• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Celebrity Chefs Worth Working For.....

ssg

Where have all the cooks gone? When chef's are too busy shaking hands, kissing babies, and spending all their time in the dining room. Where have all the true Chef's worth working for gone? Do Guests still think these 'celebrities' still have a hand in the kitchen?

What is life like in a real kitchen? Where should cooks really work....

Define "hand in the kitchen." I think many celebrity chefs definitely leave their imprint on the food that is served. Which is also to say that I think one can learn a lot from working in any well organized, well disciplined kitchen where great food is being turned out. I also suspect that in restaurants where the chef is in attendence every day, a stagiaire is not going to work at the chef's side and wll be learning most of what he learns from others in the kitchen.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

So who is reallly worth working for... Which kitchens in New York are truly great.

'celebrity Chef', food, staff, equipment, kitchen design, etc.

Could you tell me who you consider to be a celebrity chef? That would help me understand more what you mean. Have you staged/trailed anywhere yet?

Edited by FabulousFoodBabe (log)
"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

So who is reallly worth working for... Which kitchens in New York are truly great.

'celebrity Chef', food, staff, equipment, kitchen design, etc.

Could you tell me who you consider to be a celebrity chef? That would help me understand more what you mean. Have you staged/trailed anywhere yet?

Any 2-4 star chef is worth working for if the "stagiere" is able to learn by asking good, concise questions while performing mindless prep. Rarely will anyone in a busy kitchen have time to hold someone's hand.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Keller is quite involved but hes expanding his empire which spreads his attention.

Dont work for Bobby.

Ive hear Batali is a good guy to work for...SHIFT DRINKS!

Daniel is in the kitchen a lot (at Daniel). Cafe Boulud is a good place.

Jean-George seems to be there?? Not suer though.

You really want an education go work for Carmellini.

M

NYC

"Get mad at them eggs!"

in Cool Hand Luke

You have to remember that, while most of the "celebrity" chefs aren't in the kitchen on a nightly (or sometimes even weekly) basis, they most likely have still hired well, and hired someone they trust on a personal level to execute their vision and food. Maybe Bolud won't be there every night, but his Chef de Cuisine will be there damn near every night, and that guy is probably good enough to someday be his own celebrity chef.

Those kitchens are top kitchens for a reason...not just because some guys name is on the door.

Heard some bad things about Emeril - but it sounded like ego stuff - same for Mario. I think some of these guys are really great and just watching what they do and how they do it is amazing. I went to CIA as a career changer and the CMCs and "lifers" could do thing and make them look so easy. I think they all have cranky days - my exec chef on extern was brilliant and you knoew he was in the building, not by yelling, but the calmness he led to the ranks. Now my last gig the exec was well he prided himsl;ef on making people scared of him and darogatory statements - hell i had to go in the walk in to see my CIA Diploma card to make sure a few days....

You have to remember that, while most of the "celebrity" chefs aren't in the kitchen on a nightly (or sometimes even weekly) basis, they most likely have still hired well, and hired someone they trust on a personal level to execute their vision and food. Maybe Bolud won't be there every night, but his Chef de Cuisine will be there damn near every night, and that guy is probably good enough to someday be his own celebrity chef.

Those kitchens are top kitchens for a reason...not just because some guys name is on the door.

That is true. Jean Georges has some really great guys working with him, I know a few of them and they are great chefs in their own right.

And in most cases they are working towards their own place so they have that passion and determination to run a world class kitchen. Thats the only way the big guys can take a day off, or run a few other spots at the same time.

But the little time I have been in Jean Georges kitchens, I have learned a lot. They are VERY consistent considering he has restaurants all over the globe. Its somthing you just have to respect. You can go to New york or China and his dishes taste the same.

Mario Batali, Tommy Keller , John George They are never there but it is great exposure

thomas kellar is always around (in yountville)

TK is NOT always around. Hes at TFL no more than 4 or 5 days a month, on average, sometimes less. With book signings, going to Per Se and Bouchon Vegas, and everything else hes got going on, hes rarely in the kitchen. Sometimes he works the pass when hes in town.

-Chef Johnny

John Maher
Executive Chef/Owner
The Rogue Gentlemen

Richmond, VA

Mario Batali, Tommy Keller , John George They are never there but it is great exposure

thomas kellar is always around (in yountville)

TK is NOT always around. Hes at TFL no more than 4 or 5 days a month, on average, sometimes less. With book signings, going to Per Se and Bouchon Vegas, and everything else hes got going on, hes rarely in the kitchen. Sometimes he works the pass when hes in town.

-Chef Johnny

Not even the slightest bit accurate. 4 or 5 days a month? Are you aware he lives within steps of the restaurant. Work's the pass? There is not a more hands on celebrity chef out there. Which means whatever needs to be done.

Robert R

I used to cook fish there. 'Nuff said. So yes, I am aware he lives behind the restaurant. Did you know that the poached truffles and bacon and stocks are kept in a chest freezer on his back porch?

I am aware he works the pass IF he is in town, though not everytime. I do agree he is the most hands on celeb chef there is, we peeled a case of asparagus once after service for a private function for Harold McGee. But trust, he's not there that often, and he's especially not "always around."

-Chef Johnny

John Maher
Executive Chef/Owner
The Rogue Gentlemen

Richmond, VA

Where have all the cooks gone? When chef's are too busy shaking hands, kissing babies, and spending all their time in the dining room. Where have all the true Chef's worth working for gone? Do Guests still think these 'celebrities' still have a hand in the kitchen?

What is life like in a real kitchen? Where should cooks really work....

Getting back to the basis of this blogorific question of where cooks should really work. I do not know if you are out looking for a job, or if you are just curious. Whatever your story may be,it does not necessarily interest me. However, my hope is that cooks go out with the intension of learning something they want. Not just to get a name under their belt. That almost seems idiotic to say, but most cooks need to be reminded of that often. If you see something you like, go for it. If you come across the best risotto,in your own opinion, get in there. Learn how to make that risotto dish better than any one there; even the chef himself. I have seen similar situations mucho times. It is fantastic to watch. While in this process of self improvement, you happen to put some big names on your resume. Good for you, they pay shittier wages than anything I have heard in a while. Also, it is not your name. Go learn what you want, and make a name for yourself. Only if that is what you want, of coarse.

All of you naggers and flaw finders may disect all you like. it is merely an opinion. I suppose I will allow you to have your own.

Animals eat, men and women dine, and men and women of good taste dine well"

One works for a particular chef to learn his cuisine and get some general kitchen experience. One can start at the bottom of the kitchen ladder and apprentice, or after culinary school, do "stage" work (a few months employ). The implied deal is that one works cheaply for the education received. A big name is secondary, but it can help.

I just had a whirlwind tour of kitchens in SF last week: Michael Mina's, French Laundry and Chez Panisse. It wasn't so easy to get the stages. I had to be really persistent, and it didn't hurt that I work at a great place now, but I got them and it was really interesting. The best part was not what I learned culinarily, but what I learned about different kitchen cultures. I loved it and will definitely do it again, in another city.

Just call the places you want to go, ask to speak to the right person, explain what you want to do and why, and don't give up easily! Good luck!