• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thai Curry Components

I received an email from a visitor to our website and he is having an argument with a friend about Thai curries. The friend has visited Thailand numerous times and claims that authentic (loaded word, I know) Thai curries never contain coconut milk. Are there geographic regions in Thailand where coconut milk would never be used in curry and could this explain the friend's opinion? I have traveled extensively in Thailand and never thought about this one way or another. Thai cuisine experts we look to you for answers!

"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." TMJ Jr. R.I.P.

Although the curry pastes themselves don't contain coconut, they are often mixed coconut milk in many dishes.

This has always been my understanding as well. What would a curry that didn't use coconut milk use instead?

Yes, I am familiar with some variations such as the one you describe but not exactly how they are made.

The question is whether those with coconut milk are less authentic for some reason or the ones without are geographically centered in a particular area.

Sorry, that came out a bit confusing. I am curious about all known variations of curry in Thailand.

edited for clarity as usual.

Edited by glossyp (log)

What you can rightly claim without fear of being contradicted is that not all Thai curries include coconut milk. All the curries that I tried when I was there though contained differing proportions of coconut milk. They all tasted perty authentic to me.

Gato ming gato miao busca la vida para comer

Oh. Well, I ate tons of curries with coconut milk in them in Thailand. All over the place, and mostly in places with no farangs besides me and mine. The word curry itself is a bit of a muddle anyhow, so "authenticity" arguments would have to start somewhere in India, right? Where they don't even call it a curry unless they're speaking English. So I'm not really sure what your friend is getting at.

regards,

trillium

Thanks everyone for your input. The arguing parties, as it were, happen to be two lawyers (no irony there!) and my role in the whole thing is as mediator. They have agreed to abide by the consensus of this forum since I managed to convince them that there was a wealth of Thai cuisine knowledge residing here. :biggrin:

What a loaded issue? You're going to have a tough time mediating this one.

The main problem is the concept of the word "curry" as used in English doesn't have a direct counterpart in the Thai language. "Curry", as used in English, is a sort of close approximation of the meaning of the Thai word "Gang, or Gaeng". Though the sound itself must have come from the word Gari or Kari.

Gang (or Gaeng, or Geng,) refers generally to a liquid-based dish. There are many types of Gang with coconut milk in it, and there are also many without. Gang could be spicy or mild, based on paste or stock, eaten with rice/noodles/roti/even alone.

Kari, or Gari, in Thai, refers to a particular type of Gang that is influenced by Muslim cooking in the South. It's quite mild and contains coconut milk.

Examples of Gang with coconut milk:

Gang Ped, Gang Kari, Gang Kiew wan

Gang without coconut milk:

Gang Pah, Gang Som, Gang Lueng

Mild gang:

Gang Jued

and on and on and on.....

Edited by pim (log)

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

Mahalo to all for their contributions. I feel confident in moving forward to resolution. I will report back with results.