• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese crisp roast pork

chef jeff

My father would bring down a few links for me to eat with my steamed rice.  The sausage (lap cheong), an overeasy egg, and steamed rice is a universal Chinese comfort meal.

Canucklehead, what is the typical way to prepare Chinese sausages on their own (rather for use in a recipe)? I believe the packages often suggest boiling, but this can't be the best way.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

You add the link (either whole or sliced on the diagonal) with your rice just before you start cooking it. No need to adjust the water. If it is sliced open - the sausage scents the rice with its cured meat flavor.

Comfort food for me - I could shovel bowfuls of it down my gullet. When I was a kid - my mother took me and my brother on a bus tour of Disneyland. She packed a rice cooker, rice, and lap cheong. On nights when she had her fill of the western food - she would fire up the rice cooker, throw in the lap cheong - and we would have our own in-house meal.

At the time - it seemed a little humilating that we were cooking in a hotel room while the rest of the tour bus was chowing down at Denny's. But I must admit - I will get a hankering once in a while for Chinese cured meats and rice - but strangely, I never crave "Moons over Mi-Hammy".

At the time - it seemed a little humilating that we were cooking in a hotel room while the rest of the tour bus was chowing down at Denny's.

Humiliating? I'd say you were lucky. Thanks for the tip, I've read about the steamed rice with lap cheong and will try that soon.

Is lap cheong ever cooked and eaten solo and not with other ingredients? If so, would you steam it for best flavor?

Is lap cheong ever cooked and eaten solo and not with other ingredients? If so, would you steam it for best flavor?

Yes, lap cheong is often simply steamed (my grandmother used to slice them in half, put them in a bowl atop a trivet or small can with both end lids 'cut off' over boiling water in a covered pot), then sliced diagonally and presented on a bed of sliced cucumbers. Sometimes, for a special treat, the lap cheong would be sliced and fried until crispy.

I agree that Dollar Meat makes the best lap cheong. I like the regular stuff, but also love the Pork and Chicken Liver Sausage - more complex flavour and softer texture.

I like the regular stuff, but also love the Pork and Chicken Liver Sausage - more complex flavour and softer texture.

I'm one of those western kids that ran screaming from the neighbourhood when you smelled from five blocks away that your mom was cooking liver and onions. If you're like me, you might not like the liver lap cheong. I've always given the slices from those to my wife.

Yes, lap cheong is often simply steamed (my grandmother used to slice them in half, put them in a bowl atop a trivet or small can with both end lids 'cut off' over boiling water in a covered pot), then sliced diagonally and presented on a bed of sliced cucumbers.  Sometimes, for a special treat, the lap cheong would be sliced and fried until crispy. 

Thanks lannie. Exactly the info I was looking for.