• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite PNE food (Merged)

Daddy-A

A) They're not coming to Chambar.

B) They'll need intensive therapy regardless of if I take them to the PNE. Besides I enjoy the show with the rednecks jumping motorbikes over Honda Civics doing barrel rolls. I also like watching and questioning the sanity of people that go on that giant propellor thing, or the Mighty Mouse. I also quite enjoy a yearly mullet spotting outing. It's just the total crap food people are waxing about that I hate.

Most of the clientele of the fair resemble hairy monkeys, so you'tre going to be a biut more specific regarding the elastic ones.

And besides, I'm obligated to attend. The current battle at the Casa Talent revolves around the fact that I'm incredibly reluctant to give those completely evil bastards at Disney any cash (do a little reading, they make Rummy look sincere.) Ergo, forced to pick my battles I'll be at the fair, eating crap donuts and worse hot dogs.

And besides, I'm obligated to attend. The current battle at the Casa Talent revolves around the fact that I'm incredibly reluctant to give those completely evil bastards at Disney any cash

Hey, don't knock Disney ! They now serve alcohol and you can go to a wine tasting in the California Dreaming Adventure Park. That should make the trip somewhat bearable - I know it did for me !

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

And besides, I'm obligated to attend. The current battle at the Casa Talent revolves around the fact that I'm incredibly reluctant to give those completely evil bastards at Disney any cash

Hey, don't knock Disney ! They now serve alcohol and you can go to a wine tasting in the California Dreaming Adventure Park. That should make the trip somewhat bearable - I know it did for me !

Just wait 'til your kids are old enough to explore California Adventure by themselves like mine are!!

Okay kids, go and ride California Screamin' as many times as you like. Mom & Dad have a flight of Pinot to get through ...

:biggrin: Sweet :biggrin:

Back to the PNE ... Keith, with the exception of the pekoras at "Curry in a Hurry" I crave absolutely NOTHING from the Fair. For me, it's more of a morbid curiosity to see if the burger at Jimmy's can get any soggier, or if kettle corn is really as addictive as crack. And yer right, it ain't cheap.

A.

Um - and I did buy some of those "Toastabags" one year.  The idea of making a grilled cheese sandwich in the toaster really spoke to the evil inner child in me.

No, no, no, the truly evil inner child would have you make your grilled cheese in the VCR! Toasters are for the good kids. :smile:

Mamacat and I hit the PNE every year, primarily as an exercise in people-watching. We usually go to Jimmy's Lunch for the obligatory onion fill, and invariably a bag of donuts is consumed. I would happily time this year's visit to coincide with the Daddy-A/Ling Greasy PNE Slop Cage Match 2005. I watched many a milk-drinking contest in my UBC days (who can down a 4L jug of cold milk the fastest, no peeing/puking allowed), and the thrill of competitive eating simultaneously excites me and motivates me to keep going to the gym.

Anybody know if Hot Dog Jonny's is going to have a stand at the fair again this year? When their Denman St. location closed, I remember hearing rumblings that they would continue to show up at the PNE...

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

I would happily time this year's visit to coincide with the Daddy-A/Ling Greasy PNE Slop Cage Match 2005.

It is with regret that Ling & I have decided to postpone our grudge match. I was going to say she bailed, but you'd all know I was fibbin'. Scheduling conflicts are the culprit. We have however begun plans for "Pulled Pork at 20 Paces" followed by a "GB Pudding Cage Match".

Johnny's is supposed to be at the Fair this year. However, I think Hunky Bill will be seeing my eatin' money this year. :laugh:

A.

I'm only going to the PNE this year (or any other years) because I got a free ticket. Otherwise, it's not worth it. I think admission is $15 this year and that can buy you a meal at Feenies.

Reading some of the posts here has got me salivating for some carni food and all I wanted to do was buy some Ginsu knives.

I'm only going to the PNE this year (or any other years) because I got a free ticket.  Otherwise, it's not worth it.  I think admission is $15 this year and that can buy you a meal at Feenies.

Reading some of the posts here has got me salivating for some carni food and all I wanted to do was buy some Ginsu knives.

Are you serious? $15??? Sheesh, I was looking forward to it, but now, not so sure. Wanted to see the Super Dog guy for the last time before he retired and have some pakoras and a salmon dog from Johnny's. Free ticket? How? :smile:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

I'm only going to the PNE this year (or any other years) because I got a free ticket.  Otherwise, it's not worth it.  I think admission is $15 this year and that can buy you a meal at Feenies.

Are you serious? $15??? Sheesh, I was looking forward to it, but now, not so sure. Wanted to see the Super Dog guy for the last time before he retired and have some pakoras and a salmon dog from Johnny's. Free ticket? How? :smile:

Free tickets came as a perk from volunteer work. However, I understand you can get discounted tickets at Safeway and a few other businesses. This info is in the pamphlet in this Saturday's Sun newspaper. Plus, you can use your Safeway air miles to buy these tickets I understand.

Edited by maxmillan (log)

Free tickets came as a perk from volunteer work. However, I understand you can get discounted tickets at Safeway and a few other businesses. This info is in the pamphlet in this Saturday's Sun newspaper. Plus, you can use your Safeway air miles to buy these tickets I understand.

you can get tickets from 7-11 for $10!

Quentina

you can get tickets from 7-11 for $10!

Thank you maxmillan and makanmakan for your replies. :smile:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

Mamacat and I just returned from the annual fair visit/social anthropology field trip. We both had the TC Brat from Hot Dog Jonny's, doused in their yummy cranberry mayo. Followed that up with a hot Fisher Scone with raspberry jam. It was a delicious reminder that I have a package of Fisher Scone mix in my cupboard waiting for its time in the sun.

While it is horribly overpriced, I do recommend a visit to the PNE (particularly a stop at the Motocross show) for any of you who are having a difficult time sticking to a diet. 300lbs of woman spilling out of some Daisy Dukes and showing off 6 inches of thong underwear was only the tip of the proverbial iceberg.

As Mr. Cat would say, "There aren't a lot of people here, but there sure are a ton of 'em."

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm - do I dare admit to buyer's remorse? I went on Sunday - my pockets about $80 lighter and was rewarded horrible debilitating indigestion. Had the donuts, whipple chips and perogies and I was DONE. I thought I was going to need a stomach pump.

For the same expenditure - I had an excellent excellent meal at West the week before.

So - I am not sure if there is any good reason for adults to go to the PNE. It needs to play up more of the country fair aspects - less of the juvenile hall on a field trip elements.

edited to add - That PNE Prize Home must have been some sort of architectural boobey prize - it was ASSpirational in the worse possible way.

Edited by canucklehead (log)