whiff. Cover with water and a lid, and let simmer an hour or so.

Cut the top off a crinkly cello bag of egg noodles or egg dumplings (dry kind) and upend the bag over the pot. Let cook another 30 minutes or so, till most of the broth is absorbed into those big ole gooey noodles.

Ladle big bowlsful, and slather a little French's mustard on mine. Watch out for bones. Serve with a little side bowl of Pride of Illinois cream corn, just heated.

College lifesaver for 4 of us when snow kept us indoors for several days. Or when we felt flu-ish or down in the dumps.

Well, you DID say comfort food.

And WHO was that knockin' CC&PJ? That's Southern Gurrmett all the way.