• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Serendipity

maxmillan

My niece will be flying in from New York to Vancouver and I want her to pick me up something from this place. I understand they sell mostly chocolates?

What is their best selling product? It must be small enough to fit in her carry on, of course.

My coworker tells me that their cold hot chocolate mix is to die for?

Thanks for your help. :smile:

It would appear, from their web site, that cosmetics are the biggest selling products, at least by the numbers offered. Perhaps their Frrrozen Hot Chocolate Mix is the number one product. Who am I to argue with Marilyn Monroe, Grace Kelly, Cary Grant, The Dutchess of Windsor, Cher, Diana Ross, Tom Cruise, Nicole Kidman, Courtney Love, and Meg Ryan, who, it seems, have all been served the dessert. I suppose there is something impressive about "a secret blend of 14 gourmet cocoas." When I was a teenager, the place was famous for their ice cream sundaes and desserts. I haven't been in there in over 40 years. All I can offer is the web page above.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

their cheesecake is excellent.. it has a walnut crust and is HUGE.. a slice would easily fit in her carryon..

other than that, this place is good for the kitsch factor of a visit.. good ice cream and random desserts, but it's not a chocolate shop at all..

Kitsch rarely travels well. I was reluctant to say it didn't seem like a place I'd recommend for shopping or souvenirs as it's been generations since I've been there.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I've been there somewhat recently and I would recomend to avoid. It's become an enormous tourist trap. Expect waits of up to 2 hours for mediocre to bad deserts. I think it used to be good in its hayday and is getting by on its reputation alone now.

~WBC