• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Things to do with roasted vegetables

Pat W

First of all, I apologize if this has been done to death. I did a forum search but it didn't really work out

We bought a share in a CSA this year & at the moment have a refrigerator full wonderful, organic vegetables. Tonight, while my husband was out fishing, I roasted several new potatoes along with some onions, red & green peppers, summer squash, celery & a handful of garlic cloves, all of which had been tossed with a little olive oil & balsamic vinegar & dusted with freshly ground pepper & sea salt. (The sea salt was Maldon thanks to advice received in an earlier thread.)

The end result was scrumptious. We (the husband having returned sans fish) devoured the whole pan. It was almost as good as ravishing a box of chocolates.

My question is.... having even more vegetables available, if I roast another bunch, what else can I do with them?

In the late sixties there was a wonderful small restaurant here that did something similar with brown rice beneath & melted cheese above.

It seems that these delectable morsels would lend themselves to some kind of pasta treatment.

This is new territory for me & any suggestions would be much appreciated.

pat w.

I would live all my life in nonchalance and insouciance

Were it not for making a living, which is rather a nouciance.

-- Ogden Nash

http://bluestembooks.com/

I also make a roasted veg. soup - but better for winter. I agree - toss them with pasta and some chevre or feta and fresh herbs or on a pizza or flatbread.

Take some great bread - crusty, spread with pesto - layer the roasted vegetables - top with cheese and toast. :wub:

This is my most favourite way of eating roast vegetables. I vary the bread often and sometimes add sun-dried tomatoes in oil and fresh basil to the filling. I also love to eat the roast vegetables cold from the fridge with some chunks of mozzarella and lots of tabasco sauce. Whizzing them up with tomatoes, reducing the whole lot to a sauce consistency and serving it with pasta is my sneaky way of adding more veggies to my children's diet.

Thank you all for the great ideas & recipes. I mean to try them all, although the vegetables in olive bread seems a bit daunting. It looks like a lot of vegetables are going to be roasted around here.

I combined a couple of your suggestions for lunch. We happened to have half a baguette & some feta cheese. I split the baguette, brushed on a little olive oil & toasted under the broiler. Then tossed the half cup or so of vegetables left over with the feta, piled them on the baguette & put them back in the oven for awhile.

It was yummy but I think if we had had some pesto lying around, it would have been a spiritual experience.

Sooo, I'm off to buy some pine nuts, there is a bunch a basil in the back yard calling my name.

You people are so nice.

Pat w.

-- Ogden Nash

Thank you all for the great ideas & recipes.  I mean to try them all, although the vegetables in olive bread seems a bit daunting.  It looks like a lot of vegetables are going to be roasted around here.

I combined a couple of your suggestions for lunch.  We happened to have half a baguette & some feta cheese.  I split the baguette, brushed on a little olive oil & toasted under the broiler.  Then tossed the half cup or so of vegetables left over with the feta, piled them on the baguette & put them back in the oven for awhile. 

It was yummy but I think if we had had some pesto lying around, it would have been a spiritual experience.

Sooo, I'm off to buy some pine nuts,  there is a bunch a basil in the back yard calling my name.

You people are so nice. 

Pat w.

Sorry PAt, this may come a bit late, but please don't be daunted by the prospect of making the bread. I forgot to mention it, but I've never made this bread. I usually buy the bread or make a chilli tomato bread instead.

Edit: typos

Edited by rajsuman (log)

How about couscous flavored or plain with the addition of toasted pine nuts and currants or raisins, topped with the roasted vegetables and harissa on the side?

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Sorry PAt, this may come a bit late, but please don't be daunted by the prospect of making the bread. I forgot to mention it, but I've never made this bread. I usually buy the bread or make a chilli tomato bread instead.

Edit: typos

Ahhhh thank you for posting such delightful news! I shall definitely give it a try.

pat w

Thank you also, divalasvegas..... That sounds yummy. Sigh, must stop reading this forum when I'm hungry. Tummy is rumbling out of control.

pat w

-- Ogden Nash

I've become convinced that just about *any* recipe that calls for vegetables can be blasted into a whole new level of yum by roasting the vegetables first.

Awhile ago I took my standard ratatouille recipe, and oven-roasted all the vegetables before combining them and simmering just a little more to blend flavors, and I wound up with the most intensely-flavored ratatouille I'd ever produced. With the sweetness from the caramelization on the onions and bell peppers, it was almost more like a caponata than a ratatouille. :wub:

When the weather cools off again, you can be sure I'll be making all my usual favorite soups and stews, but with all roasted vegetables instead of sweated/sauted ones. Roast veggies rule!

Delia Smith has two great recipes for roasted vegetables - roasted vegetable lasagne - really delicious - however, warning, it doesn't freeze well - somehow 'roasted' becomes 'tastes burnt' after a little spell in the freezer.

The other is her roasted vegetable couscous with harissa dressing . So good I might have to make it tonight. I'm not mad on goat's cheese; feta works just as well as a substitute.

I also like to roast my vegetables separately, as you can see from this post in the Dinner! thread.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

Delia Smith has two great recipes for roasted vegetables - roasted vegetable lasagne - really delicious - however, warning, it doesn't freeze well - somehow 'roasted' becomes 'tastes burnt' after a little spell in the freezer.

The other is her roasted vegetable couscous with harissa dressing .  So good I might have to make it tonight.  I'm not mad on goat's cheese; feta works just as well as a substitute.

I also like to roast my vegetables separately, as you can see from this post in the Dinner! thread.

It's been miserably hot here the last few days, so running a 400 degree oven for an hour has lost it's appeal for the moment, but I have a lovely, fat folder of printouts from this thread to try when the weather cools.

Many thanks for the Delia links. I spent a little too much time wandering around her website, but it so was much pleasanter than the work I was supposed to be doing.

Your post in the dinner thread was lyrical. I don't suppose you would consider adopting me?

pat w

-- Ogden Nash

How about using the leftover roasted veggies in a fritatta or a risotto dish? Roasted potatoes might not work great in risotto (starch + starch), but I would imagine most others would. Roasted squash or parsnips would be lovely in either dish.

By the way, I can't wait for late fall again to try roasting some parsnips with a sprinkle of ground cardamom. Just heard about that one.

And one rather odd method of roasting fingerling potatoes that turns out to work very well is: grease the roasting pan with butter. Cut the potatoes lengthwise and place in the pan. Add some peeled garlic cloves and olive oil, then mix everthing up to coat well, making sure the potatoes end up cut side up. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, add some fresh chopped sage and a few tablespoons of water. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for half an hour, then take off the aluminum foil, crank the heat way up and finish for another 10 minutes or so. This made great "roasted" potatoes.

• 3 years later...

I just love roasted veg - realized the other day that I haven't done any this winter yet. The leftovers often get recycled into a simple pasta sauce - a little oil, maybe some parmesan, a bit of the pasta water.

Toss chunks of butternut squash with olive oil, slivers of garlic, salt, pepper. Roast until tender and lightly carmelized. Addictive! Last winter I found myself preparing it at a dinner with more guests than expected, so to stretch it I tossed the roasted squash with cooked barley and some dried cranberries. It was a tasty and lovely side dish, a big hit with the guests and worthy of being made again.

One thing I like doing in the winter is a roasted veg bread pudding! Simple way would be to mix the veggies with cubed bread, maybe some roasted garlic too, in a baking pan, and make an egg/milk mixture, pour it over, bake until knife comes out clean.

You could always do that, cut it into squares or whatever size you would want for a portion, and then wrap it in puff pastry, en croute style, and bake until it's golden brown.

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality.