• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian Supper Club

Soup

I had lunch today at the Indian Supper club in the worldgate center in reston. They have the lunch time buffet for $9. I have been to a lot of indian buffets and i can definetly say that this was the worst indian buffet I've ever eaten. The rice was greasy (i'm assuming alot of ghee), the quality of rice used was poor, the selection of condiments and dishes was limited. What was there was bland and poor. I will not go back to this place. What a waste of time and money.

I had lunch today at the Indian Supper club in the worldgate center in reston.  They have the lunch time buffet for $9.  I have been to a lot of indian buffets and i can definetly say that this was the worst indian buffet I've ever eaten.  The rice was greasy (i'm assuming alot of ghee), the quality of rice used was poor, the selection of condiments and dishes was limited.  What was there was bland and poor.  I will not go back to this place.  What a waste of time and money.

I went a few months ago and would agree - never again.

Not with Minerva a two minute drive a way on the other side of the toll road.

Bill Russell

I went a few months ago and would agree - never again.

Not with Minerva a two minute drive a way on the other side of the toll road.

I've been to Supper Club many times and it's always been good. I've been to Minerva precisely once and haven't ever had the desire to return. In fact, I've said pretty much the same thing you said above, just in reverse.

It's undoubtedly a difference in preferences - Supper Club's menu is mostly northern Indian, Minerva's is southern. You're going to get thinner sauces and more thermonuclear heat at Minerva, you're going to get a little more subtlety (and yes, more ghee) at Supper Club.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

I've only been to the Ascot in downtown DC a handful of times, but I've always enjoyed it. The bread is always freshly made, the rice is fluffy and not greasy, the vegetable dishes are always tasty, and the meat dishes are mostly good with a couple of misses here and there. BTW, when I go it's usually with a group of co-workers--some regular employees, some interns. We're a pretty multi-national office and there are usually at least a couple of them who are from India and/or Pakistan and they really enjoy it as well.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Supper Club used to be really good.  I wonder what happened. Its too bad.

Soup - I did a piece on Indian buffets for Virginia Living. If you are interested I can mail you a copy

I would really appreciate the article. BTW, really enjoyed your article in the post this week.

My wife and I are still looking for the indian place in washington. We use to live about 2 miles from Devon (little india) in Chicago and we still miss it.

I've only been to the Ascot in downtown DC a handful of times, but I've always enjoyed it. 

jenrus worked around the corner from Ascot and says it is one of the only things she misses about that job. Although she ordered off the menu and isn't a big fan of buffets.

Bill Russell