• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

slummin' it!

dvs

so, the baby is in bed & the husband is at work. time for quick & easy, but tasty food for me!! when i have no one else to worry about it, i totally slum it... tonights selection was:

IMGP4256.jpg

(sorry, this meal is so low class, i couldn't even post a full bowl)

top ramen (oriental flavor)

scallions

sauce of:

sesame oil

siracha

soy sauce

chunky peanut butter

chinese mustard

topped off w/ kim chee

stuff is tasty... but certifiably ghetto.

please share your low brow favs so i can branch out!!

Here's what I made for dinner tonight (sorry, no photo available):

Medium egg noodles in a tomato-cheese sauce made with:

1 12-ounce can diced tomatoes with jalapenos

1 cup shredded New York State extra sharp Cheddar cheese (store brand)

2 cups pre-shredded Italian cheese blend (store brand)

1/2 teaspoon dry mustard

1/2 teaspoon cayenne

1/2 teaspoon Vietnamese hot chili garlic sauce (same brand as that sriracha)

1 cup milk

2 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoons flour

1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with water when the sauce didn't reduce quickly enough for me

and mixed together with:

about 3/4 pound chopped large shrimp

about 1/3 pound Polish kielbasa, coarse dice

I'm not sure this really qualifies as ghetto, but it seems pretty lowbrow to me. Everybody scarfed it down. I'll have what's left for lunch tomorrow.

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Maybe not so lowbrow, but easy and tasty:

1 can Progresso Minestrone soup.

1 large spoonful of your favorite pesto.

Stir pesto into hot soup. Voila! Instant soupe au pistou.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Oh, my goodness! I never thought of topping ramen with kimchee. One of my favorite l.c. comfort foods (besides Japanese curry rice made from the instant "roux," or canned chili over rice) is shrimp-flavored ramen, drain off most of the liquid, add ponzu sauce, a spoonful of peanut butter, and hot sauce to taste. Voila: instant "Chinese sesame noodles."

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

I think all your lowbrow dinners are too highbrow. Where's the canned soup, the packets of seasoning, the pathos?

I mean, I think my dinner last night was too highbrow to post here, but it's pretty comparable to yours:

Thaw a massive frozen chicken boob from Costco

Cut into fingers

Dredge in flour

Pan-fry

Eat dipped in sweet chili sauce

(I've never pan-fried simply floured chix boob fingers before. They got somewhat dried out. Next time, three-way coating or at least larger fingers. But I ate them anyway.)

Another friend makes some kind of Bisquick hamburger pie.  Never had it, never want to!

That's called an "impossible" pie. They're printed on the boxes of Bisquick. I know because you have no clue what I've had to eat growing up.

If curiousity does get the best of you, here's the recipe AND pic

Impossibly Easy Cheeseburger Pie :raz:

You're welcome :laugh:

I agree- these meals are not nearly ghetto enough. How about hot dogs on wonder bread (don't forget the ketchup!), 69 cent mac and cheese, instant mashed potatoes (as your main dish)? :laugh:

Of course, I've never actually eaten any of the above. :wink:

I agree- these meals are not nearly ghetto enough.  How about hot dogs on wonder bread (don't forget the ketchup!), 69 cent mac and cheese, instant mashed potatoes (as your main dish)?  :laugh: 

Of course, I've never actually eaten any of the above.  :wink:

when my husband comes home from work he'll make himself a hotdog & mayo sando... even i cannot sink that low :wacko:

A friend's mother once made us Kraft Dinner mixed with ground beef, canned tomatoes, and green peppers.  It was really good, and I hate Kraft Dinner!

That "concept" :cool: is even better with Velveeta mac and cheese tossed with seasoned cooked ground beef and a generous spoonful of salsa.

If I need an excuse. . .the kids were babies and I had the flu. . . :biggrin:

1. Mac and cheese made with a white sauce and plenty of Velveeta. To gourmet it: put buttered bread crumbs on top before baking.

2. Boil hot dogs. Make a pocket in each one; cut most of the way through the hot dog, and leave ends intact. For each, take a Velveeta slice and cut it into strips; stuff strips into hot dog pocket. Place 1/2 slice bacon over the pocket, secure it to the hot dog with toothpicks, and broil.

3. Grilled cheese: Wonder bread. Lots of mayo. Thick slices of Velveeta. Drop a hunk of butter in a hot pan, and when it melts, drop the sandwich on it. Cook on medium to medium low, so that the cheese has time to melt as the bread browns. Repeat for other side of sandwich. Serve with Campbell's Cream of Tomato soup, made with milk. As you eat the sandwich, it's inevitable that blobs of cheese will drop out. Catch those with your finger; blow on it to cool it off, and let the dog lick it off your finger. Or the cat.

4. Ritz Crackers with cottage cheese on them.

Now I get it.

Often, when eating hot dogs or smoked sausage, I skip the bread and condiments part. I even skip the heating part! After all, they are fully cooked.

I suspect some of us got thrown off track by a few of the ingredients in your original dish. Yes, everybody loves ramen, but in the ghettos I've been to, nobody has kim chee on hand. If they have Chinese mustard, it's in those little takeout packets that they forgot to use. Sriracha? If they've heard of it, they might have a bottle of "rooster sauce" on hand, but I'm more likely to find Tabasco or Crystal hot sauce instead. I will grant that Chinatown fits the definition of a ghetto, but I suspect that it's not what first comes to mind when many Americans hear the word. The face of the ghetto they conjure up probably looks like mine.

As for my dish: Shrimp are probably a bit pricey for my homies--though I have seen them, and salmon portions, at the Save-a-Lot--but some of them do have kielbasa lying around. You can substitute Velveeta for the cheeses I used.

Let's try this instead: Open can of Campbell's tomato soup. Add one can milk and heat through. Boil ramen and drain; reserve seasoning packet for future use. Combine noodles and soup. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

How's that?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Let's try this instead:  Open can of Campbell's tomato soup.  Add one can milk and heat through.  Boil ramen and drain; reserve seasoning packet for future use.  Combine noodles and soup.  Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

How's that?

Substitute Vegetarian Vegetable for Tomato soup, water for milk, and leave out the Parmesan cheese, and I ate that at least three times a week when I was in college. My other specialty was Mexican Pizza - take a pita bread, spread with Ortega taco sauce, top with canned refried beans and grated cheddar, and heat under the broiler. I can't imagine any circumstances that would get me to make either one now.

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

hmmm.....mine tend to feature kraft mac n cheese.

sometimes dressed up with tuna, sometimes i get really fancy, and add hamburger and bacon crumbles.

another favorite is hillshire farms polska keilbasa, sliced and sauteed with turmeric, cayenne, onions and cilantro, until the onions get carmelly sticky. best if eaten on wonderbread. that's ghetto-fab.

Let's try this instead:  Open can of Campbell's tomato soup.  Add one can milk and heat through.  Boil ramen and drain; reserve seasoning packet for future use.  Combine noodles and soup.  Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

How's that?

This was basically my lunch on Saturday. I was in the middle of making goat pot-stickers (definitely not ghetto) and suddenly started craving food. any food.

fry scraggly bits of goat

cook pasta

add 1 can heinz tomato soup + some milk

sprinkle with parmesan

wolf down, and feel much shame...

Martin Mallet

<i>Poor but not starving student</i>

www.malletoyster.com

1. Ditto on sardine sandwiches with onion, hot sauce, mayo and mustard and............. some of the sardine oil soaked into the bread!

2. Those fried bread/egg thingies, you know when you punch a hole out of a piece of bread (white or potato bread, of course), drop an egg in--I actually melt a piece of butter in the hole before I drop the egg in--fry it in the same pan as you fried the bacon. When you turn it over, put 1/2 slice of American cheese (Kraft, of course) on each one (I'm greedy, so I usually make two of these). Oh, and I fry the holes I punched out too! Sprinkled with a little creole seasoning, a little tabasco sauce. Toad in a Hole, I think.

3. Chef Boyardee "ravioli" right out of the can.

4. Campbells alphabet soup with hot dogs cut up in it.

5. Cream cheese and pepper jelly on ritz crackers.

6. Glory greens right out of the can.

7. Pickled pigs feet. Who has pickled pigs feet hanging out their fridge? On occasion, I do!

8. Spaghetti sammich. Heat up leftover spaghetti, sauce and top with sliced American cheese.

9. Fried "thick cut" bologna with fried onions on white bread and..... Miracle Whip :shock: and hot sauce!

Things of Ghetto Past:

Cheap, deep fried chicken wings, with "Mambo" sauce bought from the long gone Mr. T's carryout on First Street, NW.

All of the above best washed down with grape KoolAid with lemon slices in it. :laugh:

Oh so much ghetto, so little time. :rolleyes:

Edited to correct spelling.

Edited by divalasvegas (log)

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Jello salads

Fish and chips (in Scotland haggis and chips; deep fried pizza; deep fried Mars or twix)

Fray Bentos Steak and Kidney

Baked Beans

The full fried Breakfast (and still excellent)

Donar Kebab (how times change)

Chcken Tika Biryani

And:

10. Mama's Tuna casserole: Macaroni. canned tuna (not even the good white albacore tuna I use now), canned Campbell's cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup, milk, peas, cheese, a little seasoning salt and pepper. I even like this cold. :blink:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!