• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cult Tacos in LA

anncashion

Amigos:

I'll be doing "research" (edible) in LA in a couple of weeks and I'm looking for recommendations for muy authentico soft tacos. I'm not squeamish (all fillings welcome) and I'm not nervous (any location is fine). It doesn't have to be a restaurant or even a hole in the wall. Trucks are fine, too, as long as you can give an approximate location. Soooo...Where do you go for the ultimate taco?

I vote for Tito's in Culver City. There must be a good reason for the long lines at all times of day.

Elie

Eliahu Yeshua

Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian; wine and tarragon make it French. Sour cream makes it Russian; lemon and cinnamon make it Greek. Soy sauce makes it Chinese; garlic makes it good.

- Alice May Brock

There's a place in the Grand Central Market in downtown Los Angeles. It's against the south wall, about mid-way into the market. I can find it darn if I know the name of it.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Amigos:

I'll be doing "research" (edible) in LA in a couple of weeks and I'm looking for recommendations for muy authentico soft tacos.  I'm not squeamish (all fillings welcome) and I'm not nervous (any location is fine).  It doesn't have to be a restaurant or even a hole in the wall.  Trucks are fine, too, as long as you can give an approximate location.  Soooo...Where do you go for the ultimate taco?

There's a place in the Grand Central Market in downtown Los Angeles.  It's against the south wall, about mid-way into the market.  I can find it darn if I know the name of it.

Thanks alot, I will definitely check it out.

anncashion

Amigos:

I'll be doing "research" (edible) in LA in a couple of weeks and I'm looking for recommendations for muy authentico soft tacos.  I'm not squeamish (all fillings welcome) and I'm not nervous (any location is fine).  It doesn't have to be a restaurant or even a hole in the wall.  Trucks are fine, too, as long as you can give an approximate location.  Soooo...Where do you go for the ultimate taco?

Great, because I've gotten great feedback on this location from another source. I will certainly check it out. Do you have a favorite fish taco in the area?

anncashion

Go into the city of Lennox which is just under the flight path of LAX....Its a 1 sq mile transplant of any city in Mexico....there are a tons of places to check out....Try La Ferria on inglewood ave at 107 st.....just go in the day time.....

Edited by Chris Cognac (log)

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

There's a place in the Grand Central Market in downtown Los Angeles.  It's against the south wall, about mid-way into the market.  I can find it darn if I know the name of it.

Are you thinking of King Taco?

It's been many years since I worked in downtown L.A., but Manuel's El Tepeyac on Evergreen Street in East L.A. near Soto Street (go during the daytime) was great. Ciro's down the street was also good.

Edited by sand (log)

York blvd in the 60's in Highland park. Any place will do. For carnitas try Denise Antijos on Olympic near Ditman ( take 5 south get off ditman go left on olympic for a few blocks Denise on rt hand side) she also makes the hard to find yet wonderfuly delish chichaornes con carne, this is chicharones that have a big peice of meat still on it. Usually available after 11AM but gone by 3pm. There is a street in Boyle Heights that has great illegal food carts linning it but I do not remeber name. I will remember and post it soon.

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's called Mario's. Several months ago, it had a fire. But now, they're back up and running. Usually, I order the carne asada burrito con salsa roja, solamente ... for four bucks ...

York blvd in the 60's in Highland park. Any place will do. For carnitas try Denise Antijos on Olympic near Ditman ( take 5 south get off ditman go left on olympic for a few blocks Denise on rt hand side) she also makes the hard to find yet wonderfuly delish chichaornes con carne, this is chicharones that have a big peice of meat still on it. Usually available after 11AM but gone by 3pm. There is a street in Boyle Heights that has great illegal food carts linning it but I do not remeber name. I will remember and post it soon.

LA Times Food Section Digest (31 Aug. 2005) has an article by Charles Perry about those illegal taco carts ... and the county health inspectors that love to inspect them ...

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Hands down kids - my one recommendation would be - LA PLAYITA - it's a small taco stand on Lincoln blvd. 1 blk. north of Rose in Venice. If you're looking for a place that has tacos you can't get anywhere else (especially when you see workds like cabesa and maw on the menu), this is your place. You'll be the ONLY gringo on line there, but once you order the tacos and the best $1.50 shrimp ceviche you'll find off their enormous menu (they are known for their seafood), you'll sit back with the day laborers and smile, knowing someone steered you in the right direction.

There is a fine taco place on Main Street in Santa Monica called "Holy Guacamole". Right accross the street from a very good micro-beer bar called the "Library Alehouse"

If you live in that area, go to my post down below about LaPlayita - I think you'll like it better than Holy Guacamole

I think it's called Mario's. Several months ago, it had a fire. But now, they're back up and running. Usually, I order the carne asada burrito con salsa roja, solamente ... for four bucks ...

I need to correct myself, complete with photos ...

gallery_24802_1775_6817.jpg

The Grand Central Market in downtown Los Angeles. This picture was taken from Hill St. (west side)

gallery_24802_1775_78032.jpg

Halfway down this aisle, on the right side is ...

gallery_24802_1775_12086.jpg

Tomas, not Mario's

gallery_24802_1775_73073.jpg

I had the good fortune to have lunch with Holly Moore today. We both ordered two tacos, one with carne asada (beef), the other with carnitas (pork). Mine has the red salsa only; Holly's with onions, cilantro & green sauce. Two tacos for $4. Can you tell the difference between the carne asada & the carnitas.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...