• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great Balls of Barley!

nyfirepatrolchef X

Ive gotten into the habit of using Barley as a side dish....in a manner similar to a risoto.   I usually sweat some chopped onion in olive oil, add some garlic, chicken stock, kosher salt, black pepper, and either some ground fennel or rosemary. Maybe some grated carrot if I have some to grate.  Cook til the fluid is absorbed.  If I want to get it a bit more liquidy at the end I throw in some soy milk and let it sit a minute.  I usually serve it with chicken (I eat a lot of chicken).

Ideas?

I am very fond of barley.  It works with stewed lamb - indeed any kind of lamb.  It is also found, along with beans, in the Jewish dish cholent - but there are people around here who are going to know a lot more about cholent than me.

Barley can be used in a side dish salad, like a pilaf. Toss the cooked barley with flash sauteed diced zucchini, carrots, onion, garlic, and lots of frsh chopped parsley...or cilantro, scallions, sesame oil, rice viengar, etc...use cooked barley the way you would orzo or rice, but take into account its nuttier flavor  and chewier texture.

Two companies make a quick cooking parley I love...Mother's and Quaker, and in both instances it is sold in beige colored boxes. It is ready to eat in about 20 minutes (the front of the box lies and says 10)...it is a great way of getting more of this delish and wholesom grain into your diet when more pressed for time.

Reconstute a range of dried wild mushrooms. Use the soaking liquor to cook the barley. Saute the mushrooms in butter with shallots. When the barley is cooked, fold in mushrooms, and an egg or so. Mold barley mixture into small balls. Coat in corn starch three times. Deep fry. Serve with a sorrel pesto.

Nice with grilled mahi mahi and a tomato consomme with silken tofu cubes and peeled grape tomatoes.

Great balls of barley.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

or, check out Cooking Light, may 2002, page 192...curried barley with raisins and almonds. If you cant get to the magazine, look it up on their web site  cookinglight.com