• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stoney Paradise Tomatoes

The first fleshy Cascades, sugary Sun Golds and recalcitrant Moscovitches are coming off the Stoney Paradise vines this week, heavy with flavour and heat. I ate the first ones at C on Sunday evening, so rare as to be a garnish.

But today we went up our dusty street in Kelowna and got greedy, picking a bagful

of the big-breasted brutes.

As usual, Milan will pick into the sunset, rest at the tollboth, and then deliver his troth unto you. At Granville Island, Wednesday morning.

The early bird, as they say, gets the (horn) worm.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

i went to GI today...no market, no milan.

Farmer's markets are on Thursday at Granville Island....I've been waiting for weeks for Milan....please, please be there tomorrow!

Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography.

~ Robert Byrne

Are Stoney Paradise tomatoes really so much better than any of the other heirloom, organic, etc tomatoes available at farmers' markets around the city? Or is there a status factor associated with buying a "branded" tomato?

I'm curious because I've bought tomatoes that taste pretty good at the markets for a couple of weeks now, but the arrival of Milan's tomatoes seem to engender a response close to that which follows the release of a cult wine. Anyone done a blind tasting?

Cheers,

Anne

Are Stoney Paradise tomatoes really so much better than any of the other heirloom, organic, etc tomatoes available at farmers' markets around the city?  Or is there a status factor associated with buying a "branded" tomato? 

I'm curious because I've bought tomatoes that taste pretty good at the markets for a couple of weeks now, but the arrival of Milan's tomatoes seem to engender a response close to that which follows the release of a cult wine.  Anyone done a blind tasting?

Yes, they are better - dare I say, better than my own! (and they're pretty darn good, and exactly the same variety). I chalk it up to something in the soil.....but they truly are amazing - try and you shall see! Nothing I've tried in any other market even comes close - in fact, I was so desperate for an heirloom, I paid $7.50 for one at Whole Foods last weekend.

Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography.

~ Robert Byrne

Are Stoney Paradise tomatoes really so much better than any of the other heirloom, organic, etc tomatoes available at farmers' markets around the city?  Or is there a status factor associated with buying a "branded" tomato? 

I'm curious because I've bought tomatoes that taste pretty good at the markets for a couple of weeks now, but the arrival of Milan's tomatoes seem to engender a response close to that which follows the release of a cult wine.  Anyone done a blind tasting?

Yes, they are better - dare I say, better than my own! (and they're pretty darn good, and exactly the same variety). I chalk it up to something in the soil.....but they truly are amazing - try and you shall see! Nothing I've tried in any other market even comes close - in fact, I was so desperate for an heirloom, I paid $7.50 for one at Whole Foods last weekend.

First off, I'm terribly sorry about my blunder (I'm on vacation time)--of course the truck markets are on Thursday mornings at GI.

Second, many folks (Maw aussi) put the heady flavour of Milan's tomatoes up to the rocky soil that bears their fruit. Like the best grape vines, the tomato plants have to struggle to promote that fruit. Another factor I find attractive is their low cost. The other day we took a pound of haricots vert, some huge Walla Walla onions, several zukes and a kilo of tomatoes for $10.

But certainly Milan's personality and reputation enter into the equation as well: It's not uncommon to bump into a chef in the fields at Stoney Paradise, down on his hands and knees, searching for tomato perfection.

As a rule, he won't have to look very long.

I daresay there's a recognition factor attached to Milan's 'brand' as well, i.e. knowing that you're eating the same lusty globes that are being served in some of the best restaurants around the town.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Walla Walla has been moved to Kelowna? Wonders never cease. I'd have far prefered if they moved Vidalia to Vernon, or even better, Maui to Naramata.

It's common knowledge that Rutland is the Kihei of Kelowna.

Not incidentally, the garden variety Walla Walla is a near ideal accompaniment (with some basil, a punchy vinaigrette and some good salt) to Milan's pommes d'amour. A twist of coarse pepper also recommends itself.

But how to judge ripeness? A ripe tomato should smell so, and should supplicate itself to one's hand much like a pert but mature breast so that wicked abandon must shortly follow.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

I was at the Market this morning at 9:10 - I got the last basket of Sungold's from Milan - all the other tomatoes were gone, and all he had left were some Walla Walla's and some green and yellow beans. It looked like he didn't bring down much on this trip? He's usually got tomatoes till at least 10 am.

~ Robert Byrne

We just got our first delivery of Milan's Tomatoes last night, and will be doing just what Jamie mentioned; a nice salad of room tempurature (very important) tomatoes, thinly sliced walla walla onions, fresh torn basil leaves, and a simple extra virgin olive oil and balsmic vinager dressing with a sprinkle of fleur de sel.

With the arrival of peaches a couple of days ago, and Milan's tomatoes, Summer has finally started for me!

room tempurature (very important) tomatoes,

Milan's tomatoes

good point .

"Heres your tomatoes , but dont put them in the fridge "

" Thanks Milan , heres your check but don`t put it in the bank "

Never let Milan in your cold room , he just goes mental.

half of the pleasure of his great products is his character.

Milan if your reading this , don`t go changing

Edited by transfattyacid (log)
tt

Second, many folks (Maw aussi) put the heady flavour of Milan's tomatoes up to the rocky soil that bears their fruit. Like the best grape vines, the tomato plants have to struggle to promote that fruit. Another factor I find attractive is their low cost. The other day we took a pound of haricots vert, some huge Walla Walla onions, several zukes and a kilo of tomatoes for $10.

But certainly Milan's personality and reputation enter into the equation as well: It's not uncommon to bump into a chef in the fields at Stoney Paradise, down on his hands and knees, searching for tomato perfection.

As a rule, he won't have to look very long.

I daresay there's a recognition factor attached to Milan's 'brand' as well, i.e. knowing that you're eating the same lusty globes that are being served in some of the best restaurants around the town.

I made a detour to the market on the way to work this morning in time to pick up a pint of Sungolds (1 per customer, that's nice to share them around), so now I can agree that, yes, they are better. So I am officially a convert. I've been snacking on them all day at the office and may not have enough left to make even a small salad for dinner.

Cheers,

Anne

I cruised the truck market this morning at 8:15 ... no Milan, no blissful tomatoes. He is usually set up by that time, so ... maybe next week?

I had a (very sweet and dear) friend go for me this morning. She was there around 8, said she had to fight off the hordes, and was able to score me a basket of sungolds and a handful of tomatoes ~ shortly to be sliced, placed between two slices of toasted home-made rosemary garlic bread along with some thinly sliced crispy golden smoked bacon from oyama and savoured...

< Linda >

So this inconvenience I have called a "job" got in the way of my trip to GI and tomatoes from Milan.  Is his trip to the truck market a regular thing now, or was this a one-off?

A.

Daddy A, do you want to swap a couple of Milan's tomatoes for some custom kitchen work at the restaurant?

So this inconvenience I have called a "job" got in the way of my trip to GI and tomatoes from Milan.  Is his trip to the truck market a regular thing now, or was this a one-off?

A.

Daddy A, do you want to swap a couple of Milan's tomatoes for some custom kitchen work at the restaurant?

How about some smoked chicken (smoking on Saturday) and some basil and an eggplant from our garden?

Kitchen design services will cost you a couple glasses of Alibi ... and that's just MY time. :cool:

A.

A.

How about some smoked chicken (smoking on Saturday) and some basil and an eggplant from our garden?

Kitchen design services will cost you a couple glasses of Alibi ... and that's just MY time. :cool:

A.

Sounds Good Arne, but I didn't get many tomatoes yet either, so I am talking a handful!

Stop by. The kitchen door is at 48 kingsway

Jeff

Now that his production has started Milan should be at the G. I. market every Thursday and at Trout Lake every Saturday- Aug and Sept.

The line ups for his stuff are as bad or worse at Trout Lake. Thank God they have a strict no sell policy before 9:00 or it would be chaos.

I have to hand it him on his egalitarian sales policy because he could easily sell everything he makes to the restaurants and yet he still takes the time for the markets.

Don't cross him though or he can be worse than the Soup Nazi...... "No tomatoes for You!!"

Rats, I missed it. While buying tomatoes and Wallas at the Nat Baileys, I overheard someone mention that his tomato plant is full of fruit but hardly ready to be harvested...something to do with the early warm weather and intermittent cold temperature. Could this be the reason Milan has a small amout at GI? I may have to make a trip to Whole Foods to see what the hubbub is about.

Meanwhile, I just had the most delicious organic tomato, onion and green salad, all purchased from Nat Baileys yesterday. It is so good it didn't need dressing.

Rats, I missed it.  While buying tomatoes and Wallas at the Nat Baileys, I overheard someone mention that his tomato plant is full of fruit but hardly ready to be harvested...something to do with the early warm weather and intermittent cold temperature.

:laugh::laugh: I think that was me!!!

A.