• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tiramisu without eggs

ALTAF

Hi. I`m trying to create a TIRAMISU recipe with out using fresh eggs, whipping cream insted. So added gelatine to the cream mixture and found out later that the gelatine did not dissolve completly in hot water :angry: . I used 1 gelatine envelope ( not powder but granulars, its the only kind i can find in my country) . Have you got a solution to this problem and a tiramisu recipe with out alchohols too?

:blush:

Hmmmm....

I don't see why you couldn't make one w/o eggs but you need to melt the gelatine after "blooming" it either in a microwave or in a pan over heat.

Cool it to room temp or close to it and add to your mix.

If it "specks" up, that is, your whipped cream gets lumpy with the gelatine, put your mix into a food processor ( cuisineart, robocoupe, etc.) or blender and smooth it out that way, it will still set up.

As far as avoiding alcohol, you can just use coffee sweetened and soak your cake with it and if you can use it, an almond extract or essence would sub nicely for the amaretto.

Unless that is forbidden?

Can you get an alcohol free almond extract in Kuwait?

2317/5000

Gelatin should be bloomed in cold water, for 5-10 minutes, and then melted, either over a simmering water bath or in a microwave. Make sure you sprinkle the gelatin into the water; don't add water to gelatin--it will stay clumped up.

I worked for a pastry chef who did not use alcohol. For his tiramisu, I think he used coffee that was brewed stronger and some Trablit. I dont' think Trablit has alcohol, or else he wouldn't have used it.

Hmmmm....

I don't see why you couldn't make one w/o eggs but you need to melt the gelatine after "blooming"  it either in a microwave or in a pan over heat.

Cool it to room temp or close to it and add to your mix.

If it "specks" up, that is, your whipped cream gets lumpy with the gelatine, put your mix into a food processor ( cuisineart, robocoupe, etc.) or blender and smooth it out that way, it will still set up.

As far as avoiding alcohol, you can just use coffee sweetened and soak your cake with it and if you can use it, an almond extract or essence would sub nicely for the amaretto.

Unless that is forbidden?

Can you get an alcohol free almond extract in Kuwait?

Hi tan319,

Thanks for the information. Yes we have free alcohole almond extract (artificial). but where should i add it in the cream mixture or with the coffee made for socking?

One other thing, i noticed that a lot of tiramisu recipes require a small amount of coffee liquer to add in the cream mixture. Any advice?

By th way i use savaiordi (lady finger) biscutes. I really would like to make a tiramisu using eggs, but afraid of 2 things : 1- egg smell 2- the cream miture might not hold or sit up.

Gelatin should be bloomed in cold water, for 5-10 minutes, and then melted, either over a simmering water bath or in a microwave.  Make sure you sprinkle the gelatin into the water; don't add water to gelatin--it will stay clumped up. 

I worked for a pastry chef who did not use alcohol.  For his tiramisu, I think he used coffee that was brewed stronger and some Trablit.  I dont' think Trablit has alcohol, or else he wouldn't have used it.

Hi tekna,

I did bloomed the gelatine in cold water for 5 minutes then placed it over a simmering bath, but it did not melt. I feel it's the gelatine i'm using is not powdery....

thanks for the help

Regarding the coffee liquer thing, you could just use some instant coffee grains, a good espresso one.

I'm not sure what you mean about "egg smell" :blink:

I wouldn't use any egg that smelled bad, right???

You can add the almond extract anywhere.

Typically, when I make something like Tiramisu, I add the amaretto to the coffee/sugar solution I soak the cake with.

Good Luck!

2317/5000

if its gelatin you shouldnt have a problem weather its granular, powdered or sheets. Basically all its doing is absorbing water in "bloom" and then you "clarify" it by heating it. If its not "clarifying" then it hasn't absorbed water correctly. Make sure that when you sprnikle it over the water that you do it consistently and evenly and try not to "pile it on" or some of the gelatin may not come into contact with the water.

When you clarify make sure you don't boil the gelatin or it will greatly decrease its power. Just heat it until its quite warm to the touch and then drizzle it into the cream while whisking. If you need you can strain the clarified gelatin while its warm but make sure you dont loose much gelatin, and if need be bloom more to replace your losses.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

I feel like such a dope asking this, but what is granular gelatin? I've used powder and sheets, can't say that I've ever seen granular. Advantages, disadvantages, anyone?

ALTAF--is there any chance your granular gelatin that won't melt is really agar agar?

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Altaf, this is the recipe I've been using for tiramisu (the recipe comes from my chef and I'm not sure where he got it from). It doesn't use gelatin at all.

1 quart heavy cream

1 lb. mascarpone

4 oz. powder sugar

8 egg yolks (I use pasturized raw egg product)

1/4 c. amaretto

1/4 c. frangelico

Put all of those ingredients into you mixer at once. Use a whisk attachement and whip this until full and firm like whip cream.

In a seperate bowl, whip this:

8 egg whites (again I use pasturized eggs)

4 oz. powdered sugar

Whip until firm then fold this into your mascarpone mixture.

Is it that you can't use eggs of any sort or is it that you don't want to use uncooked eggs? If you can use eggs, look for pasteurized eggs to avoid salmonella worries..........and you could use meringue powder in place of fresh whites. If you can't use eggs at all, you can make this recipe omiting them...........it will work but it will me more of a marscapone whip cream then a true tiramisu.

For my soaking syrup I use:

3 c. coffee

1/2 c. amaretto

1/2 c. frangelico

2 tbsp. coffee extract

all mixed together. If you can't use real alcohol.........aren't there bottle of flavoring that are similar sans alcohol? If you can't find that just use a slightly sweetened rich dark coffee...

This tirimisu recipe is not firm enough to use in a cake. I assemble this recipe in glasses.

Method:

Pipe some marscarpone mousse in glass. Quickly dip purchased firm lady fingers in coffee syrup lightly, layer over mousse, sprinkle with cocoa powder. Add another mousse layer, followed by another ladyfinger layer, sprinkle with cocoa powder. Do this until your glass is full. Finish with a top sprinkle of cocoa powder or chocolate curls.

I add a sprinkle of cocoa powder to each layer of my lady fingers. Traditionally you only add it to the top layer. But I like the extra cocoa.

Just so you know, if you plan to use a liqueur, the original liqueur for tiramisu was Strega.

Frau Farbissma: "It's a television commercial! With this cartoon leprechaun! And all of these children are trying to chase him...Hey leprechaun! Leprechaun! We want to get your lucky charms! Haha! Oh, and there's all these little tiny bits of marshmallow just stuck right in the cereal so that when the kids eat them, they think, 'Oh this is candy! I'm having fun!'"

Just so you know, if you plan to use a liqueur, the original liqueur for tiramisu was Strega.

For years now I've seen recipes for tirimisu and each recipe practically uses a different liquour...........so I've never really been sure which liquour to use or what combo is correct.

So I'm all eyes.........can someone ditto Afn33282 with certainty?

For years now I've seen recipes for tirimisu and each recipe practically uses a different liquour...........so I've never really been sure which liquour to use or what combo is correct.

So I'm all eyes.........can someone ditto Afn33282 with certainty?

I'm so sorry; in high school they taught me never to cite a "fact" without the source, and I've forgotten where I learned this from, BUT: It was a book on Italian cooking when I was in my Italian reading phase; The book seemed quite authoritative and named the restaurant at which Tiramisu was invented. I even used to remember the town, but no longer! Of course I have learned as I have gone along that when it comes to cooking, and, I'm sure, many other things, reported "facts" are often contradicted in another book. So take it all with a grain of salt. And if I ever find that source I will let you know! Maybe the good folks at Saveur know; I bet Gourmet back in it's heyday (the Saveur of it's day) could have told us too--maybe they still can. And even Martha Stewart Living seems pretty good at answering research-y questions, but usually more about technique. Best,

Chris

Ahh! I deleted my long edit!!! Okay, again, Tiramisu is variously credited to the following restaurants in Treviso, the Veneto, Italy: Le Beccherie, El Toula, and El Touga (thanks Google). By the way, there are a lot more Google results on El Toula that El Touga, and most of those are in Italian, so I am guessing that "El Touga" is a misspelling. Also, cooks variously use either Savoiardi (sp?) or other ladyfinger cookies or sponge cake, and various liqueurs. This post says that Strega is not a good choice to mix with mascarpone (not pronounced "Mar-sca-pone") and coffee flavors. Best.

P.S. I think it was the Volpi book I had read....

Edited by afn33282 (log)
Frau Farbissma: "It's a television commercial! With this cartoon leprechaun! And all of these children are trying to chase him...Hey leprechaun! Leprechaun! We want to get your lucky charms! Haha! Oh, and there's all these little tiny bits of marshmallow just stuck right in the cereal so that when the kids eat them, they think, 'Oh this is candy! I'm having fun!'"

• 2 months later...

I'm allergic to raw or undercooked egg yolks, but I'd really like to make tiramisu at home. I've enjoyed it at restaurants, despite the terrible sore throat that the eggs give me. I figure I could just use marscapone without mixing it with egg yolks, as I've seen in some recipes. I was wondering if anyone had a particular recipe without eggs though. Thanks.

I make Tiramisu at home and don't use eggs!

Here's the recipe I use:

Combine:

12 oz cream cheese

4 oz light sour cream

1 cup powder sugar

5 Tbsp marsala

In a separate bowl, mixed together:

1/2 cup very strong coffee (I use instant espresso)

2 Tbsp marsala

granulated sugar (I can't remember how much exactly, a few tablespoons to make the coffee sweet - I usually just taste the mixture since some marsala wines are sweeter than others)

When coffee mixture is cooled, assemble tiramisu by:

Lady fingers (you need to get the crunchy type, coated with sugar on one side - don't use fresh ones as they will get too soggy): dipped them into the coffee mixture, sugar side down, an put them on the bottom of a glass dish (a rectangular dish or loaf pan would work).

When you've got a single layer of lady fingers, top with a layer of cream cheese mixture. Keep layering until you've used all the cream cheese mixture, with the top layer being a cream cheese layer. Cover and refridgrate for at least 8 hours. Before serving, dust the top with coco powder or decorate with shaved chocolate.

Enjoy!