• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bone Marrow

cabrales

I would appreciate members' input on where tasty dishes with bone marrow could be sampled in NY and elsewhere along the East Coast.

If members recollect, please provide an indication of (1) the general quantity of bone marrow included in a dish, and (2) whether the bone containing the marrow was attached to the accompanying meat.  :wink:

Gramercy Tavern top a filet of beef with bone marrow.  One or two disks. The good news is that when I expressed my appreciation, they brought me out an extra order.  Probably about six slices altogether.

Gabrielle makes a great bone marrow and parsley salad at Prune.

1) She will give you two or three huge bones full of marrow per salad.  Really more than you can spread on several toasts... you end up having leftover or... could always spoon it straight into your mouth...

2) no meat attached.

Akiko

The kind people at blue ribbon serve a dish consisting of three bone segments, about 3-4 inches long and full of marrow. It is served with toast and some slow cooked meat (oxtail I think).

M

I just had a conversation with the chef at Strip House (12th bet 5th and University).  He advised me that if requested he will serve a plate of 4-5 marrowbones with toast and the little marrow spoon.  Otherwise, every steak is plated with a marrow bone(not connected to the meat) and accoutrements.

• 2 weeks later...

The Porterhouse steak (for two persons; $70-75 for the combined portion) at Craft has two segments of bone marrow included.  The bone marrow was a decent amount, and accompanied a tasty steak. A write-up on the dinner from me (or robert brown, who dined together with Susan and me) will be provided when time permits. Overall assessment: average-plus for the meal, with a good-plus steak dish and a very good Meyer lemon steamed dessert.    :wink:

When we were at Craft recently, Jason ordered the sirloin (for one, it was big enough for two, with all the side orders we, um, ordered). It came with a marrow bone. I had to ask for a marrow spoon, they didn't have one, but the server brought me a demitasse spoon, worked well enough.

I had to ask for a marrow spoon, they didn't have one, but the server brought me a demitasse spoon, worked well enough.

Our dining party had a discussion about marrow spoons as well. We utilized a small spoon that came with either (1) the garlic-based (?; unsampled) sauce served with, but in a separate container from, the fingerling potatoes entree side (probabably the case), or (2) the bernaise sauce accompanying the Porterhouse.  :wink:

Serving marrow without a marrow spoon?

I mean: ?

What are people supposed to do?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I mean: ?  What are people supposed to do?

Insert tongue far into orifice.  Move it slowly about from side to side until you feel the soft stuff inside.  Then pressing your lips around the edges, suck vigorously.  Who needs a spoon? :biggrin:

Insert tongue far into orifice.  Move it slowly about from side to side until you feel the soft stuff inside.  Then pressing your lips around the edges, suck vigorously.  Who needs a spoon? :biggrin:

i think i just fell in love.

no, that was sick.  even for me, that was sick.

The marrow at Prune--from a recipe by Fergus Henderson(the parsley salad)--is wonderful.  And I love the place.

Note on marrow spoons: The reason few restaurants offer them is that they are way too pretty--and expensive. People steal them. You'd lose every other one if put on the table.

abourdain

There is an article by Gabrielle Hamilton on Prune in the July 2002 issue of Food and Wine.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

I mean: ?  What are people supposed to do?

You've greatly improved my marital life, thanks.  :raz:

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

It is icky. In a good way.

There is a chapter by Kenneth Roberts (1955) on "The Marrowbone Matter" in "Endless Feasts: Sixty Years of Writing From Gourmet" (ed. Ruth Reichl 2002).

"I have three marrow spoons . . . at one end is a shallow bowl [?] three-quarters of an inch wide and two to three inches long. At the other end is an even narrower bowl -- more of a scoop than a spoon -- only a quarter of an inch wide and three to four inches long. The larger bowl is, of course, for spooning marrow from large-tubed marrowbones. The smaller is for poking marrow past the osseous obstructions that frequently and irritatingly crop up in even the best and largest marrowbones."

"My research into the mysteries of marrowbones led me into an intricate correspondence with dietitians and experts on fats. What was the relationship, I wished to know, between marrow and the ordinary fat around the edges of a steak or a chop? . . . ."  There is a marked difference in my book. What do members think?  :wink:

I most certainly think so. The creaminess of marrow makes fat seem like leather.