• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great pancakes

Any suggestions for terrific pancakes-the kind where your fork cuts through them like butter, rather than the kind that you have to really saw through? I've long given up finding good ones in a restaurant (with one northern California exception) but with 4 weeks left on our kitchen remodel, I'm really dying for a 'cake.

Pancake Chef in Tukwila....no, really...

I'm hardly a pancake conossieur, but I always enjoy them.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I like mine no bigger around than a CD and about as dark as maple syrup. I also like my butter whipped until it's soft.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Thanks.

I actually had terrific blueberry buttermilk pancakes on the way home from camping this weekend in Greenwater (north of Mt. Rainier on Hwy 410) at Buzzy's Greenwater Cafe. Geraldine's is definitely closer, though.

Kiliki, get thee down to Geraldine's Counter and have their pancakes. High on the YUM factor, and meeting your "soft as butter" requirment.

The only problem with Geraldine's Counter - if it can be considered a problem - is that they rotate which pancakes they make daily. I'm not sure if there is a definite rotation. However, if your mouth is hankering for a buttermilk pancake and it's not on the menu....

The yam fries are good and definitely worth it.

I am not a big pancake person. Dates from my childhood when I ate a lot of cold, ugly ones at summer camp. My bride and I went to a not-mentioned-yet-on-the-board restaurant in Redmond for brunch--Pomegranate. A wonderful place. I promise a full board on it soon.

My bride ordered their lemon-candied ginger oatcakes. I tried them. I was in heaven. I prayed she would not be able to finish them. My prayers were answered and she left me almost an entire pancake. You have to try them. You can find them at http://www.lisaduparcatering.com/Pomegranate.aspx?Nav=Home

Will do.

In my continuing quest (yet not wanting to venture far outside the neighborhood before caffeine first thing in the morning) we went to The Original Pancake House on 15th in Crown Hill. I'd previously ignored it since I knew it was a chain and family oriented (snobby, I know) but what the hell, I wanted pancakes. The Swedish pancakes I had really hit the spot; the regular buttermilk cakes were pretty good and I was impressed at how well run the place was. There was coffee, water and slices of apple pancake set up in the waiting area, the wait was short despite the long line, and service was great. The coffee cups were extra big so my quick-drinking boyfriend didn't drain his then sit around fidgeting for more like usual, and my tea order came as a big pot of water with 2 tea bags and two lemon wedges. Sometimes its the thoughful little things. I will go back and try the Dutch Baby next time.