• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[DFW] Weekend of eating

Diann

Hi all,

I'm going to be down in Dallas soon and the plan is to embark on a weekend of eating, eating, and some more eating. Definitely lots of brisket and Tex-Mex for lunch (including North Main BBQ...I'm so excited!!!), and planned dinners at York Street, Lola, and La Duni.

So here are my questions:

- If I don't eat at Lola's tasting room, am I missing out? How's the regular menu?

- Do you have any must-have dish recommendations for the restaurants above?

And if there are any other places that I absolutely have to visit while I'm in town, please let me know. I'm looking for food that I don't get enough of in Philadelphia, which in my mind is specifically BBQ brisket sandwiches and quesadillas/fajitas/etc, OR really innovative cooking (along the lines of York St and Lola) OR a great wine bar. I want to visit some of the Texas wineries I've been reading about but most seem pretty far from Dallas...

Thanks for your help!

Edited to add that the (somewhat ambitious) lunch plans are: North Main BBQ, Snuffers, Casa Navarro (I haven't heard anyone mention it on this board but I love it), and maybe Sonny Bryan's. (God help me, but I do love their buttery, squishy rolls.) Everything in moderation, right?

Edited by Diann (log)

The Dallas Observer just last week did a cover story on the small wineries that are cropping up in the DFW area. Two or three were, if I recall correctly, directly in the Dallas city limits. You'll need to do a search on their homepage to find the article, since it's a new issue as Wednesday.

York Street should be fun. Best meal I've had in Dallas in a while. Very seasonal menu, so just go for what strikes you. Their peach soup has gotten some raves on this board, if you're looking for a quintessential dish there. Fort Worth's a nice little day trip if you have the time. Enjoy your stay, and let us know how it went!

The Dallas Observer just last week did a cover story on the small wineries that are cropping up in the DFW area.  Two or three were, if I recall correctly, directly in the Dallas city limits.  You'll need to do a search on their homepage to find the article, since it's a new issue as Wednesday.

York Street should be fun.  Best meal I've had in Dallas in a while.  Very seasonal menu, so just go for what strikes you.  Their peach soup has gotten some raves on this board, if you're looking for a quintessential dish there. Fort Worth's a nice little day trip if you have the time.  Enjoy your stay, and let us know how it went!

I have read Nana's menu on-line and it looks to be very creative. Anybody eating there?

Diann

Just as a side note, North Main is BYOB, so if you really want a great Texas BBQ experience, waltz in there with a 6 pack of Shiner Bock longnecks under your arm. Oh, and eat ribs. Lots and lots of ribs. They are delicious there.

• 5 weeks later...

Just wanted to thank everyone who sent me recommendations - I really appreciated it. Ultimately, we decided to go low-key and lower-end for the weekend (which fit my budget better), so Lola, York Street, and all the other wonderful Dallas dining destinations will have to wait until next time.

I did get to eat some great barbeque, burgers, and Tex-Mex, though. North Main was great - I couldn't get enough of the smokey brisket and sausage. I will also always love Snuffer's and Burger House (it shouldn't be hard to make a great burger, but these were exemplary)...

Next time: Manny's (or Mia's), Doughmonkey, some wineries...

Anyways, thanks all. You have a beautiful city :)

Diann, another place to add to your list for next visit is over in Ft Worth. Lanny's Alta Cucina Mexicana in the Cultural District. I dined there Saturday night. We did not opt for the tasting menu but ordered heavily. 3 tapas, 3 soup/salad, 2 entrees, 3 desserts and the bill with out wine came to $145. Great food, really nice atmosphere, much bigger than the original location. Lanny is going to be changing his menu soon with a heavy emphasis on seafood in the style of Mexico. This is not Tex Mex, no rice and beans. In fact one of the highlights was a rissotto with nopales that came with a roasted duck breast. That was good stuff. And the watermelon sorbet with cinnamon was nice. The fois gras with peach marmalade and toasted almonds was awesome.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!