• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Celebrity Chefs Worth Working For.....

ssg

I, for one, would love to read a report on the 'kitchen culture' of those restaurants.... perhaps in a new forum? :)

Sandy Levine
The Oakland Art Novelty Company

sandy@TheOaklandFerndale.com www.TheOaklandFerndale.com

www.facebook.com/ArtNoveltyCompany twitter: @theoakland

But why not? They are just human beings who share your passion! We have such a fascination with any kind of celebrity in this country that we have our own private celebrities on such a high pedestal. We imagine them to be unapproachable. Some of them make themselves that way, but you should be aware of the ones you've made so yourself.

But I digress. Yeah, just call them. I started with the person who answered the phone, told them what I wanted and they connected me with who I needed to speak to. In most cases, it was the sous chef or executive sous chef. They're usually the people with the power in the kitchen, anyway. They set my schedule and teamed me up with someone in the kitchen. And then I did everything they told me to do. I tried to be gracious and obedient. I kept my eyes open around the kitchen to see what else was going on. I asked a lot of questions. I'm sending big fat thank you gifts, too, to make sure I get to come back. I shook hands with Alice Waters and Thomas Keller, but I worked for the sous chefs, the folks who are in the kitchen everyday, making the big names look good.

I also think that there are exciting kitchens to be in right now that don't have celebrity chefs in them (yet). Take a look at the Beard nominations: Michael Tusk, who makes fantastic food in a tiny restaurant; Nate Appleman at A16; Sean Brock or Hugh Atcheson or John Besh. Make your own list of local chefs, places you've had great food. They're the ones who will be the next celebrities, if not nationally then locally. Or should be. The best cooks aren't on the food network. They just have the best dental coverage.

I hear Alfred Portale is still manning the stove most nights over at Gotham....

he's there quite a bit, but no not "manning the stove"

Pastry PRincess

a day without love, laughter or dessert is a day wasted.