• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What to do with passionfruit?

LindyCat

<- jealous! I had this drink on a cruise ship, and now I'm looking all over for something like that. I've tried passionfruit juice, and it's ok. Now on the lookout for any local (SF Bay Area) sources for Monin syrups.

Anyway, the drink: the "Island Breeze", just a seabreeze with passionfruit goo. I was running my finger down the menu looking for something without pineapple juice (too sweet), and stopped on this one: vodka, cranberry juice, grapefruit juice, "passionfruit compound". Which, when I ordered the drink, turned out to be something the approximate consistency of spackle which they dug out of a tub with a spoon. Anyway, the drink was fantastic and I drank them all week. Then I got home and discovered to my embarrassment that it was a seabreeze variant (I'd been neglecting juice drinks in favor of martinis and manhattans).

--

Ben

<p>Beachbum Berry's <cite>Grog Log</cite> and <cite>Intoxica!</cite> have quite a few recipes with passionfruit juice, passionfruit nectar, and passionfruit syrup.</p>

<p>One picked at random from <cite>Intoxica!</cite> (exclamation point mandatory). The Octopus:</p>

<ul><li>1 1/2 ounces orange juice</li>

<li>1 1/2 ounces passion fruit nectar</li>

<li>dash angostura bitters</li>

<li>1 1/2 ounces 151 Puerto Rican Rum</li>

<li>1 1/2 ounces club soda</li></ul>

<p>Pour everything but the soda water into a tiki mug filled with crushed ice, top with soda and stir.</p>

<p>Lots of good stuff in those books, but you end up with a frightening number of rums in the liquor cabinet (and enlisting friends to smuggle Havana Club). <cite>Intoxica!</cite> has more passionfruit juice recipes, <cite>Grog Log</cite> has more syrup recipes.</p>

Now on the lookout for any local (SF Bay Area) sources for Monin syrups.

I ordered from Monin successfully over the internet. Got passionfruit, rose, violet (for blue moons), jasmine, lavendar, and vanilla. All quite tasty, and natural ingredients. I'd also like to try their orgeat.

Next to the ti punch, which can't be beat for simplicity, one of my favorite rhum agricole drinks is passionfruit juice, rhum agricole and a wedge of lime squeezed into the passionfruit and rhum over ice.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Next to the ti punch, which can't be beat for simplicity, one of my favorite rhum agricole drinks is passionfruit juice, rhum agricole and a wedge of lime squeezed into the passionfruit and rhum over ice.

I was just served a very similar drink this weekend - the rhum agricole was replaced by cachaca and there was a strip of lime peel in there - it was delicious, refreshing, and a second one stood up well to a variety of fish croquettes with spicy sauces.

"There never was an apple, according to Adam, that wasn't worth the trouble you got into for eating it"

-Neil Gaiman

• 4 weeks later...

By far my favorite caipirinha is a passion fruit caipirinha.

Here's how to make it:

Combine the pulp and seeds of 1 ripe passion fruit with 3 teaspoons of superfine sugar and 1.5 ounces of good cachaca in a lowball glass. Stir the mix well and add ice. Delicious!

• 2 weeks later...

I just came up with a Passionfruit-Melon margarita for a client of mine.

Passionfruit-Melon Margarita:

1½ oz. lime juice

2 oz. gold tequila

2 Tbs. Passionfruit puree (the frozen kind)

1 oz. Melon liqueur

½ oz Triple Sec

Shake and either strain for up or serve on the rocks. Garnish with skewered melon balls.

These are quite tasty.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol