• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite PNE food (Merged)

Daddy-A

It's raining in August in Vancouver, so it must be PNE time.

Besides the obvious Tom-Thumb Donuts, what are your favorite things to eat & drink at our annual fair?

For those who attend other fairs out of town, please pipe in with your faves.

I will make one trip to the PNE this year ... my MUST haves include Butter Chicken from Curry in a Hurry, corn dogs, and pergogies from Hunky Bills.

DA

my MUST haves include Butter Chicken from Curry in a Hurry, corn dogs, and pergogies from Hunky Bills.

DA

Don't they have a Curry in a Hurry in the food court at Lansdowne?

The only things I eat at PNE are the donuts and the elephant ears (aka whale's tails). Mmm...deep-fried cinnamony sugar goodness....

my MUST haves include Butter Chicken from Curry in a Hurry, corn dogs, and pergogies from Hunky Bills.

DA

That would assume I actually travel to Richmond :wink:

I like your "current obsession" ... have you seen the peach picture on Laksa's foodblog??

DA

I think the place in Lansdowne is actually called Curry Express - I love that place!

I went to (Playland) at the PNE a few weeks ago. I had a snowcone there, and it was made with chunks of ice that were way too big (not shaved ice). Imagine the crap shooting out of a snowblower digging into the frozen pile left at the foot of a driveway in suburban Montreal after the plow has come by. All the flavour ended up at the bottom.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

All I need is the smell of the onions that have been cooking for weeks on a buger from the place that has been there 25 years!

That and a bag of the mini donuts ( Ok , maybe two bags ).

Then some fresh squeezed lemonade.

A bite of my kids cotton candy( Ok , maybe two bites ).

Then a bite of my other kids caramel apple.

A piece of fudge from the Food building ,

Oh...... I feel sick. To much junk food........

That does me in for a year.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

DA

That would assume I actually travel to Richmond :wink:

I like your "current obsession" ... have you seen the peach picture on Laksa's foodblog??

DA

Yeah...peaches are sexy. :wink:

Daddy A so glad you hve started this thread. I have never been and this is the first year going. So i was just thinking mini donuts, I didn't think there were other good things. I am getting hungry for junk food

DANIELLE

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."

-Virginia Woolf

Just came back and defnintely NOT worth a trip.. i feel sick! And it is all oh so commercial. A sad event indeed. We need something like Bumbershoot up here and with their food..ooh their philly Cheesesteaks, now that is good festival food

DANIELLE

-Virginia Woolf

There's a short article in The Province today about these scones that they sell at the PNE that have been a tradition for years. I've never seen anyone eating or selling scones at the fair. Anyone had them? Are they really that good?

Fischer Scones! My mom used to drag us all into the Food building just to have those damn scones. AS long as you get them warm and with strawberry jam thay're pretty darn good. Not enought to drag me away from Playland mind you ... bit good.

DA

How do the scones compare to homemade ones? The photo alongside the article shows a bag of scone/shortbread mix, so I assume the scones aren't made from scratch.

I doubt they are made from scratch with the volume they do, but I don't know for sure.

I think this is a case of repuation exceeding expectation ... people just buy Fischer Scones because, well, that's what you do at the PNE. Kinda like the burgers with the onions that have been there since 1965 or Hunky Bill's ... tradition.

But hey, when you're at the fair, have one or five. At least that way you can say you've had one. Then you can shrug your shoulders and wonder what the big deal is, just like the rest of us.

DA

Yes we could all use Bumbershoot, it is definately the festival of the west coast, food, great bands and what a party, hey is that not labour day weekend??

Yup the long weekend it is.. tix are still 40% until the 27th go to bumbershoot.org..it is just so much fun, great line up this year as per usual as well.

DANIELLE

-Virginia Woolf

You ate all that?

We took the monsters to the PNE Friday afternoon. There is NOTHING worth eating there. You may have fond memories from your youth, but then again I have fond momories of Shakey's Pizza and I won't look forwrad to going there again. Let nostalgia remain, don't sully your momories bt eating there.

Jimmy's Lunch served perhaps the worst burger I've ever had, onions and all. How you manage to get "meat" that gray and flavourless, I'll never know.

The buckeye rootbeer is only special in that for the same price you could be drinking a real, albeit flat and watered down beer at the beer garden.

The only almost good thing I had were the wipple or ripple or whimple chips. Essentially fresh potato chips. Would have been about a million times better however if they had plain salt to add, instead of those weird flavour powders you get on store bought chips and now at the movies to put on popcorn. ANd I had an outstanding ear of boiled corn, put that hardly justifies the trouble getting there.

Better minds than mine have observed that you can't go home again, that pretty much sums up attempting to recapture the tastes of youth at the fair.

You may have fond memories from your youth, but then again I have fond momories of Shakey's Pizza and I won't look forwrad to going there again. Let nostalgia remain, don't sully your momories bt eating there.

Hehe ... I was hoping I'd hear from you :biggrin:

I feel the same way about Me 'N Ed's Pizza. I agree totally. That post was more for the other eG-ers.

Truth is, I didn't go last year, and I probably won't go next year.

I would have had the Wiggle Chips but there were so many wasps around the booth, and the wife is alergic ...

I'm still trying to figure out how they can survive at $10 a head.

Arne

How what can survive at ten dollars a head?

Sorry .. weak pronoun reference.

How can the PNE survive charging $10/head?

You'd figure the admission would drive a lot of people away ... A family of 4 (2 adults 2 kids) drops $36 before they even get in. Food ain't cheap, and the FREE stuff ain't worth the price of admission. And the Playland prices go UP during the Fair.

Yet year after year they manage to pull it off.

Just suprises me that's all.

Arne

Daddy-A, that's a pretty impressive amount of food. Did you share all that with your wife?

Was about a 1/3 - 2/3 split in my favour. I didn't eat breakfast that day ... was planning on a big feed. :biggrin:

Arne