• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Suggestions for New York restaurants

brab

I'll be in NYC the weekend of the 19th and would be grateful for restaurant suggestions. I'm not interested in the Boulud, Bouley, Vongerichten types. Tried those last summer and was disappointed and felt that Montreal does haute better. I like Jolifou, Olive and Gourmando, and even Au Pied de Cochon where personally I've never been disappointed, so suggestions for more the neighbourhood casual type would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I'd recommend Cuba on Thompson St (224 I think) in the Village. Affordable, really good mojitos, good and honest cuban food with a band that makes it really casual. Service is a bit on the rude side but the show is in the plate. Food was excellent last time I was there and I'm gooing back in a month. Can get very crowded after 7pm though.

I'm not interested in the Boulud, Bouley, Vongerichten types. Tried those last summer and was disappointed and felt that Montreal does haute better.

Lemme have a hit of what you're smoking...

All kidding aside, make sure you check out BLT, and Kittichai at 60 Thompson in Soho. Neither of these two experiences exist anywhere in Canada that I've been. If you are a meatlover and BLT is too haute for your tastes, Peter Luger will bring you back to earth.

You might want to check the NYC forum as well since this is not really Quebec-related...

Edited by ademello (log)

I'll be in NYC the weekend of the 19th and would be grateful for restaurant suggestions. I'm not interested in the Boulud, Bouley, Vongerichten types. Tried those last summer and was disappointed and felt that Montreal does haute better. I like Jolifou, Olive and Gourmando, and even Au Pied de Cochon where personally I've never been disappointed, so suggestions for more the neighbourhood casual type would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ok, then.

For something as far from haute as can be imagined, try Sylvia's in Harlem (328 Malcolm X Boulevard)- southern soul food and very good it is too.

Upmarket choice would be Picholine. Not cheap, but an experience. 35 W. 64th St. (Upper West Side)

Personally, I think there's a lot to be said for eating ethnic - try Cafe Frida, an excellent Mexican. 368 Columbus Ave. (Upper West Side)

Try Babbo if you like Italien.

Gotham Bar & Grill is a nice place, really fast service!

Grammercy Tavern

Aureole

As for Sushi Japennese:

Sushi Yasuda

Nobu

Fine cuisine better in MTL than NY???

There is great restaurant in NY in Per Se, Le Bernardin, Jean Georges and more...