• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

slummin' it!

dvs

Stuff ripped from leftover prime rib bones with the teeth and hacked away with a knife for breakfast. (Salt pot and Dijon jar on hand.)

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

OK, I'll try... tonight we ate a salad of the only vegetables left in the house... 1/2 a head of red cabbage, a cucumber, 1/2 a tomato, 1/2 an onion, some steamed broccoli and some steamed cauliflower, all tossed with balsamic, the last of the fresh basil and olive oil...eaten with a half a slab of challah leftover from yesterday. Dessert? some leftover grilled pineapple from yesterday's breakfast.

We're either eating oatmeal or raisin bran for breakfast because we're running out of food and I wanrt to save the eggplant and eggs for supper! I hate food shopping sometimes, just NOT in the mood this weekend. SO... is scavenging the dregs in the refrigerator slumming it?

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Ghetto "mousse" a la:

Whip 'n Chill

Ah, I have fond memories of feeling very much the chef as I whipped up a batch of this ghetto fabulous dessert. As I recall, it not only came in chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry but lemon as well. I loved them all.

And this sweet delight as well:

Mighty Fine Eatin'

I remember us really slummin' when we bought this because it was cheaper than Jello pudding mix. You actually had to cook this; none of that instant crap! (One exception: I adored Jello instant pistachio pudding). :hmmm: Oh the fascination of cooking that lemon flavored one and watching the yellow "lemon flavor ball" slowly melt. :laugh: Even better when a "skin" forms on top.

Of course, to top it all off nothing beat:

Positively "Dreamy"

Definitely a step up from Cool Whip!

And don't even get me started on Jello gelatin.............. ummmm, Jello. :biggrin:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Chicken Parm using KFC Crispy Strips...

Let KFC do the dirty work...

With good cheeses. good sauce, garlic, and some herbs, you can knock out a decent chicken parm in a half hour...

And because it's the strips, you can portion/scoop it out easily...

My mom used to make breaded pork tenderloin, and for gravy she used Campbell's cream o' mushroom, made with 1/2 can of milk. Served over buttered Mrs. Grass egg noodles.

Trashy enuf for ya?? That's some gooood eatin', I tell ya what!

When I was newly married and poor, we used to eat broiled chicken with Lipton chicken-flavored noodles, made with milk. It's a wonder we didn't come down with scurvy....

I did not know I was poor growing up, but went to high school stupid,and came back with an attituded. My first job was slinging burgers.

Mom made the same damn thing, over and over. I didn't snap on it until I started withe the burger job. Every Sat. night, I'd come home and have fried burgers. And beans. I would think, shit...she's done this for years, and held down a job, you'd thinkl she'd get a frickin' recipe from someone.

That is how I started cooking., I'd call from work to her work. Ask how she would cook a roast, or do a stew, or whatever I'd develed up. eventually we fed everyone well and she loved me for that. When I got married, the hardest thing I had to do was tell mom she simply had to start cooking again, at least for dad.

The slumming part was where she cooked meat patties and pork and beans every single Saturday night that I lived under that roof.

With good cheeses. good sauce, garlic, and some herbs, you can knock out a decent chicken parm in a half hour...

notworthy.gif

Mac & Cheese

The powder one, I actually purchased this "magic" yellow powder by the lb. in Montreal.

You can buy cheez powder from the King Arthur Flour catalog. My housemate bought it to make cheese bread and I bogarted it to make Kraft Dinner. It's good. You can also make up the macaroni cheese from the box with sour cream instead of the milk and butter if the fridge is empty before payday. You cannot, however, put sour cream in coffee.

You can also make up the macaroni cheese from the box with sour cream instead of the milk and butter if the fridge is empty before payday.  You cannot, however, put sour cream in coffee.

Depends how desperate and how hungry you are.

The coffee could always be frozen into a granita and the sour cream blended with lots of brown sugar and lemon or orange zest to top it. . . :rolleyes:

notworthy.gif

word.

i'm impressed too!

I always wished Kraft would just sell the cheeze goo or powder....I like it on my broccoli ...but dont use frozen vegetables

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I always wished Kraft would just sell the cheeze goo or powder....I like it on my broccoli ...but dont use frozen vegetables

From loiosh's post above:

"You can buy cheez powder from the King Arthur Flour catalog."

A link is included............

From loiosh's post above:

"You can buy cheez powder from the King Arthur Flour catalog."

A link is included............

The link was broken. Here is is without a sessionid

Vermont Cheese Powder

Note that the product is showing backordered until 9/30/2005. You can find plenty of other products though.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=Cheese+Powder

Edited by pounce (log)

My soup looked like an above ground pool in a bad neighborhood.

You want powdered Cheddar cheese from Vermont and don't want to wait until 9/30 to get some?

Here you go.

The Cabot dairy farmer co-op makes some of the best Cheddar in the country. Their powdered variety's awfully good too.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Now that Spam has come up I had to jump in. I had forgotten about the baked Spam with brown sugar and cloves. I also used to slice Spam really thin and fry it crispy like bacon. Ummm . . . Must. Buy. Spam. What they do with Spam in Hawaii is just amazing.

Back in the days of off-campus housing with a bunch of Catholic girls, Kraft Mac and Cheese, mushroom soup and tuna made the EVERY Friday night casserole. I thought I would never want to see that stuff again in my life. Now, 40 years later, I am developing a craving. Nostalgia will trigger anything.

Mother, grandma and great aunt were great cooks so I didn't get into slummin' it until I was on my own at school and dad was a real stickler on my budget.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

English muffin pizzas anyone? (Slightly toated english muffin, split, a spoonful of jar sauce (Ragu!) on each half, a sprinkling of Polly-o mozzerella and a quick flash under the broiler. Maybe a sprinkle of dried oregano if you're feeling fancy!)

Disclaimer: being a native New Yorker, in no way do I equate this concoction with a real pizza; it is another animal entirely. But it does have it's place in "ghetto"/comfort food!

• 3 months later...

"Comfort/slummin' foods I ate as a youth"

Toasted English muffins with Pizza quick sauce. No cheese on top

Kraft Mac & Cheese with sliced Louis Rich turkey hotdogs

Heinz Vegetarian beans with sliced Louis Rich turkey hotdogs and pancake syrup

Louis Rich turkey bologna fried and served on Branola bread

Comfort foods as an adult

Homemade Baked mac & cheese

Mashed potatoes

Creamed spinach

Homemade hamburgers

Slummin' foods as an adult:

Chef Boyardee ravioli (I'm almost ashamed to admit this. But it happens so infrequently that I'll fess up)

Homemade corned beef hash made with canned corned beef - must be served with a fried egg and ketchup on top

Fast food (mainly from Wendy's, KFC or sometimes even McDonalds)

Edited by Kris (log)

Fritos, with canned chili and cheese on top.

Vienna sausage straight out of the can with saltines on the side.

Tuna, prepared as above.

Cold raviolis straight out of the can, with a fork.

MMMM, hurricane food. Ate it, and like it.

Next time, I might line up for the MRE's.

Umm, my total comfort foods are anything salty right out of the jars. I can demolish a can of olives in no time, and pickles are almost worse.

I also like to do this:

Take some canned or boxed broth and heat it in a pan. Drop in a packet of ramen noodles, throw away flavoring packet, toss in some frozen broccoli and stir in an egg. Delicious and totally ghetto. Everything except the egg is processed.

I also like those boxed rice pilafs. Yum!

OMG, annecros, I thought I was the ONLY one ! My guilty secret is out!

:shock:

Edited to remove the tuna :wacko:

Edited by dockhl (log)

OMG, annecros, I thought I was the ONLY one ! My guilty secret is out!

:shock:

Edited to remove the tuna :wacko:

Oh please. We used to take a summer vacation somtimes in Carrabelle, Florida. This is what we ate. Until, or in case we didn't, catch any fish. My parents were the roughing it kind of campers, too.

No guilt necessary.

Step One: Admit you are powerless over the vienna sausages. Or the raviolis.

Edited to add: My husband loves "raw" beans. That is, baked beans right out of the can with a spoon. Somehow, he cannot bring himself to acknowledge that he has been camping, until this little ceremony is preformed. After the building of the fire, of course. Even if we are camping in the Florida Keys in August.

Remind me to tell you about his "hurricane stew" some time.

:biggrin:

Edited by annecros (log)

I can make baked beans with the best of 'em. I can do the bacon and brown sugar and sauteed onions and peppers, baking the long pan until crusty and brown and caramelly. I even have one of those big brown 70's pots, which came with a recipe for "authentic" baked beans, calling for navy beans (dry, but soaked) with water and seasonings and a bit of salt pork nestled just so before baking for enough hours to get through night school.

But we used to take an unopened can of Showboat Pork 'N' Beans on picnics, open that lid, and serve them out right onto those paper plates with no apology to anyone. (And a scoop of French's glopped right on top of mine). Don't think I ever even tasted them au naturel INDOORS, however. One must have SOME standards.

And my Mom used to make "her" baked potatoes for company; the process involved no baking, as she would make mashed potatoes, smooth them out perfectly into little half-footballs on small oval plates, the kind you encounter in meat 'n' three diners, and top them with crumbled bacon and shredded cheese and sliced onion tops, with a little topknot of sour cream standing proudly above.

Sometimes for a quick dinner, I do the same, but sneak in the Idaho buds, made with butter and cream. I figure with all that extra decor on the outside, the insides will just go along for the ride. (Where DO y'all get those blushing smilies?)

And BOTH our grandmothers cursed us with this one, and we MUST have it now and then: A drained can of LeSueur peas, tossed with chopped pickles, some diced tomato, a boiled egg, and a little mayo. Redneck sallid at its finest.

Then there's my own sneaky vice, especially in Summer: A couple of chopped tomatoes, salted and left to get the juices flowing. Meanwhile, crush a dozen or so Zesta saltines, stir a teaspoon of mayo into the tomatoes, toss in the crackers, and eat from a soupbowl with a spoon and a big glass of 40-weight iced tea. (And maybe watch Dr. Phil).