• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicago's Kaiten Zushi

yellow truffle

Is it a buffet, is it a cafeteria, is it a buffeteria? No it's Kaiten Zushi.

eGullet Reference 1

eGullet Reference 2

In the northwest suburbs of Chicago lies an even faster "fast-food," Sushi Station and The Kampai deliver sushi and other small items on 5 inch round plates, via a looping conveyor belt system - in the case of The Kampai, it's delivery system are boats in water.

The Kampai

gallery_15603_1619_8391.jpg

Located in a strip mall in Mt. Prospect, this restaurant combines a Japanese Steak House, karaoke loung and Kaiten Zushi. Actually the strip mall has an Indian, Thai, Chinese and another non-ethnic restaurant.

gallery_15603_1619_16745.jpg

The inside is dark and is divided into three sections. Lots of spot lighting and dark wall coverings make for a dramatic effect. The dining room for the Sushi restaurant is one open room with a large island. The island is large enough to fill the room and is made up of a series of concentric rings. The center of the island, has chefs plating sushi. The next ring has the delivery system, a moat. The outer most ring is where the diner sit and watch the boat parade.

gallery_15603_1619_6352.jpg

Kampai uses a series of wooden boats tethered together with a chain and propelled by jets in the water. Three dishes per boat with wasabi and ginger at the aft of the boat. Like a buffet, the dishes await your interaction. Just grab a plate, or a few and start eating. Not every plate has the same price, so look for the boat with an upright plate to define the colored plate's price category.

gallery_15603_1619_2583.jpg

Each of the dish has a clear plastic cover, which can be discarded. The plate, on the other hand, gets stacked up beside you. The plates must be saved as it is your "ticket" to your meal. Just match the color to the plate and there you have it.

gallery_15603_1619_13143.jpg

Traveling at about 2 knots, its quite easy to eye a dish and pick out something to your liking. Although if you do not see what you are craving, ask for the menu, as there are some items (usually hot or special stuff) that they prepare in the back and the wait staff brings to you.

gallery_15603_1619_14368.jpg

The maki and nigiri are okay. Lots of dessert items and a small selection of fruit. As you can see the kid liked it.

gallery_15603_1619_10116.jpg

The Kampai Japanese Steak House

2330 S. Elmhurst Rd.

Mt. Prospect, IL 60056

847 640 6700

Sushi Station

gallery_15603_1619_30340.jpg

One big difference here is atmosphere. So much more brighter and so much more inviting. These guys use a conveyer belt system within a clear plastic tube. The tube has a series of garage door like door mechanism.

gallery_15603_1619_25209.jpg

Unlike The Kampai, Sushi Station not only has dinner facing the center, but also has a connecting table stretching out perpendicularly to add more table space and more seat.

gallery_15603_1619_28816.jpg

On the metal ribs of the tube are the price per plate, so you can always stay within your budget. The prices are about the same as Kampai, but Sushi Station offers much more sushi selections.

gallery_15603_1619_12383.jpg

One important thing to note is they serve Kirin Ichiban on draft, mmmm. Not too many places in Chicago serve that up.

gallery_15603_1619_27407.jpg

Ordering from their menu offers many a warm dishes. From regular items of gyoza, soba, udon, yakitori to specials like beef tataki.

gallery_15603_1619_34641.jpg

And multi-grade varities of tuna and salmon.

gallery_15603_1619_21809.jpg

The bill.

gallery_15603_1619_35817.jpg

Sushi Station

Kaiten Sushi Restaurant

1641 Algonquin Rd.

Rolling Meadows, IL 60008

847 593 2450

Well there you have it. So you say it looks interesting, but how does it taste. If one were to compare the two, I would easily return to Sushi Station.

gallery_15603_1619_31070.jpg

For one, the fish is so much better. Upon being treated by my Japanese frineds, they can easily place Sushi Station a default for great basic, traditional sushi (not the funky roll stuff) in the Chicagoland area. They feel that for the combination of quality, selection and price, the Station is the way to go.

But for those not too excited about raw fish and rice, and need some more stuff, they have got a wild selection of special rolls, with a broad flavor range of sauces. Dragon, Spider, Rainbow, Mexican, Jamaican, are just some of the few regular maki's.

Not only does the Station offer better quality, they offer a greater selection of ingredients. For example, the last time we were there, they had three grade of regular tuna and one white tuna. They also have two grades of salmon. By grade, I am talking about the about of fat. Higher fat content equals higher price. Toro, Chu-Toro, O-Toro, are the three grades of tuna. We were able to sample all three grades at one time. The Station also has interesting daily specials. I have been to the Station about six times and the specials keep changing.

Yeah sure I think Kaiten Zushi is a gimmick to get you in, but after eating at the Station over 6 times, they are doing something right. Sadly, I have only eaten at Kampai only once.

Image of SUSHI FARM

Damn! That is an amazing shot. That really looks delicious!

This was their way of kicking us out. Instead of the sushi coming around on the conveyor belt, it was being taken away onto a collection tray. No more sushi for you! :shock:

This was their way of kicking us out. Instead of the sushi coming around on the conveyor belt, it was being taken away onto a collection tray. No more sushi for you! :shock:

:angry::sad::angry::sad:

Well, you inspired us; we're having sushi for lunch today. :smile:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Activating...

The pics and descriptions are very very tempting!

Care to discuss the price??

Converted Sushi Lover - my Japanese friend made me try Sashimi and haven't looked back since. Problem is the prohibitive cost involved.

Also do you think Sushi is ok for an 18 month old? i.e. going with my spouse and kid...?

<edit to add>

sorry didn't check out the website - so have an idea of the price.

but just curious on how much an average tab runs out to be?

</edit to add>

Edited by liv4fud (log)

Located in a strip mall in Mt. Prospect, this restaurant combines a Japanese Steak House, karaoke loung and Kaiten Zushi. Actually the strip mall has an Indian, Thai, Chinese and another non-ethnic restaurant.

The Thai restaurant is Pad Thai which I wrote up here, VERY good, perhaps some of the best Thai in the burbs.

Have tried Kampai a few times recently, quality is really hit/miss. Some really well executed/unique items, then some really horrible ones like serving cheap nasty store bought dumplings, deep frying them and then putting some of the teriyaki like sauce on them that covers unagi.

We will go back seeing as there are some really good items and it is sooooo close to home.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

but just curious on how much an average tab runs out to be?

gallery_15603_1619_10116.jpg

At Kampai, this was around $100 with about 3 large beers, 3 iced green teas, tax and tip

gallery_15603_1619_35817.jpg

At Sushi Station, this was around $120, with about 6 glasses of beer, tax and tip.

The Thai restaurant is Pad Thai which I wrote up here, VERY good, perhaps some of the best Thai in the burbs.

And so you did.

Will have to try it out. BTW, have you been to "Crabs and Things?" It has such a funny name and their sign is classic. Located just north of the restaurant mall on the other side of the street, some of my Korean friends have had good things to say about it.

Have tried Kampai a few times recently, quality is really hit/miss. Some really well executed/unique items, then some really horrible ones like serving cheap nasty store bought dumplings, deep frying them and then putting some of the teriyaki like sauce on them that covers unagi.

We will go back seeing as there are some really good items and it is sooooo close to home.

We ordered one item from the menu and it was the gyoza. Not good. Microwaved, perhaps.

I would suggest traveling a few more miles out of your way and give Sushi Station a try. It will be well worth the trip.

Sushi/sashimi has become as prolific as McDonald's. Me, I like to converse with the chef about what is good and how to prepare it ata sushi bar. I won't eat at a place that hands me a piece of paper and asks me to make check marks about what i want or restaurants with conveyor belts. Sushi is not just about eating fish and rice but is a cultural tradition that requires knowledge of the cusine and its protocol. It also helps if the chef has had classical training in Japan. -Dick

Sushi/sashimi has become as prolific as McDonald's. Me, I like to converse with the chef about what is good and how to prepare it ata sushi bar. I won't eat at a place that hands me a piece of paper and asks me to make check marks about what i want or restaurants with conveyor belts. Sushi is not just about eating fish and rice but is a cultural tradition that requires knowledge of the cusine and its protocol. It also helps if the chef has had classical training in Japan. -Dick

It is imaginable that there some traditionalists that may criticize Kaiten Zushi as possibly dismantling the "cultural tradition that requires knowledge of the cusine and its protocol," but this is not Urasawa or Masa.

Kaiten Zushi was created in Japan, in the 70's, with the focus on price-conscious customers, who may be rushed for a meal. It was also probably geared towards foreigners and children as they may not have any knowledge about sushi, and provides a visual ordering method of the items you want. It is you that takes the plate from the conveyor belt.

This is not a sushi restaurant, so you may not find all the things that you are used to at your local Kamehachi. Sushi Station has items that are comparable, if not better, to that of sushi or izakaya restaurants in Chicago.

And so you did.

Will have to try it out. BTW, have you been to "Crabs and Things?" It has such a funny name and their sign is classic. Located just north of the restaurant mall on the other side of the street, some of my Korean friends have had good things to say about it.

Yes, that is the big yellow sign restaurant right? I've been quite pleased with a few items we've tried from there, we need to get back there soon, we've been so happy w/Pad Thai that we keep forgetting to go back to Crabs & Things.

Next sushi dining will be at Sushi Station.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

Also I think there are 1-2 other kaitenzushi restaurants in the Chicago area:

1. Jurin Japanese Restaurant: 588 Randel Rd, South Elgin, 847-488-1290

2. Sushi Doraku (Benihana) - I think they had kaitenzushi but changed over to a traditional restaurant

3. Sushi World??

:rolleyes:

Paul

猿も木から落ちる - Saru mo ki kara ochiru

(Even monkeys can fall from a tree)

Fascinating thread.

It is imaginable that there some traditionalists that may criticize Kaiten Zushi as possibly dismantling the "cultural tradition that requires knowledge of the cusine and its protocol," but this is not Urasawa or Masa.

Kaiten Zushi was created in Japan, in the 70's, with the focus on price-conscious customers, who may be rushed for a meal. It was also probably geared towards foreigners and children as they may not have any knowledge about sushi, and provides a visual ordering method of the items you want. It is you that takes the plate from the conveyor belt.

This is not a sushi restaurant, so you may not find all the things that you are used to at your local Kamehachi. Sushi Station has items that are comparable, if not better, to that of sushi or izakaya restaurants in Chicago.

Thanks to kaiten zushi, sushi has regained its initial status as fast food, and I am really glad about it.

Slightly off topic, but what do you think of the jika system?

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=53052&hl=jika

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, kaitenzushi, which translates to "Conveyor Belt Sushi" was first started in downtown Osaka Japan in 1958 by Yoshiaki Shiraishi. He got the idea for conveyor belt sushi when he went on a plant tour in a beer factory and saw the beer bottles on a moving conveyor belt. Today there are approximately 5,000 conveyor belt sushi restaurants in Japan where it is considered its own unique market segment. Conveyor belt sushi has spread throughout Asia and Europe. Here in the USA there are only about three or four dozen restaurants, mainly on the west coast.

:rolleyes:

Paul

猿も木から落ちる - Saru mo ki kara ochiru

(Even monkeys can fall from a tree)