• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

cous cous royale

When skiing earlier this year our instructor took us for lunch, the plat du jour was 'cous cous royale'. He seemed very keen on it so i followed his example, I didn't know what it would entail but luckily, it was excellent!

It came dish of cous-cous and a big pot of merguez sausages in a spicy broth to be spooned over the cous-cous.

i've now got some merguez and cous-cous, anyone have any thoughts as to how to recreate the broth?

thanks

gary

you don't win friends with salad

Don't forget the spices, depending on the ethnicity of the chef, the spice mix used might differ a bit ( more or less coriander, more or less cinnamon, ... )

also, if it was "spicy"-ish, they might have added some harissa to the broth.

I prefer using a vegetable broth, it make's the sauve a bit lighter, and puts the meat on the foreground.