• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stoney Paradise Tomatoes

The line ups for his stuff are as bad or worse at Trout Lake. Thank God they have a strict no sell policy before 9:00 or it would be chaos.

Oh man, I was so looking forward to a sleep in tomorrow morning, but after reading about Milan's tomatoes being picked by the Hand of God (I think this is a direct quote!), I may have to wait until Sunday to catch up on my sleep. Perhaps I'll dig out my elbow pads from the ole hockey bag, nothing clears crowds faster than rank hockey equipment. Better grab a stick too...

The crowd at Trout Lake would respond better to a supply side economics tome, and a stick of Rightguard, maybe brandish a copy of the National Post too, just for good measure. Nothing scares hippies more than being clean and Reganonmics. I've also always meant to mention to the clueless hemp-clad throngs down there that it's pale sallow people like them that give organic produce a bad name.

The crowd at Trout Lake would respond better to a supply side economics tome, and a stick of Rightguard, maybe brandish a copy of the National Post too, just for good measure. Nothing scares hippies more than being clean and Reganonmics. I've also always meant to mention to the clueless hemp-clad throngs down there that it's pale sallow people like them that give organic produce a bad name.

Ha ha, classic Talent. This is such a great idea, perhaps I'll make up a button that says "Win one for the Gipper" while I'm at it.

Ha ha, classic Talent. This is such a great idea, perhaps I'll make up a button that says "Win one for the Gipper" while I'm at it.

Actually, I think is starting to repeat himself. Running out of material Keith? :laugh:

Brian ... keep an eye out for me. I'm bringing the lacrosse stick. Good weapon, and an extra place to carry tomatoes!

A.

Crap, I seem to be out of material, the well has finally run dry. Then again, universal truths bear repeating. Regardless, feel free to smack those idiots clogging Trout Lake today with thousand dollar baby strollers and five hundred dollar cars.

Enjoy the tomatoes.

Well we did it. Got up early on Saturday, went down to Trout Lake, lined up at 9:03 for a good 15 minutes listening to the hippy lady play her guitar and tell me she's "leaving on a jet plane"... and was rewarded with a pint of Sun Gold cherry tomatoes ($4), a small bag of Cascade tomatoes (Milan's "best all-around tomato"), a Walla Walla, and a small bag of baby green beans.

Under normal circumstances I will pretty much take the alternative over lining up for anything. But in this case... In a side-by-side comparison with some other organic cherry tomatoes from the market, there simply was no comparison. Each of Milan's Sun Golds is like a reduction, so intense is the flavour. No salt or pepper required, they are very sweet and oh so slightly tart already. Very impressive.

Anyway, after a quick round in the market (with no sign of Arne or "J"), we hightailed it out of there. The screaming off-leash children were a little too much that early on the weekend.

PS: After Milan's line cleared, at about 9:30-9:40, there were still a few pints of Sun Golds to be had. However I've been scared by the soup nazi references, and didn't want to exceed my limit lest I be cut off for one year.

• 5 months later...

So I was surfing last night and caught the Chef at Large last night that featured Milan (pronounce it MIH-lan so you too can be in the know) and his legendary tomatoes*. Interesting to see a bit more of his personality, it's true he is a Tomato Nazi - he was talking about crossing chefs off his list if they mistreated his tomatoes, giving them a few weeks to think about it, then maybe reapproaching them to see if they have learned from their time-out.

Also Chef Andrea from Raincity did a couple dishes: gaspacho and tomato tower topped with dungeoness leg (watching Milan trying to eat that in one bite - probably should have ended up on the cutting room floor though), consumme with seared scallop. Looked good. Was waiting for Chef Jeff to appear, no such luck.

Anyway, if it repeats this weekend as I'm sure it will, it's worth the watch.

* Can you overhype a tomato? I don't know. They are increadibly good; when Michael Smith tastes his first one, he proclaims it the best tomato he's ever tasted. And I agree. Anyway, the nice thing about this is that he rations his tomatoes so even if the bandwagon wheels splinter from the weight, us regular folk should still be able to get a taste or two next summer.

Man - you got me all excited when I saw this thread.....I was thinking by some miracle of science Milan had managed to produce tomatoes during the winter.

Six more months..........six loooooooong months

Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography.

~ Robert Byrne